AAF Technician Badge Collection

LuftStalg1

AAF Technician Badge Collection

I am proud to say I finally completed my standard, Type 1, set this year. The other sets will continue to grow as I find them. My collection focus is mostly Aviation with the AAF Distinctive Insignia and Technician qualification sets but I collect all kinds of stuff.

This Type 1, as I call it, is the standard issue size in Sterling and Non-Sterling.

post-15093-1284747333.jpg

This Type 2, as I call it, is the zinc plated brass variation. This set has smaller bars and many that were un-official / un-approved. I have struggled with this set as some people call it a theater made variation. I have a few different badges on different cards that appear to be US but they are defiantly cheaply / poorly made in comparison to the standard Type 1.

This set is not complete.

post-15093-1284747653.jpg

This Type 3, as I call it, is the larger variety badge and bars in sterling and non-sterling. I have several variations of the larger badge in 3 sizes, not including the cheap lead variety. There are several un-approved / un-authorized bars in this type.

post-15093-1284748090.jpg

This Type 4, as I call it, is the larger variety badge and bars in lead. These are mostly simple variations in lettering size and shape. Some have the round machine ejector markings on the back and some look more like hand made poured lead with rough back. There are some un-approved / un-authorized bars in this set as well.

post-15093-1284748633.jpg

This Type 5, as I call it, is the standard size badge but in lead. So far I have not seen any un-approved / un-authorized bars for this standard lead variety. This entire set shows the round tool ejector marks on the back side.

post-15093-1284749483.jpg

This Type 6, as I call it, is the standard size badge in lead and zinc plated. So far I have not seen any un-approved / un-authorized bars for this standard zinc plated lead variety. This set shows some with and some without the round tool ejector marks on the back side.

post-15093-1284749671.jpg

AAF Marksman badge qualification bars.

This Type 1 marksman set, as I call it, is the standard size marksman badge and bar in sterling, non-sterling, and stay-bright finish. There were only the two qualifications for Aerial Gunner or Aerial Bomber. There are several variations and manufactures of these bars and badges.

post-15093-1284749985.jpg

AAF Marksman badge qual. Type 2

This Type 2 marksman set, as I call it, is the standard size marksman badge with the large and small bar in lead. There were only the two qualifications for Aerial Gunner or Aerial Bomber. These are cheep and would be easy to fake so I would never spend a lot of money on a lead bar in any circumstance but they are still fun to collect.

post-15093-1284750266.jpg

I guess I have been seriously looking for these for about 15 years now. I have seen a few get away from me so I know there are more variations out there, just got to keep looking. The Type 1 set I just completed a few months ago. The “AP Propeller Sp” bar was the toughest and most expensive for me to get. I had only seen it once before and that was on a complete set that sold on Ebay for several hundred dollars a few years back.

Happy hunting,

Mark

Great collection of bars. I appreciate how you presented them for others to learn about too! Good luck finding the few elusive remaining ones.

-Johannes

Here is a shot of some of my loose Tech badge variations. The yellow are the small standard size (about 33mm by 36mm). The red are the larger size (about 35mm by 39mm). And the green are an even larger size still (about 36mm by 41mm). For all intensive purposes the red and green should be grouped together as only slight manufacture variations between them exist I just get a little anal with my collection some times. :o

I identify them as having any maker marks or sterling designations on the back. I also identify them as being the flat back or having the revere relief stamped pattern, faulted, impressed or what ever descriptive you would use to identify intentional recesses on the back side made during the stamping of the metal.

Mark

post-15093-1285004845.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

AAF TECHNICIAN BADGE

The badge and initial 24 qualification bars were approved by the Adjutant General on 16 November 1942, and promulgated by and illustrated in Change 10, dated 25 February 1943, to Army Regulation 600-35, dated 10 November 1941.

With the introduction of the B-29 and B-32 bombers, three additional bars were introduced by Change 4, dated 4 July 1945 to Army Regulation 600-35, dated 31 March 1944.

RC TURRET MECH REMOTE CONTROL TURRET MECHANIC

RC T MECH GUNNER REMOTE CONTROL TURRET MECHANIC - GUNNER

RC TURRET REP REMOTE CONTROL TURRET REPAIRMAN

Army Regulation 600-80, Badge for Army Air Force Technicians, dated 25 February 1943. details the requirements for award / issuance.

Air Force Letter 35-47, Wearing of the Air Force Uniforms, dated 22 November 1948, authorizes the wear of marksmanship and technician badges on Army type uniforms being worn by Airmen.

Air Force Letter 35-46, The New Air Force Uniforms for Male Personnel. dated 8 April 1949, states that Army style uniforms will no longer be worn by Air Force personnel after1 July 1952. Since marksmanship and technician badges wee never authroized for wear on the Air Force blue uniform, I would say 1 July 1952 was the end of the use and wear of AAF Technician Badges.

OUTSTANDING Mark!! I have mine with AP Mechanic and AP electrician I wear on My AAF ground crew dress uniform for USO shows, that is an IMPRESSIVE collection!

you going to the CAF show in October in Midland?

Scott

Die piece. Heavy Metal!

This is an item that sold on Ebay, last year I believe, that I thought was neat but did not bid on it. I remember it was VERY heavy so the shipping was a bit high for me but it did sell and like I said it’s pretty neat!

I am not sure what the “positive” was used for as I have never seen a badge with the detail on the back side as a negative. It may have been used to make the stamping dies or some kind of sample?

I have several of the “Diplomas” for the various bars I will try to get scanned in and add later.

post-15093-1285780709.jpg

Another pic.

Die piece. Heavy Metal!

This is an item that sold on Ebay, last year I believe, that I thought was neat but did not bid on it. I remember it was VERY heavy so the shipping was a bit high for me but it did sell and like I said it’s pretty neat!

I am not sure what the “positive” was used for as I have never seen a badge with the detail on the back side as a negative. It may have been used to make the stamping dies or some kind of sample?

I have several of the “Diplomas” for the various bars I will try to get scanned in and add later.

post-15093-1285780760.jpg

Last Die pic.

Die piece. Heavy Metal!

post-15093-1285780806.jpg