12th AAF Night Fighter units references

caseloadr

Does any one know of good resource for photos of 12th AAF night fighter units or history, looking for photos of aircraft to see markings . My grandfather was either 415th or 416th in manitence . I have a few photos from books, just wandering if there are any experts on the forum that could help me out .

Cobrahistorian

Caseloadr,

There hasn't been a lot written on the MTO Nightfighter squadrons. If you haven't seen it, I recommend "Queen of the Midnight Skies" by Ronal C. Harrison and Gary Pape. It details the USAAF night fighter program from the P-70 through lend-lease Mosquitos and Beaufighters to the P-61 as the ultimate WWII nightfighter. Definitely worth picking up!

Jon

Does any one know of good resource for photos of 12th AAF night fighter units or history, looking for photos of aircraft to see markings . My grandfather was either 415th or 416th in manitence . I have a few photos from books, just wandering if there are any experts on the forum that could help me out .

Try posting your inquiry over on this site, ArmyAirForces.com they have a good variety of Night Fighter info I believe , good luck !

If you have a photo of him wearing an emblem this would help , The 415th NFS has Donald Duck in his night shirt/cap holding up a candle holder and carrying a shotgun, he's walking on a cloud in a night sky w/moon/stars. The 416th Is the grim reaper in cape pointing with finger, w/an owl holding a 50 cal tommy gun on a night sky moon/star background. You've probably already seen these if you have the Queen of the Midnight Sky " book .

Johnny