What movie started your love of war movies

cutiger83

The very first movie (of any type) I remember seeing was ZULU! I saw it at a drive in outside Ft. Reily KS. The red jackets of the British made an impression on me. The movie Air Force was a movie that I would always watch when it came on one of the 4 stations we could get when I was a kid. I still enjoy the movie.

Steve

For me it started when I was 7, with "The Longest Day."

I was born in 1961 so i needless to say , would have bee to young to have see the longest day when it was first released in the fall of 1962. I did however see with my father, when it was rereleased in june 1969 in commemoration of the 25th anniversry of the invasion of normandy. He and i seen a few movies in the late 60s from 1967 on.The ones where the dirty dozen, Custer of the west, anzio, The undefeatables, brown and richtoffen. Oddly enough i did not see Patto when it first came out in 1970, my mother would not let my father take me, she being of the world war two generation and remembered the stories of Gen Patton profanity and vulger language, and thought i would be a movie laced with patton cursing etc, so my father when without me, going to a evening show, i can remember being very upset in not going. When it came out TV, i dont know ? in like 1975 ? we all together, watched it and i said there is no no cursing from patton, and as we know now since it has been released to cable and vhs, there is none of thr real profanity that patton was famous for i it, and is mild to say the least in regards to the stuff thats been out since say the mid to late 70s. In 1977 my father and i seen our last war movie together(He did'nt die or anything like that,there just wasn't any worthwhile after that movie as far as he was and i guess concerned.) it was A Bridge to far, And i remember being stuned by the scene when james caan has the 45. pointed at the surgeon's head, in the hospital, and uses the F word, i believe that was the first time i heard that word in a movie.

My fondest memory ,was my dad taking me to see "gungha din",and "seargants three"...in the early 50,s......although these films were made in the 30,s the british raj etc. My early ww2 film has to be Young Lions with Marlon Brando as a german officer.

RustyCanteen

A very classic film!

I think it's also good that they did not film it in color.

RC

RustyCanteen

It's interesting that so many of the classic war films that got most of us interested were filmed in such a short span (1960-1971), it seems as if fewer and fewer films are released about WWII anymore.

RC

It's interesting that so many of the classic war films that got most of us interested were filmed in such a short span (1960-1971), it seems as if fewer and fewer films are released about WWII anymore.

RC

Your right in many ways, but it should be noted that it would depend on when one was born, my father for instance loved 4 movies that he seen as a kid in the 30s, All quiet on the western front, the lost patrol, wings, and hells angels, and a few others but these where his favorites, indeed there where quite a few outstanding films in the 30s, some that come to mind are gunga din , dawn patrol(the errol flynn and david niven version), beau geste, the lives of the bengal lancers,the charge of the light brigade, even that shirley temple movie wee willie winke about a little girl in a scottish regiment in india in the 19th century was alright and a host of others to include those made in 40-41 before our involvment in WWII. The same can hold true in the immidiate post war era, Movies like battle ground , Sand of Iwo jima, Twelve o'clock high, etc, But i can't say much about movies this day in age, there are a few like the spielberg one,s i guess, and possably some really good sleepers, like perhaps everyman war(Din't see it but looks o.k.) but back to what you where saying about the 60s time frame, i guess war movies where reaching the apex, and we just happened to be around at that time.

Same for me...TLD. I saw it in the late 60's when I was probably about age 7 or so. Talk about being riveted to the TV! It was awesome. Of course, we only had two TV stations available back then.

I think the other movie that got me hooked about the same time was "Guadalcanal Diary." I think the Japenese soldiers were chanting "tonight's the night you die" over and over. At least I think that was the movie. I remember thinking the the GI's were such studs and I felt comforted that these were the same men that were some of my friend's fathers. The father of a close friend back then was "rumored" to have been bayoneted my a Japenese soldier during the war. Of course we held his father in high regard...never quite knowing if this was true...but it really made the movie hit home!

Great topic...

