Identified 24th division Coat

MBS

I have an identified coat in my collection and I would like to learn more about it. The coat is tailored made and identified to Captain C. A. Hawkins. The date 11/24/56 is also printed on the label. From the oak leafs on the Air medal I’m sure the Captain was in the Army Air Force. However, I’m not sure about the 24th division patch. If this soldier were in the Army Air Force would it be proper to have this patch on the sleeve? I searched NARA and found a listing for a Charles A. Hawkins. I’m not sure if this is my guy or not. I also checked the Silver Star database and found a Charles Hawkins that won a Silver Star in Korea. However, there is no citation listed.

If anyone could supply some information on Captain Hawkins and or his coat, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Brent

post-1118-1187132339.jpg

post-1118-1187132490.jpg

post-1118-1187132395.jpg

It is entirely possible that Hawkins was a rated pilot and thus earned the flight related medals. Most likely he was a helicopter pilot flying in combat -- perhaps medevac or air support.

This is not the old Army Air Force or Air Corps however, and those terms should not be used after the 1947 separation of the services.

G

Brent,

A possible choice is found in the 1961 Army Officer's register.Charles A. Hawkins may be your man. My firewall is not allowing me to see the photos right now, but from your description, this one is plausible.

post-203-1187142520.jpg

He could have been a pilot (note the WO rank) and his wings are missing.

Since I think I saw an artillery MOS in that clipping (hard for my old eyes to read), he might have won his DSC and AM as an aerial artillery observer for his battalion. Army aerial observers normally did not rate or wear any wings but were still on aeronautical orders and, therefore, elligible for flight-related decorations such as the Air Medal and DFC.......just a thought.

This officer could have been an AAF Liaison Pilot in WWII but stayed in the Army when the seperate US Air Force was created in 1947. Many of these artillery spotter Liaison pilots did that and became the nucleus of post WWII Army aviation. This would explain the 24th Divison patch.

Just a thought.

Since I think I saw an artillery MOS in that clipping (hard for my old eyes to read), he might have won his DSC and AM as an aerial artillery observer for his battalion. Army aerial observers normally did not rate or wear any wings but were still on aeronautical orders and, therefore, elligible for flight-related decorations such as the Air Medal and DFC.......just a thought.

DSC? I see a DFC.

G

Thanks all for the input. I will be heading to the Military History Institute in Carlisle at the end of the month. Hopefully, I will be able to turn up some conclusive information. I will let you all know what I uncover.

Brent

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: I visited the Military History Institute in Carlisle last week. Although I still have some fact finding to do, I feel I’m making some headway with the information on the original owner of my coat.

I was able to uncover the General Order number for the Silver Star award. Now all I have to do is find a copy of the GO. I also found out that Capt. Hawkins was awarded the Silver Star while serving with the Second Infantry Division in Korea (1950-1951). It also appears that he may have won the Air decorations while serving as a Warrant Officer.

My next step is to send for his military records. So I will keep my fingers crossed and hope I receive some interesting information.

This is the information from the U.S. Army register:

(Given the facts I have, I do believe this to be the individual associated with my coat)

Hawkins Charles Allen RW907566 B-Minn 4 July 13, A-Pa SS BSM PH(OLC) Enl 16 Oct 33 to 15 Oct 36, 23 June 41 to 1 Oct 42, 2lt A US 2 Oct 42, Capt A US 1 Nov 44, to Maj Inf USAR 1 Oct 53, CWO W-2 A US 30 Nov 51, RA WO W-1 1 Nov 54, D/R 1 Oct 49 to CWO W-2 1 Nov 54 PL 2527

NOTE: A US = Army of the United States

To be continued…………………………

Brent

• 2 weeks later...
Where can one find the Silver Star database?

Al Gleim published a set of 3 of WWII Silver Star GO reference books in the 1990's . He has passed away and the books are not being published now. Sometimes they show up on Ebay . There is no on-line database .

