Desert Storm 1991-2011 Exhibition

flashesandovals

flashesandovals

Hi,

For those of you who are interested in this topic, please visit my website on http://www.desertstorm1991.com/

The exhibition is now open to all visitors - just contact me for appointments/opening hours.

All comments and suggestions are more than welcome.

Kind regards & enjoy,

Flashesandovals

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Thank you for the great displays! I can't believe it's been 20 yrs this month since she kicked off. I don't miss that mopp suit! YOU DONE GOOD!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I concur, even e-mailed you on this (I'm the guy who was Joe Nilo's last XO before he retired, poor devil).

I almost signed up for the USAF reserves (a AC-130 unit was near where I lived) for this war but changed my mind. I wonder how my life would have gone had I signed up after all.

I'm building up a living history 'impression' and have bought some books, and your site has been very helpful as well, and I plan on attending parades with ome pals who are also gearing up for the anniversary.

I too can't believe it's been 20 years. My nephew was born right when the shooting war was getting ready and he's in college (at the same school and ROTC just like his Dad and Uncle) now, so I guess it's not that tough to believe how long it's been.

Great looking website! If you would like to see a bit of Desert Storm humor, take a look at this thread: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...=64335&st=0. I was an IRR replacement assigned to a National Guard roundout brigade which, like all of the roundout brigades, the active duty Army decided to leave behind in the states. The guys in the Guard were pretty bitter and one of the NCOs had some t-shirts made up to reflect their thoughts. It was done in a rock concert tour style t-shirt and I think it is on the first page of that thread.

Johan Willaert

Today, together with some fellow collectors I visited the expo where we were welcomed by Pascal (aka 'Joe'), owner of the collection and organiser of the event... Pascal and I go back a long way as we were Army buddies in the Infantry School in 1985 and since my collection interest stops where his starts (1945) we never had an argument about the items we picked up for our collections....

Anyway, this is one impressive exhibition, not only because of the amount of uniforms/insignia and gear on display, but also because of the passion that you can feel behind this endeavor....

Here Pascal explains about the continuous ABC training during the Desert Shield part of the Operation...

post-92-1294513214.jpg

Johan Willaert

I found this display showing the evolution and variations of uniforms, helmet covers and boots used in that six month period spanning the conflict very interesting....

For all of you that could possibly go and visit this, you will be blown away by the quality of the expo...!!

post-92-1294513452.jpg

Wow is that msgt_norway's basement? :D Great looking display! :thumbsup: My interest in Desert Storm has been increasing by the day

My interest in Desert Storm has been increasing by the day

Me too. I must admit, looking at this display is one of a few things that motivated me to get a basic impression together for parades and displays this year for the 20th anniversary...

Johan Willaert
Me too. I must admit, looking at this display is one of a few things that motivated me to get a basic impression together for parades and displays this year for the 20th anniversary...

Hi Lee,

I talked to Pascal about your connection with Joe Nilo and interestingly he has Joe Nilo's uniform on display......

For all of you that could possibly go and visit this, you will be blown away by the quality of the expo...!!

I can only copy that! The amount of items displayed is awesome. The exposition gives you a complete view of the conflict, from Desert Shield to Desert Storm and the aftermath... .

Thanks for the guided tour, Pascal!

I had a great afternoon! :thumbsup:

rgds

Bart P

flashesandovals

Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate your comments!

Having a guided tour for you collectors is not only "challenging", but also and mainly an enrichment.

An average tour takes about one hour. This one took about three and it could have lasted forever. It is fun to discuss the evolution of equipment that in some cases found it's origin decades ago. There was this example of the Demolition Charge Bags we discussed. They look identical to the WWII ones but are marked 1988. That also goes to show that "if it ain't broken, don't try to fix it".

I am working on a few articles about uniforms and equipment used during the conflict and I will post them on the web ASAP.

In the mean time I will try to answer your requests to the best of my knowledge.

Unfortunately, I am travelling quite a lot for professional reasons which means that you may have to be patient with my replies.

Kind regards,

Pascal

Pascal,

It never occured to me to want to go to Europe to see a display devoted to anything other than WW1 or WW2, but you really make me want to get back to Europe!

I talked to Pascal about your connection with Joe Nilo and interestingly he has Joe Nilo's uniform on display......
Small world, isn't it? I run into Joe at shows about 1-2 times a year, he still lives the area of Ft Lewis, as do I. We talked military history all the time when we were both still in B/296 FSB together, but we never talked about his past. I'd had no idea he was in DS (but many of my NCOs were there so it was't that big a stretch) or in Somalia. We aways talked about other people's history, not his! :thumbsup:

flashesandovals
Pascal,

It never occured to me to want to go to Europe to see a display devoted to anything other than WW1 or WW2, but you really make me want to get back to Europe!Small world, isn't it? I run into Joe at shows about 1-2 times a year, he still lives the area of Ft Lewis, as do I. We talked military history all the time when we were both still in B/296 FSB together, but we never talked about his past. I'd had no idea he was in DS (but many of my NCOs were there so it was't that big a stretch) or in Somalia. We aways talked about other people's history, not his! :thumbsup:

Joe is coming over to see it. He will be here from 23 FEB - 1 MAR 2011.

Hope he'll enjoy the trip...

Cheers,

Pascal

• 2 months later...
Johan Willaert

Just bumping this back to the top for those that hav missed this topic....

Also it seems that a place for a permanent display has been offered to the owner.... I'll leave it up to him to tell more....

Johan

• 2 weeks later...

Just read about that. I’ve very happy to hear this! I think there’s a strong draw to Europe for this conflict as so many units rotated out of EUCOM to the Gulf in 1990 as well as many people passed through there on the way to the theater. :thumbsup:

I saw Joe Nilo’s visit was well documented. I need to ask him about his book the next time I run into him! Haven’t run across him at any shows for a while now. I hope he shows up at Ft Lewis for Armed Forces Day when we’ll be doing our first DS display.