a woodland pattern pick mattox carrier

jgawne

Here's a pretty obscure bit of gear. An Alice Woodland nylon carrier for a Pickmattox. This is a big tool, not the small one as used in WW2. Not sure who got these, but darned if they didn't make a carrier for them!

pickmattock.jpg

Yep, got one just like that hanging off my CFP-90 pack. Told by an old Engineer that these were designed for Europe to cut through the roots of bushes as the other end is not a pick, but a perpendicular spade.

Just goes to show you, you can't own everything (although I do try).

I still need a CFP-90, but I hate paying the prices people want these days.

Just goes to show you, you can't own everything (although I do try).

I still need a CFP-90, but I hate paying the prices people want these days.

Funny you should say that. For a pack that was never really implemented, the prices started high and never really came down in price. I have three and glad I got them when I did.

Funny you should say that. For a pack that was never really implemented, the prices started high and never really came down in price. I have three and glad I got them when I did.

I've always wondered that too. I think it's a neat pack system although maybe it's not so great for the actual users? Do you like yours Hawk? I'd love to get one but the prices always seem quite high.

sorry for straying further off-topic!

Terry

It just seems like for an older model pack, the prices have stayed very high. You can buy at least two current MOLLE II packs with all the trimmings for what they want.

Yep, got one just like that hanging off my CFP-90 pack. Told by an old Engineer that these were designed for Europe to cut through the roots of bushes as the other end is not a pick, but a perpendicular spade.

The "perpendicular spade" is the mattock. A mattock is a flat digging tool and a pick is a pointed one the combination is a Pick-Mattock.

The "perpendicular spade" is the mattock. A mattock is a flat digging tool and a pick is a pointed one the combination is a Pick-Mattock.

On this particular model, both ends are mattock, one is perpendicular to the other. One is for horizontal blade work, the other is for vertical work.

We had these in the 101st, 3/187 IN, circa 1997-1999. They probably still had them after I left. We didn't normally carry them out but on one JRTC exercise, we carried 1 for every 2 soldiers because we knew we would have to dig positions. Work real good, better than the issue E-tools in rocky/hard stuff.

How much do you want to bet that this one was surplued out as the carrier was woodland, and a contract placed to buy all new ones, only with the ACU pattern carrier.

How much do you want to bet that this one was surplued out as the carrier was woodland, and a contract placed to buy all new ones, only with the ACU pattern carrier.

I would never try to understand the DRMO system, you simply can't do it with a logical mind.

• 4 years later...
VolunteerArmoury

We had these in the 101st, 3/187 IN, circa 1997-1999. They probably still had them after I left. We didn't normally carry them out but on one JRTC exercise, we carried 1 for every 2 soldiers because we knew we would have to dig positions. Work real good, better than the issue E-tools in rocky/hard stuff.

Interesting you say that. The main areas I've found them was around Clarksville. Especially that Eagle sof War or whatever the place was/is on that main drag outside of post.

The CFP-90 is an internal frame pack, and they are prized to high hell by backpackers for the seperateable packs and internal frames.

I see people boasting on various backpacking forums about boosting them out of various surplus stores. And when you see prices for top grade civlian packs the same quality.... you will know why they boost these.

Same reason the Alice packs are not a few bucks like the rest of the Alice systems now.

Your welcome Priority One glad you like pics. No markings on the carrier. Just the cast in markings on the mattock head and painted safety markings on handle.