M-1 Helmet Cover

dfdenizyaran

Hello everyone,

I wonder if someone has instructions or a template for making a cover to M-1 type helmet. im trying to restore a helmet of mine with reproducing the local made fabric cover. i was told that they were copies of US helmet covers but with a locally made camouflage fabric.

Thanks.

Demirhan.

I don't know about a template, but all you would have to do is buy the cheapest 80s era Woodland camo helmet cover you can find and dissect it and make your own template....just an idea.. :think: ...mike

I was just thinkin that you could fold a cover in half, lay it on poster board or a big sheet of paper,make an outline,

then flip it over,match it up and do the same thing again. Then get your fabric and cut it out after you put your

cut out template on it.

ww2reproductions

I have made a lot of M1 helmet covers in Australian cam...before kevlar days....

Get a real cover open up the stiching and make a 200gsm cardboard template.

There is a left and right side so you fold the fabric in half to do it.

The fabric needs to be laid correct as there is a warp and weft...the way its woven so lay out correctly.

You will need an overlocker to do the correct edge stiching....PRACTICE first as there is a skill to the winding curves.

Most likely you wont have a twin needle machine so to cheat ....you french stich and then add one extra stich line correctly spaced.

Dont forget to do a half inch dart (thats a tuck) on the top of cover before joining two halfs.

Leo