Victory Pin w/ Bell

siege1863

I have two similar pins with the one-cent pieces pressed into the shape of a "doughboy" helmet. One with the "V" painted red, white, and blue. This is the first I have seen where the cent was formed into a bell.

post-211-1284595431.jpg

I have picked up a few of these style pins over the years. Suspect your bell was made by the same source as this charm bracelet. Note the bell on it. I have and have seen other charms as singles like this. I would love to know who made them.

post-2599-1284942387.jpg

Jack

I have picked up a few of these style pins over the years. Suspect your bell was made by the same source as this charm bracelet. Note the bell on it. I have and have seen other charms as singles like this. I would love to know who made them.

post-2599-1284942387.jpg

Jack

Are all those charms made of cents?

Pete

Are all those charms made of cents?

Pete

Yes Pete they are all made out of cents. It fun to look at the bottom of the iron and see abe looking back. Same with inside the pot. A lot of work went into making them. That is what got me looking for them in dealer's junk boxes years ago. Most I found up north when assigned to Fort Devens. You see them on Ebay now but I have yet to find a true source as to who made them. Older dealers use to tell me anything from made at a local prison machine shop to an unknown craftman at his house. If anyone knows for sure please share.

Jack

• 2 weeks later...

We have a few pieces my mom got at a bizarre the prisoners put on at the old Ohio State Pen.. She lived near it as a child. She remembers them making the penny charms and things from matches and cigarette packs they sold at the different shows they put on.

Fins...

We have a few pieces my mom got at a bizarre the prisoners put on at the old Ohio State Pen.. She lived near it as a child. She remembers them making the penny charms and things from matches and cigarette packs they sold at the different shows they put on.

Fins...

Thanks for the response. I am glad your mother remembered them. Based on what I have been told I think different prisons and individuals made them. Some are very crude while others look like a master craftsman made them. The wooden matchstick prison art is common down in my area of the south but not the cents. Guess the prisoners down south were not allowed to use the heavy metal press that would be required to bend the copper cents. On a side note I have always been on the lookout for a Victory Cent made from the 1943 steel cent. Would have been harder on the press to make, but I am sure someone must have tried it. I just haven't seen one yet. Thanks again..

Jack