US 48 Star Flag with Upside Down Stars????

S McKibben

Hi guys,I have had this flag for several yrs.A few weeks back I hung it up in my War Room.Well the other day a friend of mine asked why the stars were upside down.Well damn I have never noticed it before.Can anyone tell me why the stars are that way or is it just a factory screw up???Thanks for any insight you can give me.

Shaun

post-5730-1285349900.jpg

post-5730-1285350016.jpg

There has never been a need for stars to be upside down on a flag. In times of distress, the flag is flown upside down, but that's about it.

I'd venture to say it was a factory error. The canton was just positioned upside down when the flag was stitched together.

If the flag is made to be hung as a banner, the stars are sewn so they're oriented correctly in that position. From the photo, it doesn't appear that this would apply to your flag. Hold it up and take a look.

Within the past couple of weeks, there was a 48 star flag on Ebay with the same upside down stars. It would really be a quality control screw-up to let something like this leave the factory. One possibility is that the flags were made overseas where they don't know the difference.

Your flag looks like it's made from a synthetic material, is it nylon?

Tom

Heres mine. Didn't unfold it completely as its a biggie. My guess was maybe war time production errors that were pressed into service upside down stars and all.

Rob

post-4976-1285522698.jpg

Its just weird that these are so common.I could see a mistake but you would think they would not make it out of the factory.

I have hung it different ways and it still just dont look right.It is like a silky type material.I dont think its nylon.

Its just weird that these are so common.I could see a mistake but you would think they would not make it out of the factory.

I have hung it different ways and it still just dont look right.It is like a silky type material.I dont think its nylon.

Mine is also a silky material, really light and slippery and it is old. Its about 9.5x5.

• 8 months later...
Christopher
Hi guys,I have had this flag for several yrs.A few weeks back I hung it up in my War Room.Well the other day a friend of mine asked why the stars were upside down.Well damn I have never noticed it before.Can anyone tell me why the stars are that way or is it just a factory screw up???Thanks for any insight you can give me.

Shaun

The stars are not upside down and this is by any means an error. These flags as already stated were designed to be hung in a manner in which the stars correctly lined up with the top grommet. When hung the stars are correctly upright. This is proper and correct nothing wrong with this flag.

flyer333555
The stars are not upside down and this is by any means an error. These flags as already stated were designed to be hung in a manner in which the stars correctly lined up with the top grommet. When hung the stars are correctly upright. This is proper and correct nothing wrong with this flag.

:think:

Not really, if the flag is hung with the canton at the top and the stripes horizontal, then the stars would still be askew. One point to a side, two opposing points to the other side but no point up.

Try it yourself-twist your head into a position that makes it look as if the flag is hanging as you describe.

:rolleyes:

I say it is an error.

:thumbdown:

Luis R.

What if the flag were supposed to be on a short flag pole in an office, or for example at an indoor press conference? The blue field would be roughly at a 45* angle, making the stars straight in that position. The flag would 'drape' naturally in a position in which the stars would be skewed on a 'standard' flag.

• 2 weeks later...