3rd Armor Ike with PUC ?

oddmod

I just picked this up recently.

Ike jackets aren't really my thing... but then you start trying to piece together all of the various components of the jackets and it does start to get a little interesting.

SO, my question is.... Were members of the 3rd AD authorized to wear the PUC ?

I've researched around a bit, but can't find any reference to the 3rd or any of it's unit being awarded a Presidential Unit Citation.

This is a link to the F&A board where some additional pics of the jacket are posted (including the name and #).

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=88386

Thanks,

JC

post-5673-1285615387.jpg

The 33rd Armored Regiment was authorized a PUC - Streamer embroidered HASTENRATH-SCHERPENSEEL

Several elements of the 36th Armored Infantry Regiment was awarded the PUC for the Roer and Siegfried Line.

The 33rd Armored Regiment was authorized a PUC - Streamer embroidered HASTENRATH-SCHERPENSEEL

Several elements of the 36th Armored Infantry Regiment was awarded the PUC for the Roer and Siegfried Line.

Now we are getting somewhere.... many thanks.

Maybe I can figure out a little something about Mr. Byrkett....

JC

Go to www.3ad.com. Click on WWII, then WWII Index, then Div. Units & War Data, then Basic Fact Sheet of the 3AD in WWII. Scroll down and you will find a section listing Distinguished Unit Citations (which is what they first called the PUC), and which units received them. After a quick look it seems that at least one company in each armored regiment and the armored infantry regiment were awarded the DUC/PUC.

I know I wore a PUC as a member of the 3rd Battalion, 36th Infantry (Mechanized), 3rd Armored Division in the mid 1970s.

I suppose it's possible that units were also awarded PUCs for Desert Storm, but I didn't look.

Steve

Go to www.3ad.com. Click on WWII, then WWII Index, then Div. Units & War Data, then Basic Fact Sheet of the 3AD in WWII. Scroll down and you will find a section listing Distinguished Unit Citations (which is what they first called the PUC), and which units received them. After a quick look it seems that at least one company in each armored regiment and the armored infantry regiment were awarded the DUC/PUC.

I know I wore a PUC as a member of the 3rd Battalion, 36th Infantry (Mechanized), 3rd Armored Division in the mid 1970s.

I suppose it's possible that units were also awarded PUCs for Desert Storm, but I didn't look.

Steve

Steve,

Thanks. I dug around the 3ad site a bit, but apparently not deep enough.

I'll keep looking.

JC

• 4 weeks later...
Steve,

Thanks. I dug around the 3ad site a bit, but apparently not deep enough.

I'll keep looking.

JC

The 1st Battalion, 36th Infantry was awarded the Presidential Unit Citation 3 times, twice during WWII and an additional award for Operation Iraqi Freedom in 2004

http://www.history.army.mil/html/forcestru...0036in001bn.htm

I'm currently the Operations NCOIC for 1-36th INF, which is now part of the 1st Brigade, 1st Armored Division at Fort Bliss

VERY interested in any items related to the 36th INF REGT in WWII

"DEEDS NOT WORDS"

MSG Chris Lewis

The 1st Battalion, 36th Infantry was awarded the Presidential Unit Citation 3 times, twice during WWII and an additional award for Operation Iraqi Freedom in 2004

http://www.history.army.mil/html/forcestru...0036in001bn.htm

I'm currently the Operations NCOIC for 1-36th INF, which is now part of the 1st Brigade, 1st Armored Division at Fort Bliss

VERY interested in any items related to the 36th INF REGT in WWII

"DEEDS NOT WORDS"

MSG Chris Lewis

Rather OT, but are you at Polk on rotation? I see quite a few 1AD folks up here in North Fort.

dogfacedsoldier

I have a 36th Armored Infantry group with a PUC. It also has a small booklet about the 36th AIB. I would have to dig it out again to recheck the booklet.

Jon

• 2 weeks later...
Rather OT, but are you at Polk on rotation? I see quite a few 1AD folks up here in North Fort.

Nope just got back from Mosul

Any chance you'd want to part ways w/ that 36th Uniform? Lemme know - trying to put an original uniform on display in our BN HQ here at Fort Bliss!

I have a 36th Armored Infantry group with a PUC. It also has a small booklet about the 36th AIB. I would have to dig it out again to recheck the booklet.

Jon

Any chance you'd want to part ways w/ that 36th Uniform? Lemme know - trying to put an original uniform on display in our BN HQ here at Fort Bliss!

Welcome back Lewis..

Sorry, but I don't have either Ike jacket any longer, sorry,,,

Thanks everyone for IDing this jacket: 3rd Brigade, 36th Inf (mech), 3rd AD... correct ?

JC

• 1 month later...
Welcome back Lewis..

Sorry, but I don't have either Ike jacket any longer, sorry,,,

Thanks everyone for IDing this jacket: 3rd Brigade, 36th Inf (mech), 3rd AD... correct ?

JC

Roger!