Cold War CD Stores

pmanton

post-8488-1285623684.jpgWe recently visited the Grand Canyon Caverns in northwestern AZ. The caverns had been designated as Cold War CD Shelters. I can imagine how much fun it would have been sleeping on the rocky floor with no power but flashlights .

Large stores of supplies still exist underground.post-8488-1285623622.jpg

Ha, I remember going there in 2002. It was the summer before my senior year in high school. I offered the guide $20 for a k-ration. He wouldn't do it :)

mmmm.... yummy! One wonders what the shelf life on those morsels would be?

And who exactly was going to evacuate to these caves? Escapees from the closest city? Sounds like the plot of a bad science fiction movie.

Very cool indeed :w00t:

I have seen several photos of shelter supplies in western caves, but usually are rusted out and heavily water damaged. I am surprised at the overall condition of these.

I went to college in the 1970's at Indiana State University in Terre Haute. All the older dorms were connected with a tunnel system that were designated as fallout shelters. The tunnels were still packed full of these containers.

Thanks for posting ....

Tim

El Bibliotecario

In my youth there was a similar heap of CD stores in the basement of the place where I worked part time, an area to which I had ready and private access. It is one of my everlasting regrets that I did not pillage them to equip my camping trips.

I used ot have one of those dark green water cans to use as a wastebasket. COme to think of it, I have no idea where that went.