1st Marine Air Wing WWII?

AndrewA74

could be the pic/flash. try the burn test on one of the loose threads

the front texture does look a bit different, but I don't own many patches

Hi,

Is the base material felt? If so it's legit. There are a few variations of USMC patches that are fully embroidered on felt. They tend to look a little funky.

Bill

As Bill pointed out, there are some original WWII USMC patches that are fully embroidered on red felt medium or base material. I believe Andrew's is an original examples and was simply done by one particular, unknown maker of Marine patches during WWII. I think one of the reasons his I MAW looks loosely embroidered and shiny is because it is unissued and had never been washed or cleaned to give it a chance to tighten up and fade.

Here are some other original WWII USMC Air Wing patches done on red felt medium and pretty much of the same style as Andrews. The II MAW was removed from an old moth eathen WWII Marine overcoat, by me, at the Pueblo, CO landfill in the late 1950's. The III MAW has also been in my collection for many years. If you notice, these fully embroidered on red felt medium Air Wing patches don't have black highlighting thread around the anchor, as do all of the examples with khaki medium by other makers.

Gary

post-84-1187077532.jpg

post-84-1187077546.jpg

post-84-1187077559.jpg

post-84-1187077574.jpg

In addition to the WWII USMC Air Wing patches, one particular variation of the WWII 2nd Marine Division patch can also be found in fully embroidered on red felt medium. From the embroidery, it pretty much looks like it was made by the same maker. I'm sure there are other original WWII Marine patches out there by this maker, but I haven't found them yet.

Gary

post-84-1187078004.jpg

post-84-1187078015.jpg

Gary, I too have some different examples of USMC patches fully embroidered on felt. One is a Londonderry Detachment on red felt and the other is a Defense Battalion (I am blanking on the number right now) on what I believe to be white felt. Note they both have a funny looking weave. Sorry for the not so great pics, its the best I can do from my file photos since my collection is still in storage.

post-781-1187085043.jpg

Gary, I too have some different examples of USMC patches fully embroidered on felt. One is a Londonderry Detachment on red felt and the other is a Defense Battalion (I am blanking on the number right now) on what I believe to be white felt. Note they both have a funny looking weave. Sorry for the not so great pics, its the best I can do from my file photos since my collection is still in storage.

Hey Vance,

That would be 13th Defense Bn and Londonderry Det. Those are a couple of nice ones to have fully embroidered on felt. I was fairly certain there would be other USMC patches by this maker, but hadn't found them. I'm also fairly certain that this maker limited their patches to Marine Corps, because I haven't seen any, that I recall, for Army or Navy yet.

Gary