What movie started your love of war movies

cutiger83

I too have seen many war movies even old ones, now I'm downloading victories lost with Burt Lancaster, sand of Iwo Jima and the bible of the Marine Corps, beautiful, then I saw baatan, air force, first victory, We Were Soldiers, Windtalkers, battle cry I've read the book, the great escape, etc., now though at least some of these Duno we would like them remake, with today's technologies would make them beautiful instead of the usual crap that trimmed,

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Brian Dentino

Tora, Tora, Tora......remember seeing it in school in celebration of a buddies birthday in 3rd grade. Yes, his birthday is December 7th....so I guess that is how we got to see it in school. :thumbsup:

Love this topic because I have made some feeble (so far) attempts at screenwriting.

-TV show "Rat Patrol" was the first that started it all. I was probably 3 or 4. Use to watch with my mom who is a huge history freak

-Tora Tora Tora

-Patton (though even at 8 years old I knew those were not correct period US tanks and the German ones were US!).

-Glory

-Saving Private Ryan ( I have never been in combat but the sound design of the bullet ricochets off the hedgehogs still freaks me out.

-Band of Brothers

-Full Metal Jacket

-Joyeux Noel

-Baa Baa Black Sheep TV show (Robert Conrad was a bad a** even when he sold batteries).

Chris

For me, my first "big screen" war movie experience was "The Longest Day". I was 8 or 9 years old when it was released in the early 60s and was taken to see it by my late father. I've seen it countless time since on video/DVD and, despite its faults, it remains one of my all time favourites. I can even hear its catchy theme-tune in my head as I type these words!

Sabrejet :thumbsup:

PS. I forgot I added to this long-running thread already!! :blush:

There are so many, but I remember early in my youth, my two Uncles, both Captains in the army and early collectors of WWII vehicles, took me to see Patton at the theatre (of course they didn't tell my Mom) and of course that got me hooked on war movies with my favorites being The Battle of Britain, The Great Escape, The Dirty Dozen, The Devils Brigade and Kellys Heroes. When I was a kid I would buy all kinds of "surplus" but had no knowledge of what I was buying and no collecting focus.

What actually got me collecting again after 20 years was the Band of Brothers series. Since then I have amassed quite a nice collection, but I sure wish I had started again after I saw A Bridge Too Far, then I'd have a huge collection and it would have cost me a lot less!!

Fun thread, thanks to all for sharing....it brought back lots of movie memories that make me want to watch them all over again! :thumbsup:

Rick

p.s./ I also loved Rat Patrol, McHales Navy, Hogans Heroes and Baa Baa Black Sheep as far as TV shows went! :lol:

The Longest Day with my dad when I was six years old. It was also the only movie I have ever attended that had an intermission in the middle.

I ended up in the 101st ABN because of that darn movie too. :)

rufus_firefly

The Bridges at Toko-Ri, 1954, starring William Holden, Grace Kelly, Fredric March, Mickey Rooney, and Earl Holliman. You could feel the cold. Carrier operations during the Korean War. Won an Oscar for special effects. The Caine Mutiny with Humphrey Bogart and an excellent supporting cast, also 1954. Finally, She Wore A yellow Ribbon, 1949. John Wayne, need I say more.

Don

I think PT-109 was my first favorite film (influenced my decision to join the Navy ) and then Halls of Montezuma with Richard Widmark.

Its not American but my big bro took me to see "Zulu" when i was 7.....after that at 10 i saw "A Bridge Too Far".....scary at that age....but totally gripping

kev

The two movies that really got me started were two that I saw with my pop. Bataan and the Bridges at Toko-Ri. Saw both of them on Saturdays sitting on the couch with my dad. They also used to play the series 12 O'clock High and my neighbor Bill Fitzgerald who had been a B24 crewman during the war used to explain stuff to me.

439th Signal Battalion
Watching my dad's favorite film with him, Gunga Din.

Gunga Din...what a great movie that I had forgotten all about. I'll have to watch it again soon.

