Even more Theatre Made patches by Hawkdriver

hawkdriver

Thanks Gil. The post offices over here are run by the military and are basically mini representations of the US, right down to the machines.

As for the patches, Gil is correct, definitely thinner. Also, I must appologize that I once said that most of these were marrow edged, but most now are cut edge and I think that maybe they were that way to begin with and my eyes are not what they used to be.

Now for the secret. Sigma9r had me get a patch made for him, so I took a picture of the patch in for them to make it off of. When the patches were picked up, the paper came back. What the guy told me was that they will take the picture and produce little pin holes and then blow chalk dust across the holes and produces the base material and then they go to town by hand. Here is a pictrue of the drawing and the aftermath. My friends, that is talent.

2hycm7p.jpg

Oh man, that is old school! Typical production method for Vietnam, Thailand, Pakistan and Korea. But these end up being fully embroidered...not sure exactly how they are doing that, but it would be interesting to watch.

You could not afford the hourly wage rate to have these made in the USA that way... I think over here they scan the design into a computer and that generates the embroidery. More efficient, but it really cuts down on the level of detail in some cases. I thing the computer generated repros we are seeing coming out of Vietnam are being made just that way, but with really poor results.

Also, I must appologize that I once said that most of these were marrow edged, but most now are cut edge and I think that maybe they were that way to begin with and my eyes are not what they used to be.

Steve - Actually they are technically merrow edged since upon close inspection the thread wraps over the edge of the patch. It's amazing that they can do that on a patch so thin. They are unlike the patches I've gotten from you previously when you were in Kuwait and elsewhere in Iraq. They were all cut edge.

Steve - Actually they are technically merrow edged since upon close inspection the thread wraps over the edge of the patch. It's amazing that they can do that on a patch so thin. They are unlike the patches I've gotten from you previously when you were in Kuwait and elsewhere in Iraq. They were all cut edge.

Well, even I learn something every day. Well, would like to stay and chat, but I think we are getting a mission.