WWII Air Corp Staff Sergeant Chevron

Doug Beau

Hello All,

New to this site. Not a dealer, researching. My dad was a tail gunner in a B-24 based in Italy from 43 to 45.

455th Bomb group, 741st Squadron.

His medals were lost long ago and I contacted a veteran's agency to get them. I have his discharge papers and have a list of medals. I'm making a display for them and I want to include a 15th AF Patch, Squadron patch (Vulgar Vultures) and his staff sergeant's chevron.

I have 3 chevrons that show up as potentially authentic so I need help from experts to determine the correct one. I'm hesitant to use one that was designated as air force because there really was no air force in 1943. I want everything period accurate. Other than the chevron question I would appreciate leads to real patches listed above.

post-15755-1285334687.jpg

post-15755-1285334702.jpg

post-15755-1285334716.jpg

Thanks for any help

Doug

The patch in the middle would be correct for your display. You are correct about the top ones, they didn't exist in 1943. The bottom chevrons did exist during the war but I don't think they were authorized, although they were sometimes worn. You would be fine using the middle chevrons.

The patch in the middle would be correct for your display. You are correct about the top ones, they didn't exist in 1943. The bottom chevrons did exist during the war but I don't think they were authorized, although they were sometimes worn. You would be fine using the middle chevrons.

Thanks a lot old marine. I knew I would get help here.

The Air Force as a seperate branch was formed in the year 1947 out of the Army. From 1947-1958 the Air Force still retained the same rank structure as the Army: private, sergeant, staff sergeant, SFC, etc.... Now as far as the chevron style during the 1947-58 time period, I am not sure if they still used the same chevrons as the Army, my guess is yes because they still had the same rank structure. Your top ones I agree with Old Marine are not WW2 era at all, I would say they are Vietnam War era. I actually have some tech sergeant in that same exact style/color.

The Air Force as a seperate branch was formed in the year 1947 out of the Army. From 1947-1958 the Air Force still retained the same rank structure as the Army: private, sergeant, staff sergeant, SFC, etc.... Now as far as the chevron style during the 1947-58 time period, I am not sure if they still used the same chevrons as the Army, my guess is yes because they still had the same rank structure. Your top ones I agree with Old Marine are not WW2 era at all, I would say they are Vietnam War era. I actually have some tech sergeant in that same exact style/color.

The USAF chevrons like the Staff Sergeants above (top two chevrons),came out in 1949. Army style chevrons disappeared along with Army uniforms in the Air Force by about 1952. The Army ranks of Private, Private First Class, Corporal and Sergeant were all replaced in 1952 with Airman Basic (E-1), Airman 3rd Class (E-2), Airman 2nd Class (E-3), and Airman 1st Class (E-4), respectivley.

USAF ENLISTED RANK TITLES AND CHEVRONS - CLARIFICATION

As stated in a previous posting, the U.S. Air Force became a separate armed service in 1947 - September 18th, to be precise.

The Air Force continued to use Army enlisted rank titles until 1952 - Private through Master Sergeant.

The Air Force inroduced the new silver and blue strips in 1948, as promulgated by AFL 30-25, USAF Enlisted Insignia, 23 August 1948.

AFL 35-4, USAF Uniforms for Male Personnel, 1 September 1948, addresses how new AF insignia will be worn on the existing Army uniforms. It directs that the AF blue and silver stripes will be worn. This diectives also directs that Army uniforms will not be worn by AF personnel after 1 July 1951.

AFL 35-46, The New Air Force Uniform for Male personnel, 8 April 1949, introduces the new, blue uniform. This directive also uses the Army rank titles - Private through First Sergeant.

craig_pickrall

The unauthorized winged prop chevron in use:

Photos are from LIFE Magazine. The first is from the NOV 30, 1942 issue and second / third is from DEC 15, 1941 issue.

post-5-1285425513.jpg

post-5-1285425523.jpg

post-5-1285425530.jpg

The Air Force as a seperate branch was formed in the year 1947 out of the Army. From 1947-1958 the Air Force still retained the same rank structure as the Army: private, sergeant, staff sergeant, SFC, etc....

Yes but the Air Force never had SFC. The USAF sergeant grades are basically the same as the army grades of WW2, when buck sergeant was E-4 (but numbered differently at the time). Not long after the USAF went independent, the Army bumped buck sergeant up to E-5 (with one rocker) and changed T/Sgt to SFC, but the Air Force kept them the same. The Air Force later eliminated sergeant, but that's why USAF staff sergeants are a grade lower than Army/USMC.

best regards,

Justin