Kurt

UPDATE: I visited the Military History Institute in Carlisle last week. Although I still have some fact finding to do, I feel I’m making some headway with the information on the original owner of my coat.

I was able to uncover the General Order number for the Silver Star award. Now all I have to do is find a copy of the GO. I also found out that Capt. Hawkins was awarded the Silver Star while serving with the Second Infantry Division in Korea (1950-1951). It also appears that he may have won the Air decorations while serving as a Warrant Officer.

My next step is to send for his military records. So I will keep my fingers crossed and hope I receive some interesting information.

This is the information from the U.S. Army register:

(Given the facts I have, I do believe this to be the individual associated with my coat)

Hawkins Charles Allen RW907566 B-Minn 4 July 13, A-Pa SS BSM PH(OLC) Enl 16 Oct 33 to 15 Oct 36, 23 June 41 to 1 Oct 42, 2lt A US 2 Oct 42, Capt A US 1 Nov 44, to Maj Inf USAR 1 Oct 53, CWO W-2 A US 30 Nov 51, RA WO W-1 1 Nov 54, D/R 1 Oct 49 to CWO W-2 1 Nov 54 PL 2527

NOTE: A US = Army of the United States

To be continued…………………………

Brent

Did anyone else notice that he held BOTH AUS and USAR commussions while at the same time he was an RA WO? Interesting!

G

Al Gleim published a set of 3 of WWII Silver Star GO reference books in the 1990's . He has passed away and the books are not being published now. Sometimes they show up on Ebay . There is no on-line database .

Kurt

Kurt,

Are you aware of this web site (Home of Heros)?

http://www.homeofheroes.com/valor2/SS/1_WWI/01_main.html

If you scroll down to the bottom of the page you can access the Links to Silver Star Indexes and Citations.

The contents of the page are:

Silver Star Home Page

World War I

World War II

Korean War

Vietnam War

USS Liberty (1967)

USS Pueblo (1968)

SS Mayaguez (1975)

Grenada (1983)

Panama (1989)

Persian Gulf (1991)

Somalia (1993)

Haiti (1998)

Kosovo (1999)

War on Terrorism

How to obtain a missing citation or ADD a recipient or information.

You can also look at the: Distinguished Service Medal DATABASE

If you don’t have access to Al Gleims books this is better than nothing. The indexes are still a work in progress so they are not complete.

Brent

During the Korean War the all the Divisions had Aviation Sections. Two, the 7th and 40th had Aviation Companies (Provisional) . The difference being size of the units. A section was made up of about 12 or 13 planes sometimes a few helicopters. A company was about 22 -25 planes. The Duties were general aerial observation, artillery spotting and liasion duties which would include officer and VIP transport etc. You might have seen the photos of Marylin Monroe in Korea with the 3rd Div? The pilots were generally WO's with a few LT's and a Capt. in command. I do not believe the observers were ever WO's. The photos I've seen all had enlisted personel as the observers. I would bet your guy was a pilot. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Bill

Brent,

A possible choice is found in the 1961 Army Officer's register.Charles A. Hawkins may be your man. My firewall is not allowing me to see the photos right now, but from your description, this one is plausible.

post-203-1187142520.jpg

I think the fact he was artillery may answer the question about the aviation-related decorations. My bet is that he was an aerial artillery observer, flying in the back of an AT-6 Mosquito with an Air Force pilot in the front. Aerial artillery observers, both officer and enlisted, were used quite extensively in Korea.

I think the fact he was artillery may answer the question about the aviation-related decorations. My bet is that he was an aerial artillery observer, flying in the back of an AT-6 Mosquito with an Air Force pilot in the front. Aerial artillery observers, both officer and enlisted, were used quite extensively in Korea.

