THE AIRBORNE WALK

BEAST

When I was at Benning, they completed the Airborne Walk (https://www.benning.army.mil/historictrail/content/29_airborne_walk.htm) . A special ceremony was held and I was able to attend. Somewhere around here I have photos of many of the men that were in attendance, but I thought I would share one piece that I truly treasure. This is the program from the ceremony on which I had two very famous paratroopers sign their autographs.

The name below the wings is "W.T. Ryder" "W.T. Ryder" is General William T. Ryder who commanded the Army parachute test platoon. (Then) LT Ryder was the first U.S. paratrooper to jump. The other autograph above the word CEREMONY is "Red King" William N. (Red) King was the first enlisted paratrooper to make the jump following behind LT Ryder.

post-203-1285873964.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Erick et al,

Very cool that is awesome flier and well worth the history with the signatures. Any true airborne collector would realize the historical value of those two signatures. Nothing against the BoB guys, I meet Lipton and Winters at FTCKY while conducting an OPD/NCOPD (Professional Development for Os and NCOs) back in 1994, long before the movies as, well as other members over the last 4 or 5 years. They will be the first to say they were no different the the rest of the Paratroopers and members of the armed forces who meet our enemies on the battlieds, in the skies and on water during the 2nd World War. Hopefully some day soon the Groupy Mentality of the collector and reenactor community will get over them and (now I'm afraid) Pacific Marines and give credit to all veterans who went into harms way for our freedom and the freedom of the world release from the threat of totalitarian regimes of the era.

There is my rant on the subject

Regards

John

• 3 weeks later...