USAF and USN pilots

Bebel

Thank you to all for your nice comments.

Cool !!!!! :) They sometimes used a flare pocket in MKII vest like a knife pocket? :)

the best regards,

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

Yes, they do sometime as seen in the photo below (39th FIS pilots in Korea with Lt Eichenberg at the left wearing a blue G-4A and an USN MK-2 mae west with his hunting knife in the flare pocket; interesting to see that three over the four pilots were using this USN life preserver. Also note the newly K-2B flight suit on both two men in middle. The second pilot from the left is wearing his knife under the USAF B-5 vest.)

Franck

39thfis.jpg

I supposed that You put here a vintage photo with kind of knife in flare pocket :) GREAT !!!!

Maybe a MKII vest was more effective than B5?

Cheers,

Jerry

Jerry, you're right.

I have this photo since about 35 years! This is certainly one of the 50's pilots photos which has conducted me collecting US flightgears and related items from this era!... :rolleyes:

Franck

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Little changes in my jackets display. These jackets have been detailed in some other older posts on USMF.

- L-2B (1965) from a B-52 gunner

- A-2 (Dec. 1941 contract) refurbished for Korean war theatre at beginning of the 50s, belonged to an (unidentified) 7th FBS member

- JFSW - Jacket Flying Suit, Winter - (1963) from a VF-41 & VF-84 Phantom Radar Interceptor Officier

Franck

20130405r.jpg

• 4 months later...

At the end of the F50s, US Air Force modernizes some flight equipment for its crews. Certain equipment evolves whereas others, completely new, make their appearance.

This pilot could as well be flying on any Century Series fighters, Super F-100 Sabre, F-101 Voodoo or F-102 Delta Dagger, as on fighters of the former generation like F-86 Sabre or F-84 Thunderstreak. Only some details can be different, in particular on some parachute accessories, according to the type of ejection seat of the plane.

So, our pilot is wearing:

- a K-2B flight suit (Suit, Flying, Man' S, Very Light - Specification Mil-S-6265C), whose first version had been issued at the end of the war of Korea
- black leather combat boots, being used as flying boots in USAF (Boot, Combat, Service, Resistant Mildew - spéc. Mil-B-11077)
- a CSU-3/P anti-g cutaqay, which replaced the worthy G-3A, since the end of the 50s (Anti-g Garment, Cutaway - spéc. Mil-A-24892)
- an L-2B flight jacket (Jacket, Flying, Light - spéc. Mil-J-7448D)
- BA-3A brown leather flight gloves (Flying, Gloves, Leather, Summer - spéc. Mil-G-9087A)
- a MA-2A life preserver, improved version of the MA-2 (in particular by the addition of eyelets for ventilation avoiding inopportune inflation at high altitude), itself succeeding to the B-5 from 1945, (Life Preserver, Underarm, Pneumatic - spéc. Mil-L-25926)
- a BA-18 back style parachute (Parachute, Automatic, Back style - 50C7024-18), which has regained two canopy releases. Previous models from the middle of the 50s (P/N 50C7024-12, -13 and -15) did not have any more that one on the left shoulder, but the Air Force realized that in the event of sea landing, the canopy remaining hung to the harness by a side, could quickly train the pilot in water. This version of the beginning of the 60s is equipped with the anti-windblast handle, which will be abandoned because not practical in manual opening.
- an HGU-2/P flight helmet (Helmet, Flying, Protective), whose first specimens are manufactured by Mine Safety Appliance Company. it's neither than one evolution of the USN APH-5 helmet, in service in both Navy and USMC since 1957. It succeeds the P-4B, last version of the helmets P” serie of the 50s.
- an MBU-5/P O2 mask (Oxygen, Mask - spéc. Mil-27274), with its bayonets hooked in the helmet receivers.

Franck

8n0p.jpg85f8.jpg

yla4.jpgzzdx.jpg

foe9.jpg

9ivz.jpg

Great collection. I really like how you have everything displayed.

JD

JD,

Thank you very much. I'm surprised it seems to be no much collectors about this thema in USA. Or perhaps are they all discreet? :)

Franck

Framed Fawtupac (Fleet All Weather Training unit of Pacific) photo and insignia from 1949 when VCN-1 changed in Fawtupac. This unit will then change again to VC-3 which will see combat in Korea.

fvyn.jpg

Wow Franck what a great posters!!!!! Looks very cool!

I like Your new impression with new parachute! They didnt used more survival equipment?

Cheers,

Jerry

Thank you Jerry.

Survival equipment was in the seat pack on the ejection seat. The pack was then attached to the pilot in the aircraft. However, the pilot could wear a survival vest. In addition, an emergency radio beacon and a little survival kit could be integrated in the parachute pack. But all these items have been more later used in Vietnam war than at the beginning of the 60s in USA.

Franck

• 2 months later...

An evocation of the CVA-10 Yorktown's Westpac 56. She embarked the Air Group n° 4, with VF-23 “Flashers”, VF-94 “Tough Kitty”, VF-214 “The Volunteers” and VA-216 “Black Diamond”. These squadrons flew respectively on F2H Banshee, F8F Cougar and AD4 Skyraider.

The left G-1 is a Monarch (Mil-J-7823). It was belonging to Cdr William H. Neal III, VF-23 CO. This one on the right is a J.A. Dubow and belonged to LCdr William J. Dorney who was a young Lt(jg) at this time young person Lt (JG). He's standing in the middle of the second rank on the VF-214 pilots grooup picture.

The logbook in background is this one used during this Westpac by Cdr Neal.

Franck

8u0s.jpg

ATG-4 patch, with all the squadrons insignias of the Group.

4z6z.jpg

Franck, Great collection!

Id love to see more pics of the 324th FIS P3 helmet if you have some time. I've been trying to find on their original patches, at a reasonable price anyways.

I've been collecting patches from the 50s and 60s from units that had been assigned to bases in the New England area of the US. 324th at one time in the 50s was stationed at Westover AFB not far from where I grew up as well as the 76th FIS being assigned their too in the early 60s. I have an original of the 76th's patch from their time at Westover. I only have 2 original FIS patches from Westover: 60th FIS and 76th FIS, missing the 324th FIS and 337th FIS patches. Collecting earlier patches is pretty much as far as I've gone. Collecting the actual flight gear and suits etc is far too costly for me on top of the more modern stuff I like to collect. Again, you have a super collection of flight gear!

Tom

Tom,

Two pics of my 324th FIS helmet. Original patch from this squadron is difficult to find, I guess. I've been looking for one for display with the helmet but I've given up. I've seen only one that was sold for an astronomic price. I wish you to find this one you want.

Franck

7x39.jpgvg2r.jpg