Yes, but the AT-6 was only operated by 6147th Tactical Control Group An Air Force unit. The personnel were all Air Force. They were responsible for the control and coordination of artillery fire with close air support. In any unit they were attached to they had men assigned to the Headquarters Battery. The Mosquitos consisted of:

6147 Air Base Squadron

6147 Maintenance & Supply Squadron

6147 Medical Squadron

6148 Tactical Control Squadron (Air)

6149 Tactical Control Squadron (Air)

6150 Tactical Control Squadron (Ground, TACP)

942 Forward Air Control Squadron

The Army on the other hand used L-19 bird dogs, L-17 NAvion, L-20 Beaver and others All those pilots were Army Aviators. In a division, an artillery battery generally had 2 aircraft assigned to it. In the yearbook of the 555th FA Bn there is a photo of the Air Section. The observers in this unit were all enlisted men (Sergeants).

The Medals could all be awarded to this soldier as a member of the Army. The Regulation states "The Distinguished Flying Cross is awarded to any person who, while serving in any capacity with the Armed Forces of the United States, distinguishes himself or herself by heroism or extraordinary achievement while participating in aerial flight. The performance of the act of heroism must be evidenced by voluntary action above and beyond the call of duty. The extraordinary achievement must have resulted in an accomplishment so exceptional and outstanding as to clearly set the individual apart from his/her comrades or from other persons in similar circumstances. Awards will be made only to recognize single acts of heroism or extraordinary achievement and will not be made in recognition of sustained operational activities against an armed enemy." It is not necessay to be in the Air Force to be awarde the 2 Air Decorations.

• 1 month later...

I'm bumping this post to the top. I received Captain Hawkins military record from the National Archives and over the next few days I will compile his information and post for all to see. This officer had quit a career, and an interesting one at that.

Brent

According to the information NPRC sent Captain Hawkins received the following awards:

CBI

DFC (GO 182 HQ 5th AF)

Air Medal (6 OLC) (Go 27 HQ 5th AF)

Silver Star (GO 255 HQ 2nd Inf. Div 3 July 51)

Purple Heart (OLC) (GO HQ 34th Inf. 26 Aug 50) (OLC-GO 29 HQ 38th Inf. 29 Sep 51)

Bronze Star (GO 367 HQ 24th Inf. 15 May 51)

Unfortunately the NPRC didn’t include any citations for the awards.

Captain Hawkins military career was extensive. The highlights are below.

October 16, 1933 - National Guard service.

June 23, 1941 – Enlisted in the regular army Corporal of Infantry.

October 30, 1942 – Commanding Officer Co. A. 58th Bn BIRTC Camp Robinson, Ark.

October 14, 1943 – July 29, 1945 Commanding Officer of various Replacement Companies.

January 23, 1946 – Back to the National Guard.

September 3, 1948 – Replacement Company Commander 101st Airborne Division Camp Breckinridge, KY.

March 9, 1949 – Unit officer, as above.

April 1, 1949 – Assistant Personnel Officer, as above.

June 1949 – Assigned to FECOM.

September 26, 1950 – Company Commander Co. F 38th INF. FEC.

October 26, 1950 Assistant Battalion S-3, HQ co. 2nd Bn 38th Inf. FEC.

November 9, 1950 Ground Observer, TDY 6147 TacAirSg, HQ co. 2nd Bn 38th Inf. FEC.

October 10, 1951 - Company Officer HQ 5th Inf. Division Indiantown Gap.

1952-1957 – Served in various posts as Officer and CWO.

The two most interesting post were:

January 10, 1953 as inspection and testing officer, Ft. Meade.

December 9, 1956 as personnel officer TDY Camp Kilmer, NJ. Operation Mercy. (I will have to research this)

Honorable Discharge September 11, 1961

I’m very glad that I was able to get the above information. Of course it would have been nice to receive more information, but I’m not complaining. At least I have the GO’s for the awards. I will have to plan a trip to College Park Md. to see if I can research them further. I am trying to piece together his service in Korea. Those guys sure went through a lot.

Brent