US NAVY LANDING FORCE,CHINA,1926

bmbrzmn101

I just found and looked through this site and saw some interesting pix including the 1 below. Also there are some Marine pix . I hope someone finds these useful. They are centered around the U.S.S. Pennsylvania and Pittsburg.

Enjoy, Chris

ACR4_Shangahi.jpg

I just found and looked through this site and saw some interesting pix including the 1 below. Also there are some Marine pix . I hope someone finds these useful. They are centered around the U.S.S. Pennsylvania and Pittsburg.

Enjoy, Chris

ACR4_Shangahi.jpg

Sorry I forgot to add the web address.

http://freepages.military.rootsweb.ancestr...nnsylvania.html

They appear to be some of the original m1910 or P1912 style. They were laced on to the pack flap instead of using the more common strap. As to why they are smaller, no idea.

Chris

craig_pickrall
thanks! great pic, any indeas on why some of the meat can pouches are smaller?

This is out of my area of interest so chalk this up to a guess BUT I think the meat can pouch on the USMC pack is larger than the one used on the Army pack so it looks like the Navy is using a mixture of Army and Marine packs.

The original "lace on" meat can pouch was form fitted to the meat can. It was designed to be removable because of the experience with the older pattern haversacks becoming filthy from the blackened and greasy meat cans. The theory was that it could be washed or replaced rather easily. The Board of officers that designed the M1910 equipment had originally intended the knife, fork and spoon to be carried inside the meat can. When put to actual field use it was realized what a poor design the lace on pouch was and it was changed to the strap connection method of attachment. It was also enlarged to accommodate the knife, fork and spoon in their separate compartments to reduce the rattle of the utensils. I believe this change was made in the 1914 time frame.

craig_pickrall

They are sailors and are wearing their blue undress jumpers. There is atleast one CPO in the group weaing his blue button up coat and a white shirt.