just aquired cpo uniform-named

4STARCHRIS

post-387-1187132661.jpg

Just aquired this is cpo uniform. Appears custom tailored of very high quality. Had 24 years of service. However, I do not understand the color because I am color blind. Is in not suppose to be GOLD?

Any help is appreciated. What color is it?

4starchris

collectsmedals

The color is dark green and is called the aviation green uniform.

It is a working uniform authorized for Officers and Chief Petty Officers in Naval Aviation fields.

The uniform you have is for a Aviation Structural Mechanic Master Chief Petty Officer.

The color is dark green and is called the aviation green uniform.

It is a working uniform authorized for Officers and Chief Petty Officers in Naval Aviation fields.

The uniform you have is for a Aviation Structural Mechanic Master Chief Petty Officer.

Thanks for the information. I was expecting GOLD hash marks for good service. I guess this CPO had the proper colors. I normally collect general officer uniforms but could not pass this mint uni up.

4starchris

• 1 month later...
Thanks for the information. I was expecting GOLD hash marks for good service. I guess this CPO had the proper colors. I normally collect general officer uniforms but could not pass this mint uni up.

4starchris

The Master Chief may have been "gold"...read on:

The Aviation Greens required the use of rating badges, which were indifferent to the sailor's unbroken good conduct status. The Navy Regs specified the rating badges on Aviation Greens to have a forrestry green background with blue chevrons, crow, stars, rating symbols, and service stripes.

On service dress blues, the rating badge chevrons and service stripes would definitely be gold, provided the Master Chief went 12 years with unbroken good conduct. Otherwise, the chevrons and stripes would be scarlet. Regardless of unbroken good conduct status, the crow, stars and rating symbols would be silver.

Hope this helps...

Nice coat: the Navy Aviation Working Greens have an interesting look to them. From what I have read this uniform started in 1917, derived from the USMC green uniforms. My dad was an Aviation Structural Mechanic Chief Petty Officer but never wore the greens.