WWII Army Camos

turmanator

Anybody have and good pictures of the HBT Army camos?

A local Surpluse store has a Lg top for $50.00 in good condition and I want to make sure it is real.

Did these have snaps or buttons? This one has big light green plastic "hidden" buttons

If I remeber correctly it also has a gas flap. Does this sound right?

Did these have snaps or buttons? This one has big light green plastic "hidden" buttons

If I remeber correctly it also has a gas flap. Does this sound right?

Yes, WWII Army camouflage uniforms had hidden plastic buttons and a gas flap. The buttons, however; were usually various shades of brown, not green. The only green plastic buttons I have seen were on reproductions made by ATF some years ago. I am not saying that no WWII Army camouflage uniforms didn't have a green shaded button, I have just never seen green buttons on an original.

These are kind of a mustardy-green color.

So, if all is well is the top worth $50.00? Seems in good shape, just a little fading, but even fading.

I really want it, but that can be a bad thing.

Also, how many pockets did they have?

These are kind of a mustardy-green color.

So, if all is well is the top worth $50.00? Seems in good shape, just a little fading, but even fading.

I really want it, but that can be a bad thing.

Also, how many pockets did they have?

Be sure and test the jacket. There are a few repros out there that will fool even the experienced collector once they have been aged. The tops had 2 chest pockets. The buttons are usually brown in color, but the greens could be late war or replacements. If it's original, $50 is a steal.

Dave

Be sure and test the jacket. There are a few repros out there that will fool even the experienced collector once they have been aged. The tops had 2 chest pockets. The buttons are usually brown in color, but the greens could be late war or replacements. If it's original, $50 is a steal.

Dave

Do repros have Gas Flaps? And what kind of tag should I see?

Have you tried asking the people at the store about it? There might be a slim chance that they'll tell you if it's

reproed. My thinking is if it's been there a while that might be what it is.

Never know till you try.

Have you tried asking the people at the store about it? There might be a slim chance that they'll tell you if it's

reproed. My thinking is if it's been there a while that might be what it is.

Never know till you try.

I actually "know" the guy. He is at some of our reenactments and such but is kinda an "odd bird" so I

don't know how much I would trust his answers, or if he knows whether they are real or not ....

The reproductions ATF made several years ago had gas flaps. There should be a tag in the neck stating the size: 38, 40, 42, etc. Original WWII Army camouflage hbt jackets were not marked Medium, Large, Extra Large, etc.

I actually "know" the guy. He is at some of our reenactments and such but is kinda an "odd bird" so I

don't know how much I would trust his answers, or if he knows whether they are real or not ....

OK, I see what you're sayin. I know people like that too.

Yes, the repros are identical to the WW2 camos in almost every way possible. The ones made by ATF and SM Wholesale seem to be the better ones. I believe that the tags are close to the originals as well. If you can find a piece of stitching that is loose, then you could perform a "burn" test and see if the thread is cotton or polyester/cotton blend. This would be the route I'd take, as the presence or absence of the poly/cotton blend will be an automatic indicator.

Dave

The reproductions ATF made several years ago had gas flaps. There should be a tag in the neck stating the size: 38, 40, 42, etc. Original WWII Army camouflage hbt jackets were not marked Medium, Large, Extra Large, etc.

I just looked at my set of ATF Marine cammies that I got last Nov. The jacket has a very small stamped M

The pants have a small waist size stamp along the waistband.

Thanks for all the answers, guys. I will go back and do a closer inspection with my new-found knowledge. If they seem real you will see a pic show up here!

Hello,

We didn't hear back about your possible purchase of the WWII Army Camo jacket, but in the meantime, here are some photos of an original set of Army camouflage jacket and trousers.

ArmyCamo-1.jpg

Jacket front.

ArmyCamo-2.jpg

Jacket back.

ArmyCamo-3.jpg

Sleeve detail.

ArmyCamo-4.jpg

Neck detail with hood buttons. I never have seen a hood for a camouflage uniform, has anyone else? Maybe they were just for the standard 1941 jacket hood?

ArmyCamo-5.jpg

Size tag.

ArmyCamo-6.jpg

Trousers front.

ArmyCamo-7.jpg

Trousers rear.

ArmyCamo-8.jpg

Trouser button detail.

ArmyCamo-9.jpg

Trouser leg detail.

Hope these pictures help you in your determination of whether the $50.00 jacket is real or reproduction.

BEAUTIFUL cammos!

I *THINK* that the collar buttons were for the wool gas hood, rather than a "regular" hood.

Steve

Steve,

Thanks, I knew that they were for some kind of hood, I just wasn't sure what type.

Outstanding set, GI :w00t: :thumbsup: I'd put up some of mine as well, but our old computer died and took our pictures with it :dry:

I need to come up with a different way to store photos... :think:

• 2 months later...

Hello,

We didn't hear back about your possible purchase of the WWII Army Camo jacket, but in the meantime, here are some photos of an original set of Army camouflage jacket and trousers.

Went back yesterady. Repo, Tag only says "L" (not 42 L or any size number)

Oh well, back to the hunt. But at least I know what to look for. Thanks for the info!

I was a bit surprised the originals have a white tag in them too,

• 4 months later...

I recently picked up one of these camouflage Army jackets for my collection, I took a liking to them after seeing a great mannequin display a friend did with his set, now I just need the pants.

I thought these Army camouflage pieces would be difficult to find, but it was fairly easy to find the jacket. How common are these jackets and the pants?