painted up dummy bomb

mmerc20

I didn't think this belonged in the firearms section and thought it might be a little more appropriate here under aviation. I just picked this up and its so cool! :thumbsup:

It is just a dummy bomb as far as I can tell but the painting is the best part. It has a little note like some of the originals had. I have no idea how to tell if the paint job was done during the war or later as a display. Is there any way to tell?

Either way, it's a great addition and if you are in the Raleigh area for the military show this weekend, it will be my centerpiece to draw attention to my tables.

Mike

post-3373-1284684236.jpg

post-3373-1284684250.jpg

It's highly doubtful it'd keep such a decent finish after 60+ years, but if you want to buy a lead test kit, you can check to see if the paint has a high lead content, which would suggest painted made back then. It wouldn't prove it was pianted back then but if there's no lead on the paint, you can likely rule it out as being painted in WW2...

General Apathy
It has a little note like some of the originals had. I have no idea how to tell if the paint job was done during the war or later as a display. Is there any way to tell?

Mike

Hi mmerc20, The paint job looks way too fresh, and I don't figure the word ' dis ' was in the vocabulary sixty-five years ago. Might be a starting point for you to ask some of the people who were around back then or just post war, see if they can recall the word dis ever being used . :think:

lewis

Manchu Warrior
Hi mmerc20, The paint job looks way too fresh, and I don't figure the word ' dis ' was in the vocabulary sixty-five years ago. Might be a starting point for you to ask some of the people who were around back then or just post war, see if they can recall the word dis ever being used . :think:

lewis

I am not sure how old the paint job happens to be and I surly not any kind of language expert. And with that said, I would bet good money that "dis here" has been apart of Southern slang for a very long time and well before WWII.