Not only a model box

Proud Kraut

Lars, Ian---how about these two shots: a tribute to the M-113 series vehicles (including a few M-114s) and another tribute to the M-60 chassis vehicles. I'm sure some of the other members here have pictures of these babies from their own pasts.

Al

Heres another for the "Is it Roco or is it real?" category: taken some time in July 1978, my squad (thats me on top the track in the middle) showcasing their absolute disregard for uniform and haircut regulations---hey it was 1978 and 2nd squad, 1st Rifle Platoon of Co C actually looked pretty good.

Lets see some other M113 pictures and see if we can tell "Is it Roco or is it real?"

post-2235-1286317244.jpg

Heres another for the "Is it Roco or is it real?" category: taken some time in July 1978, my squad (thats me on top the track in the middle) showcasing their absolute disregard for uniform and haircut regulations---hey it was 1978 and 2nd squad, 1st Rifle Platoon of Co C actually looked pretty good.

Lets see some other M113 pictures and see if we can tell "Is it Roco or is it real?"

Great picture, thanks for sharing! The M 113 is one of my all time favorites. Since I got my driver's licence on this tank in the mid 1980's I collected all kind of M 113 models. Some 1:35 VN theater ones are still waiting for their assembling.

P.S.: That's a neat looking squad. Any meaning on the red scarfs?

P.P.S.: I'm working on the ROCO thread, hang on!

Holy feelings of nostalgia here!! Thanks for taking me back in time with the little fellows and the wars we would have with them as children "back in the day" :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

And CW4AFB, you also brought some memories with the Gamma Goat. I remember my section riding across Germany in one, during a REFORGER, freezing our 5th points of contact off. :lol: :lol:

Great picture, thanks for sharing! The M 113 is one of my all time favorites. Since I got my driver's licence on this tank in the mid 1980's I collected all kind of M 113 models. Some 1:35 VN theater ones are still waiting for their assembling.

P.S.: That's a neat looking squad. Any meaning on the red scarfs?

P.P.S.: I'm working on the ROCO thread, hang on!

Hooviedude and Lars---glad you liked the pictures---As you said, the M113 was great and the Gamma goat ....well, ask Hooviedude...or anybody else that ever had to pull PMCS on one of those fine vehicles---here's another Roco moment, Hoovie mentioned REFORGER so here's a tribute to our German Allies and their armor---and if anybody questions why foreign armor is on this site, its because a platoon of these Leopards ran through our lines at night up near Flensburg in the winter of 1976 and scared the you know what out of a company of US marines who thought their fighting positions were deep enough.....

Al

PS Lars---the red scarf was just a sign of individualism ---most of us had gotten OD slings from the medics and used them but Bill always liked to stand out---luckily, the way the guys are standing, you can't read what they wrote on the side of our track with their camo sticks---it was the 70s!

post-2235-1286404677.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Dear lord Roco is not a name i have seen for many years.

Just dug this out of the cupboard that im sure some of you will remember. Its not seen the light of day for the best part of twelve years as you can tell. This was one of my first kits I built as a ten year old, and no I wouldn’t let dad help hehe I was pleased with the wire fence I put on it. Somewhere are three old unopened B17 kits from Airfix. Hmmmmm Proud Kraut what have you started.

Joscan22060.jpg

Joscan22062.jpg

Joscan22063.jpg

Sure is Airfix,

I think I still have the original box as well, in fact I think the Austin ambulance and the fire tender is still in it.

Airfix did a series of airfield buildings at one point, I think I can remember a hanger and piece of a taxi way with a mustang.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
DavesWorld56

I never had any of the Airfix sets. My Brother had a bunch of them, but by then I had begun collecting Matchbox cars. I have been doing my best to buy back my childhood the last 2 or 3 years. Here's a few of the things I've found:

post-41175-1304638612.jpg

post-41175-1304638916.jpg

You guys are killing me---as an american kid growing up in Germany in the 60s my weakness was Airfix models and French made Starlux toy soldiers---and unfortunately (or fortunately) I've managed to still have most of them....Sadly enough, I could never get my kids even remotely interested in model building or playing toy soldiers-- it just wasn't interactive enough for them---I guess they never appreciated the thrill of finally getting the decals just right on that Focke-Wolf...or the high from the glue and the paint fumes...regards and thanks for the memories.

Al

I think they've changed the glue

I tried them as a kid...but my hands have always had a slight shake, and the gluing and painting just never was going to look anything like the box. always felt like I ruined them