Dude, where's my medal?

Dirty175

They can have them...... Their quality is about third world anyways.

-Ski

Do you mean the quality of current U.S. made medals? I certainly agree with that.

Soooo....

Wonder if these end up on ebay? LOL

Makes me think of the scene from 'Bridge too far' where the Brit Para's recover the airdropped tin and it's full of BERET's! Imagine the bad guys sniggering with glee when the trucks were captured...only THEN to realize it was full of MEDALS (and cheap ones at that) instead of ammo/explosives etc.

Also tells you the priority of what's going into theatre, doesn't it?

Interesting... I wonder where this convoy was "hijacked"? I am thinking not Iraq or Afgahnistan... Those are mainly Humanitarian Service Medals on the table, not campaign medals. Ironic...

Interesting... I wonder where this convoy was "hijacked"? I am thinking not Iraq or Afgahnistan... Those are mainly Humanitarian Service Medals on the table, not campaign medals. Ironic...

I believe this is the one... from CBS.com...

Nov. 12, 2008

U.S. Supply Convoy Hijacked In Pakistan

Attack On Trucks Carrying Humvees For U.S.-Led Troops Shows Militant Control Of Key Route

CBS/AP) Suspected Taliban fighters hijacked trucks carrying Humvees and other supplies for U.S.-led troops in Afghanistan this week, authorities said, in a brazen attack near the Khyber Pass that underscored the militants' grip across key mountain strongholds.

The assault highlighted the vulnerability of a vital supply route for the 65,000 U.S. and NATO forces battling a resurgent Taliban in landlocked Afghanistan. A significant amount of supplies for the Western forces go through Pakistan.

Attacks on convoys carrying food, fuel and other supplies are common on the road. But Monday's raid was especially large and well-organized. It also could further strain U.S.-Pakistani relations over rooting out Taliban and al Qaeda militants along the border, which remain entrenched despite military offensives and U.S. missile strikes.

Some 60 masked militants blocked the route at several points before overpowering the convoy, said Fazal Mahmood, a government official in Khyber tribal region. He identified the attackers as members of Pakistan's Taliban movement.

Security forces traded fire with the gunmen, but were forced to retreat, he said. The militants took about 13 trucks along with the drivers, who were believed to be Pakistani.

A U.S. military spokesman in Afghanistan confirmed the thefts late Tuesday.

"There were some U.S. military materials that were taken - Humvees and water tank trailers," said Maj. John Redfield.

In the past, U.S. and NATO officials have played down their losses from hijackings and attacks along the Khyber Pass.

But earlier this year, NATO said it was trying to reduce its dependence on the route by negotiating with Russia and other nations to let it truck "non-lethal" supplies to Afghanistan through Central Asia.

Pakistani security forces, backed by helicopter gunships, hunted for the missing trucks and drivers. The military said late Tuesday it had recovered some of the stolen materials but would not specify what.

"We are using all resources to trace and recover the hijacked trucks, some of which were carrying vehicles for the allied forces in Afghanistan," Mahmood said.

NATO and U.S. officials have in the past suggested that ordinary criminals - not an orchestrated campaign by militants - are the main problem.

The Khyber Pass, a stretch of about 30 miles, has long been an important trade route and militarily strategic area traversed for centuries by armies, from Moghul warriors to British colonial forces. It abuts Peshawar, Pakistan's main northwestern Pakistan city.

In a bid to eliminate militancy in the border region, the U.S. has stepped up unilateral missile strikes there, a move condemned by Pakistani leaders who say it only deepens anti-American feelings among civilians.

Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari was headed to the United States Tuesday for a U.N. conference on interfaith relations. He was expected to broach the subject of the missile strikes with U.S. officials.

Pakistan's prime minister, Yousuf Raza Gilani, issued a statement after a meeting Tuesday with a U.S. congressional delegation saying there was a "need for restoration of trust between" the two nations and that there must be "complete respect for Pakistan's territorial integrity."

Pakistan has pursued its own military offensives against insurgents, including ones in the Swat Valley and the Bajur tribal region. The U.S. has praised the operations, but the militants have staged a wave of suicide attacks, apparently in retaliation.