JD

Im a bit confused,not to difficult at my age,sergants three,........victor meglaglan, douglas fairbanks jnr.and carey grant ??

reference to charge of the light brigade.....i was in it, the remake in the 60,s........at that time i was in the Kings troop RHA in st johns wood london and they used our barracks for some of the scenes........When the film opened in Leicester square i along with 4 others play,d a fanfare to start the movie....the queen attended.....but at rehearsals i got the chance to play the original bugle that sounded the charge.......quite moving I will never forget the sound.

Like many of you older guys I attended all the Saturday movies during WW2 and immediately post-war. Any movie with John Wayne was a favorite. After seeing Sands of Iwo Jima I could not imagine anyone being anything else but a sergeant in the USMC. I was especially impressed with the movie news they would show us before each movie. Seeing live action footage was impressive but the most shocking were the films shot of the concentration camps as they were being liberated. This sparked a life long interest in both world wars and when I became a middle school history teacher I saw to it that my students were exposed to these same live shots so that they would know the difference between Hollywood and the real world of war. Veterans also spoke to my classes and shared their experiences and memorabilia. Movies and news reels are great teaching tools if used properly.

I'm pretty sure it was Saving Private Ryan for me. I was 13 at the time so it coincided with the start of my militaria collecting.

I know I saw clips of Glory and Platoon before that, but SPR and Band of Brothers did it for me.

Im a bit confused,not to difficult at my age,sergants three,........victor meglaglan, douglas fairbanks jnr.and carey grant ??

reference to charge of the light brigade.....i was in it, the remake in the 60,s........at that time i was in the Kings troop RHA in st johns wood london and they used our barracks for some of the scenes........When the film opened in Leicester square i along with 4 others play,d a fanfare to start the movie....the queen attended.....but at rehearsals i got the chance to play the original bugle that sounded the charge.......quite moving I will never forget the sound.

Sergeants three was a take on gunga din, where as it takes place in the old west, with the characters here, being U.S. army sergeants, they where played by Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Peter Lawford, the part of the Gunga Din like character was played by Sammy Davis JR. In it the same senario is applied, with davis playing a former slave who dreams about joining up and being a bugler in the regular army. Very interresting your story about the remake of Charge of the light brigade. The British army in the 60s, they appeared as extras in a few movies back then, like that John Lennon movie,i forget the name now, its a WWII movie kind of a satire, he plays a tommy with a odd name, snodweed or something to that affect. Ta-ta for now.

The elephant in Gunga Din is a Missouri mule in "Sergeants Three".

shrapnel Victor Mclaglen, Douglas Fairbanks jr. and Carey Grant Where the three sergeants in "Gunga Din" made in 1939. AS others have said "Sergeants Three" is the 1962 Americanized remake of Gunga Din.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0031398/

The elephant in Gunga Din is a Missouri mule in "Sergeants Three".

shrapnel Victor Mclaglen, Douglas Fairbanks jr. and Carey Grant Where the three sergeants in "Gunga Din" made in 1939. AS others have said "Sergeants Three" is the 1962 Americanized remake of Gunga Din.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0031398/

Cheers "45"........the confusion and dust of battle has cleared.......im goin for a lie down now :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
tdogchristy90

For me what started it all was seeing We were soldiers with Mel Gibson as a kid. I'm now 23 and can barely watch the movie for some off reason lol. I'd say what really kicked off my love for historical media though was band of brothers. I love that series.

Back when i was a kid there were so many to choose from. The Big Picture, Navy Log, Combat, Gallent Men, Rat Patrol, The Lt., the short military films they would throw in to fill time, there was even a series on about West Point and the Thunderbirds plus many more. My Father would never watch them, he wouldn't even watch Hogan's Heroes. At that time I didn't understand why.

On to movies. I used to watch The Tanks Are Comming, Immitation General whenever they showed up on Million Dollar Movie out of New York. Then there was Attack where I could see a tank runover some guy's arm. Not to mention Air Force, 30 Seconds Over Tokyo, Sahara, A walk in the Sun, Operation Petticoat, Father Goose, Wakiest Ship in the Army, Flying Tigers, To Hell and Back, and Sink the Bismarck and Dam Busters.

My buddy and I both joke that "First Blood" was our recruitment film. I went into the army fall of 85 he was fall of 86. Battle Ground is one of my all time favorites have on DVD and if channel surfing and it is on I usually will end up watching it.

• 1 month later...