1904 USMC Band Helmet

Alec

This is believed to be a photo that was part of the 1904 St Louis Exposition display the Marine Corps attended. Should be verified next week. This photo was found in circa 1904 documents. I assume this is the earliest known photo showing these types of details. Scan I will be getting this weekend will have better detail.

Note how wide Central America is in the EGA. I have not seen this style on a cap before. Does anyone have this variety in their collection?

post-7194-1285817831.jpg

post-7194-1285818864.jpg

This is believed to be a photo that was part of the 1904 St Louis Exposition display the Marine Corps attended. Should be verified next week. This photo was found in circa 1904 documents. I assume this is the earliest known photo showing these types of details. Scan I will be getting this weekend will have better detail.

Note how wide Central America is in the EGA. I have not seen this style on a cap before. Does anyone have this variety in their collection?

Alec,

Great photo. Nice to see the version of EGA used on at least this helmet. Brian has an original one (brass), on the shield, and I think M. O'shea has one as well. Sorry I missed your call, was wrapping up many issues at work tonight. Fred B. has sent me some pics of gold and silver examples. Fakes are prevalent and can be found on e-bay and one version is being sold by a guy who slowly lets them out with squared off prongs on the back. The side buttons also appear to be different on this helmet. Can you post closer shots of that part of the scan please?

Mike

teufelhunde.ret
... Fakes are prevalent and can be found on e-bay and one version is being sold by a guy who slowly lets them out with squared off prongs on the back.

Mike

An example of the one Mike mentions. These have been doled out on ebay forever.

test_025.jpg

test_024.jpg

Alec,

Great photo. Nice to see the version of EGA used on at least this helmet. Brian has an original one (brass), on the shield, and I think M. O'shea has one as well. Sorry I missed your call, was wrapping up many issues at work tonight. Fred B. has sent me some pics of gold and silver examples. Fakes are prevalent and can be found on e-bay and one version is being sold by a guy who slowly lets them out with squared off prongs on the back. The side buttons also appear to be different on this helmet. Can you post closer shots of that part of the scan please?

Mike

Will post when I get original scan as this quality does not provide any details you can really see.

My researcher just infomred me this Photograph is from Horstmann and is dated 1881. I assume one of the earliest and clearest known photos to date of a USMC EGA.

teufelhunde.ret
My researcher just infomred me this Photograph is from Horstmann and is dated 1881. I assume one of the earliest and clearest known photos to date of a USMC EGA.

Agree - the photo's do indeed collaborate Driscoll's comments & pic's as seen on pages 12, 13 and 14 of his manuscript.