Kurt Barickman

Trip to Portugal :thumbsup: Wow, very nice. As far as interest, definitely Combat Series but Red Beach to be sure. Watched it the other day, not as great as I once thought.

Kurt Barickman

• 1 month later...

Wow! Great thread! Brings back good memories and can pretty much blame my dad for my collecting and reenacting. Remember being about 5 or 6 and watching all the classic John Wayne Pacific films (Sands of Iwo Jima etc) and others like Halls of Montezuma on Sunday afternoons with him. Since I started getting more into collecting, I have been watching more of the Good 'Ole films and can also add Objective Burma to that list :-) However, the two that I REALLY remember strongly are The Longest Day and the Great Escape. Classic '60's films. I loved them so much I made a wooden thompson after seeing those, and started buying army crap. All downhill from there...

However, the one that had the greatest impact on me was Saving Private Ryan. Borrowed this on VHS and watched it at about the age of 12/13. Was truly shocked by how different it was to the B&W matinee style films listed above!

Got da Penny

Started as a 13 yr old watching Baa Baa Black Sheep.

Then for some reason i got hooked on the TV Mini Series --->The Winds of War http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085112/.

Then we got cable television and i was exposed to all the Memorial/Veterans Day Movie Marathons.

Had to go see SPR on the BIG SCREEN. ........... Well, you know how that turned out.

Honorable mentions ........

1. Apocalypse Now

2. A Bridge Too Far

3. DasBoot -- Directors Cut

4. The Big Red One -- Directors Cut :thumbsup:

5. Sahara -- Bogart 1943

Carey

O.D.Junkman

I guess it would be Patton, it seemed liked such a big deal back then the first time it came on t.v. and being that my grandfather was a tank driver thru WW2 and used to talk about Patton inspecting the troops and all his rules when he was under his command.

And Dirty Dozen is right up there too back when it first hit the t.v. screen.

KELLY's HEROES had lots of cool scenes with them wearing the M1 helmet with nets, I always wanted one of those helmets and was willing to pay all my money to get one, I remember wanting a real WWII helmet really bad, but never found one , they were always hard to find at my local surplus store, once in a while they might get a few liners but no WWII shells

KELLY's HEROES had lots of cool scenes with them wearing the M1 helmet with nets, I always wanted one of those helmets and was willing to pay all my money to get one, I remember wanting a real WWII helmet really bad, but never found one , they were always hard to find at my local surplus store, once in a while they might get a few liners but no WWII shells

Sounds like me when I was younger, after watching saving private Ryan I wanted a m1 helmet with a net soooooooooo badly. I finally got one which in 2002 (6th grade) I later found out was a vietnam era helmet with net.

Then after band of brothers I wanted a paratrooper helmet with net and scrim.

A scrimed/meshed up para helmet is still my favorite to this day. They're just so pretty!

2 things which happened the same day on my 7th birthday in 1970

My Aunts came over with my dads Helmet liner among other presents, and me and dad watched Battleground that afternoon on WPIX. He explained how realistic it was, how cold the real deal was and I was in Awe as I had not really put it together that My dad had been in the Army and fought until then.

Without a doubt, it was A Bridge Too Far that had a huge impact on me as a kid. It was all the more special when my British buddy later gave me his copy of the 1st edition book signed by his uncle and 19 others who were at the bridge!

-Ski

• 4 months later...
canadian bacon

well for me it was a movie that i haven't heard anyone on here mention yet when i was about 8 i had a "obsession" with the story of the kms bismark and was in the video store and found tucked away in a $.50 bin an old vhs copy of sink the bismark ever since i watched i have loved war movies especially the older ones such as the longest day,flying tigers, battle cry and all quiet on the western front and it all started for me with sink the bismark (as a side note i had the privillage to purchase a medal group belong to a survivor of bismark and one from a crewman of the hood :w00t: )

La 317ème Section - The Best War Movie Ever !

The Longest Day

A Bridge Too Far

Gunga Din

The Lives of A Bengal Lancer

The Sand Pebbles

The Wild Geese

And if Cavalry Movies do count, all John Ford's.