Can you ID this ship?

Vincennes

This photo was in one of those Christmas cards where you insert a photo behind a window in the card. It is from Howard to his Dad. I do not have the envelope, so I do not have a date. The hull number is 4 but I cannot match it to any ship I can locate. Can anyone tell me what ship it is?

Thanks,

Paul

post-2319-1285889653.jpg

I believe that the Little Rock has an extensive association extending into the next of kin, it may be easy to find out more about the sender.

Thanks Ski. That is the ship.

I went to the USS Little Rock Association web page and they have the same picture posted there. They say: "Photo taken after 1962. Origin of photo is unknown." "Little Rock was decommissioned and stricken 22 November 1976. She arrived at Buffalo and Erie County Naval & Military Park on 15 July 1977, and is presently open for visitors!"

Paul

She was a WWII light cruiser armed with a 6" main battery and 5" 38 caliber secondary battery. She was converted to fire Talos missiles in place of the rear turrets and appears to have had the superstructure lengthened forward for more command and control facilities. Seems she served as flagship of the 6th fleet in the Mediterranean.

My high school chemistry teacher served on USS Oklahoma City, CLG 5 during Vietnam. It was interesting to listen to him sometime.