Need a patch ID

carbinekid

Hi all,

I recently picked up a nice 1942 dated USMC winter service coat. When I got it home and checked the pockets I found some corporal chevrons and a patch I'm not familiar with. It's pictured below. What do you guys think?

EDIT: Photos are lost

Thanks,

Kyle

I think it's a Marine Corps marine gunner distinguishing mark or striker, worn on the lower sleeve on the dress green uniform. The shape represents a bursting bomb. You may want to repost it in the rates and ranks section for more info.

craig_pickrall

This is what the USMC Gunner rate looks like. What you have may be an example of one on cloth. The ones I have seen have been more of a scarlet red but that could be a camera or monitor trick.

post-5-1285687838.jpg

The mark itself was obsolete by WW 2. There may have been a dozen men still authorized to wear it. But, it was still on the books. There fore, it was produced. Since all of the Navy Striker and Distinguishing marks were produced in Marine colors, they were in circulation.

Steve Hesson

In John Stacey's book U.S. Navy Marks on Marine Uniforms, published by the author, he shows this mark in Plate IV along with other marks that he calls "marks with no clearly attributable use" on USMC uniforms.

John has found regulations, directives and photos of many USN design "marks" used on USMC uniforms and lists those in his book.

As Steve states above, and as was common practice by USN/USCG uniform insignia producers, they often produced insignia on rumors and hunches that insignia were going to be authorized and needed.

John's books are published by the author, John A. Stacey, 2880 Smith Point Rd., Nanjemoy, MD 20662. His prices change for ASMIC members, show specials, mailing costs, etc., so I won't attempt to quote any prices for him. He's a great guy, contact him.

-dan