Ammo Crate Stencils

tsakers85

I have this ammo crate that I painted red at some point in my life...

I was going to stencil "Explosives" on it in yellow but got to thinking something else might look better. Can anyone provide any suggestions?

IMG_1593.jpg

El Bibliotecario

FWIW, ammunition isnt an explosive. But it's your box and you should write whatever on it that pleases you. Ammunition is typically marked with a lot number, and the nomenclature of the contents, including the method of pack; i.e in clips, boxes, etc. I'm sure those who find this sort of thing important can add far more definitive answers.

I'm trying to recall the colors of USGI ammunition crates I've seen or own, and most of them were/are natural wood with black stencils. But I also have at least one brown one with,nicely contrasting yellow lettering. I have a couple light bilous green crates with black stenceling, but I believe these were for pyrotechnics. Years ago I received some ammunition directly from Savanna Army Depot which came in a crate painted gray. Hopefully this gives you some color choices if you get tired of red.

I also have a crate identical to yours--which as best I recall was originally brown--but itsoriginally contained NBC stuff.

How about the Ordinance Insignia, in a gold paint.

Maybe it will look a little to much like Marine Corps, but your box is red.

post-8213-1285910706.jpg

So it's clearly not correct, I'm only using the box to sit a display torso on, but here's what I think I will do in either yellow or white:

Stencil.jpg

El Bibliotecario
Is that Savanna Army Depot the Army/Navy Ammunition Depot in Savanna, Oklahoma?

As best I recall, it was in Illinois. However, it was 44 years ago that I received the shipment, so I Wikipedia'd SAVANNA ARMY DEPOT, and sure enough, it was/is in Illinois.

Why do I get the desire to say, "Paint ACME explosives on it, with a address label to one Wille E. Coyote"? :w00t:

What he said!

:w00t:

So the first attempt didn't go well, too much paint on the brush and lots of bleeding. But a box has two sides...

I love it!!

What a great attitude ! :thumbsup: