101st SSI on eBay...am I missing something?

pbuchh7715

eBay item # 260664971946

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-WWII-101st-AIRBOR...=item3cb0d7d2aa

I'll preface this by writing that I'm not exactly Yoda when it comes to 101st SSI so if I come across as ignorant, well.....

But really? Sorry, I have no way of grabbing and posting pictures of this $2,500 patch....

Best,

Peter

Photos. I'm pretty sure it is a repro. The tinsel gives me matter for worry.

-Ski

I kind of doubt that it is a repro. Dan is a very advanced airborne collector who like Rarepatchman pays alot for what he wants and knows is rare. I have known and dealt with Dan for 20 years and though a hard negotiator he would not sell a repro unnless he told the buyer it was a repro. Looks like one of the English made 101st that is much desired. Just my experience. Mort

Actually these type 8 "ugly bird" patches were made for the 506th before they shipped off to England by a company in New York. The metalic thread highlighted ones were made by the same company for returning vets in 1945. I knew they were desirable, but never knew they went for those kind of prices, wow. :blink:

• 4 weeks later...
BILL THE PATCH

JIMMCAP IS RIGHT MADE IN THE US A RIGHT BEFORE THEY SHIPPED OUT. A VERY HARD PATCH TO FIND. AS FAR AS BEING A REPO I NEVER SEEN A REAL ONE UP CLOSE SO I CANT SPECULATE ON THIS PATCH. THE YELLOW BDR A I THINK MAY BE VIETNAM MADE? I REMEMBER SEEING A COLLECTION OF 101ST VIETNAM ERA PATCHES THAT WAS IN THE COLLECTION.

Its right as rain and rare as they come and if your collecting 101 items its a ten out of ten.Scotty

Its right as rain and rare as they come and if your collecting 101 items its a ten out of ten.Scotty

Right as rain as what? That is not an excepted "Type 8" by all/any standards. Is it named? Have provenance? I am not saying that this patch was not made post war but just tell me who wore it and all will be right with the world of type 8's. I have handled MANY, MANY, MANY with PROENANCE and studied and own THOUSANDS of Vintage photos of 101st men and this patch never has been seen nor discussed. It may be a post war "one off" but it is not an accepted "type 8".

• 3 months later...

Greetings,

I respect the replies of two noted individuals. But, I'd love additional discussion as to dismissal-approval.

Best,

Peter

• 3 weeks later...