USS MISSISSIPPI 1908 Real Photo P/C

siege1863

There is just about no photo or postcard showing the USS MISSISSIPPI (BB-23) that I will not try to acquire. This one, from ebay, was no exception. It was an early image that was missing from my collection. However, it was not until I had purchased it and done a little research that I fully identified the sailor who posted the postcard.

Dated 7 July 1908, the postcard was sent to a six-year-old boy in Pennsylvania. I have yet to make a connection between the sailor and boy, but both were from the same small town and lived not far apart. Could be a cousin or nephew. The photo is of the "MISSY" during final fitting at the Cramp Shipyard in Philadelphia. The sister ship IDAHO is seen in the background.

The postcard was sent by Midshipman Abel Trood Bidwell (signed as T. Bidwell). On the front of the postcard he indicates he is stationed in the forward 12" turret. Further research on Bidwell revealed he was a USNA graduate, having entered in June 1904. It appears the MISSISSIPPI was his first assignment. In 1912, Bidwell made ensign and, in 1917, became a lieutenant commander. Bidwell made rank of captain in 1935 and commander in 1938. He commanded the USS BUSHNELL and USS CHICAGO.

In 1940, Bidwell was named Director, Officer Personnel Division, Bureau of Navigation. The rank of read admiral was attained in October 1941, when he took command of Cruiser Division Three. Then, on 8 December 1941, Bidwell was appointed commander of Southeast Pacific Area! He remained in command until 6 January 1942, when he was replaced. He was thought to be a little too inexperienced.

It is interesting to read on Ancestry.com Bidwell's midshipman record while at the USNA. Looking at all his demerits, one would find it hard to imagine he would go on to such a prominent naval career!

post-211-1285619149.jpg

post-211-1285619183.jpg