Brodie helmet restoration

cco23i

O.K all,

I am restoring a brodie helmet to WW1 British and I need a source for the green/brown color the Brits used. Any suggestions?

Scott

you probably have to mix two colors together to get the right color your looking for, they usually hand painted them with a paint brush from my observations, you can usually see brush strokes on the British shells from WWI.

you probably have to mix two colors together to get the right color your looking for, they usually hand painted them with a paint brush from my observations, you can usually see brush strokes on the British shells from WWI.

Thanks boss. I had a feeling i'd be mixing paint.

Scott

citizensoldier

Scott,

I've seen some variation of color with identified Brodie helmets issued to AEF soldiers during WW1. One color I've seen that is an extremely close match to a few helmets in my collection is Ace Hardware's "Woodstock" oil based enamel. I ended up using this paint on some of the thrashed British shells I've repainted. There is a little bit of gloss to it at first but once you've had it in the field a bit, the sheen wears off. Check it out and if you don't have an Ace hardware near where you live, let me know and I can send a color card your way to have it matched.

Darrek

Scott,

I've seen some variation of color with identified Brodie helmets issued to AEF soldiers during WW1. One color I've seen that is an extremely close match to a few helmets in my collection is Ace Hardware's "Woodstock" oil based enamel. I ended up using this paint on some of the thrashed British shells I've repainted. There is a little bit of gloss to it at first but once you've had it in the field a bit, the sheen wears off. Check it out and if you don't have an Ace hardware near where you live, let me know and I can send a color card your way to have it matched.

Darrek

Thanks Darrek I will check it out as we have an Ace right down the road. :thumbsup:

Scott