Thoughts on these wings please

Tino

Hi guys,

After countless hours of reading up and studying wings I would still like some thoughts and opinions from the more experienced wing collectors about some wings.

I would like to weed out the bad ones and get an approximate age on the original wings.

Here are the first three...

post-176-1285346166.jpg

Hello,

Wings 1-3 and 6 are all likely mid to late war graduation (or issue) wings but would have likely been available and worn well into the 50's. Not a great deal of value in those since they are common, ranging bewteen about 20 - 40$.

Wing 4, if it were good, would be the most expensive wing in the lot, at about 100-150$ (maybe more). It is hard for me to tell, but it looks like a cast reproduction of an AMCRAFT liaison wing. Better pictures would help.

Wing 5 is not so much a reproduction, but rather a novelty pin that are made currently. They seem to be sold in surplus stores, online, airshows, reunions, etc. We even have a vendor at the Veterans Admin facility that sells these type of things along with hats and tshirts. Not vintage to WWII, the are very common and not worth a great deal.

Just adding more. Wing 7 looks good, but again, better pictures would help. 8 is also good, but a post KW wing, based on the alpha-numeric code on the back. 9 is a WWII wing, I believe.

As I said, the better pictures of wing 4 and 7 would help determine if the are reproductions or not. The main clue is that 100% of American-made WWII vintage wings will be die struck. Almost by definition, any cast wing is a fake.

Hope that helps, and welcome.

Patrick

Tino, your Meyer's hallmarked Senior Service Pilot (#11) may deserve a closer look before dismissing it as a restrike. If the hallmark is raised, with crisp detail...and the pin opens 75 degrees or less, you just might have a very hard-to-find wing in your collection. The looks of the pin and the way it was attached to the wing is all consistent with a WWII era produced badge. I don't see a "STERLING" mark. Does it have one? If it doesn't, in my humble opinion, that adds support to your wing possibly being authentic.

Russ

Tino, your Meyer's hallmarked Senior Service Pilot (#11) may deserve a closer look before dismissing it as a restrike. If the hallmark is raised, with crisp detail...and the pin opens 75 degrees or less, you just might have a very hard-to-find wing in your collection. The looks of the pin and the way it was attached to the wing is all consistent with a WWII era produced badge. I don't see a "STERLING" mark. Does it have one? If it doesn't, in my humble opinion, that adds support to your wing possibly being authentic.

Russ

I would concur with Russ' assessment of #11. A better look would be nice, BUT, at first blush it does seem to be a restrick IMHO.

Well I for one hope my initial assessment is wrong and that TINO has a hard to find gem. I think the clean attachment of the fittings is of most concern... thoughts?

John

militarymodels
If the hallmark is raised, with crisp detail...and the pin opens 75 degrees or less, you just might have a very hard-to-find wing in your collection.

For the Meyer wings, the indication of raised hm, crisp detail, pin open 75 degree or less does not mean they are WW2 period. These wings were reproduced from orginal dice in the 60's or so. in fact, most of the N.S Meyers restriked wings have this characteristics.

I agree with others on other wings. The Josetns are beautifyl!

Lonny

John, Patrick and Russ, thanks for the feedback!

I hope the pictures of the Liaison and Service pilot wing are good enough to determine if they are reproduction or not.

Here they are....

post-176-1285353374.jpg

Russ

The pin opens about 45 degrees, I took a better picture of the hallmark....

post-176-1285353553.jpg

militarymodels

I like the Amcraft Liaison wings. Not so sure about the Service wings because it looked kind of rough in the front by the feathers but I think it's OK, probably just the picture picked up all the dirt. Lonny