1800s EGA on Shield - Real or Fake?

Tonomachi

August 12, 2007

I took a chance and purchased this EGA on a shield at an Insignia Show in San Jose, California. It was kind of pricey ($200.00) so I got a money back guarantee.

Can someone tell me if this is real or fake. The shield measures from top to bottom 3 5/8" and 3 3/8" wide. Whatever rear attachments that existed at one time are missing from the shield. The EGA looks like it is attached at 3 points. There is some sort of hook at the top and possibly solder at the lower two points.

Thanks,

Dennis

post-1389-1186957688.jpg

post-1389-1186957706.jpg

post-1389-1186957733.jpg

post-1389-1186958073.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

Dennis, I have looked at your photo's several times today and have concluded the pieces (shield & emblem) are in fact period originals. That being said, I cannot verify for you (nor likely anyone else) that these two items started life together. I am perplexed by what appears to be "repairs" to holes which are observed on the rear of the shield. And surmise the original "prongs" of the EGA either this one (or the original?) simply wore out and the EGA was lead soldered in place? I am only presuming... from the photo's you present.

The back of the shield also shows several other locations were this lead solder was used, which in and of itself is not an issue or troubling, as the prongs of these shields and EGA's were subject to allot of wear and tear. However the wear across the surfaces of the EGA is much heavier than that exhibited on the shield, in other words, inconsistent... from my perspective. Hence I suspect the EGA and shield did not start life together. Another observation that leads me to this conclusion; the lack of "crud"... you know dust, dirt, lint and so forth that should have accumulated between the shield and the back side of the EGA... is not present. Since this device is over 100 years old, one would expect to see this crud present. You can observe this area from the side view you have provided in you first group of photo's... this area is clean.

So what do we have... a period original shield and EGA that are correct. Were they married by Bannerman, Stokes or Kirkland... maybe? Or may be not? We they married some 50 years ago by some enterprising collector... perhaps? Did they just get pulled off a shako or out of a an old sealocker, very likely not. In the end you do have two period original parts that correctly represent an enlisted shako, and $200 is a fair price. A period original that has not been messed with and comes with provenance... 3x to 4x that price. IMHO ;) s/f Darrell

teufelhunde.ret

Dennis, wanted to show you the single from my collection. As you can see, I think they both share the same lineage. ;) s/f Darrell

shako_plate_004.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

Officer's wore them on the full dress hat from 1876 to 1892. Enlisted wore them on the full dress hat from 1876 to 1892. And for a very short period on the Black Prussian style helment, but, was quickly replaced by a larger EGA around September 1892. s/f Darrell

• 10 months later...
Leatherneck72
August 12, 2007

I took a chance and purchased this EGA on a shield at an Insignia Show in San Jose, California. It was kind of pricey ($200.00) so I got a money back guarantee.

Can someone tell me if this is real or fake. The shield measures from top to bottom 3 5/8" and 3 3/8" wide. Whatever rear attachments that existed at one time are missing from the shield. The EGA looks like it is attached at 3 points. There is some sort of hook at the top and possibly solder at the lower two points.

Thanks,

Dennis

This large size emblem was not for the P1875 shako. This emblem that started this thread is for the snare drum from the same period. The emblem shown is 100% correct. The smaller shield shown in the thread has new solder on it, and looks married at a later date.