Differences Between USMC Camo P42 and P44 Uniform Sets

LetsGo82nd

I am a new collector of WW2 US camouflage uniforms and have a couple of questions I was hoping some more experienced members could help me with. Before posting this up I have searched the forum for the type of information I was looking for but didn't find all of the details. I have picked up a few pieces of WW2 camouflage uniforms recently but am having trouble distinguishing between the camo P42 and P44 uniform models. I see several differences between the jackets but when it comes to the trousers the only thing that I have noticed is the different types of buttons used. I am sure that there is a lot more to it than this and am hoping that someone could point the differences out to me. Secondly I have one Army HBT Camo jacket but for the life of me when I line this up side by side with a set of USMC camo trousers I can't see the difference in the weaves. Any tips here would be greatly appreciated as well. A side by side comparison would be great. My last question has to do with the paramarine jump suits. Did these come as a three piece set or was there just a one piece jump smock? I will post up some pictures of the uniforms I have acquired this evening. Thanks for the help. -Jeremy

J

The P42 trousers have only one small patch pocket on the rear(per side)/P44s have the large Butt pocket/pouch which covers the entire back of the seat.Also the side entry pockets have flaps/covers with snaps.There are subtle differances in the P44 patterns as to number of snaps on the pockets and the grommets in the waist band(one pattern doeant have them if I recall)number of belt loops etc.Basically the P42 had one hung open top front pocket(per side) and no flaps or snaps on pockets.

The Para marine trousers had two rear pockets with flaps and snap closures that sit at an oppisite angle fron each other and more toward the middle of the back of the trouser.The pocket flaps are angled.

As for the weave they should all be the same unless reproduction wich doesnt use the alternating pattern/weave of the original material.Think or look at an Army hbt shirt.This is the same cloth used for the camo just dyed camoflage.

The Paramarines had a two piece suit and also a smock.That were design specific for there use and needs.There is speculation that the P44 suit was an improvement for the earlier two piece suit but I have no solid information to this theory.Just something you hear from time to time.Keep in mind I have seen any of the 3 type two piece suits worn by Para Marines.I knew one Para Marine personally who had a P42 suit in his bring backs.

Here is a good picture thread by GIJIVE on the basic P42/P44 uniforms

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...hl=P42+trousers

J

The P42 trousers have only one small patch pocket on the rear(per side)/P44s have the large Butt pocket/pouch which covers the entire back of the seat.Also the side entry pockets have flaps/covers with snaps.There are subtle differances in the P44 patterns as to number of snaps on the pockets and the grommets in the waist band(one pattern doeant have them if I recall)number of belt loops etc.Basically the P42 had one hung open top front pocket(per side) and no flaps or snaps on pockets.

The Para marine trousers had two rear pockets with flaps and snap closures that sit at an oppisite angle fron each other and more toward the middle of the back of the trouser.The pocket flaps are angled.

As for the weave they should all be the same unless reproduction wich doesnt use the alternating pattern/weave of the original material.Think or look at an Army hbt shirt.This is the same cloth used for the camo just dyed camoflage.

The Paramarines had a two piece suit and also a smock.That were design specific for there use and needs.There is speculation that the P44 suit was an improvement for the earlier two piece suit but I have no solid information to this theory.Just something you hear from time to time.Keep in mind I have seen any of the 3 type two piece suits worn by Para Marines.I knew one Para Marine personally who had a P42 suit in his bring backs.

Here is a good picture thread by GIJIVE on the basic P42/P44 uniforms

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...hl=P42+trousers

Thank you so much for the write up! That is exactly the information that I was looking for. Sounds like I have 2 pairs of P44 trousers. So if I understand correctly there is no difference between the HBT material used for Army Camo Uniforms and USMC camo uniforms? Thanks again. -Jeremy

Thank you so much for the write up! That is exactly the information that I was looking for. Sounds like I have 2 pairs of P44 trousers. So if I understand correctly there is no difference between the HBT material used for Army Camo Uniforms and USMC camo uniforms? Thanks again. -Jeremy

J

Thats correct as I undestand it.Same material weave.I just hit some of the more well known differances in patterns.Other forum members are way more advanced and well versed than I am in the camo area.If you can get a copy of Alecs book "Grunt Gear" it shows some of the various patterns

Welcome to the fold...cant wait to see your cammo.

RD

J

Thats correct as I undestand it.Same material weave.I just hit some of the more well known differances in patterns.Other forum members are way more advanced and well versed than I am in the camo area.If you can get a copy of Alecs book "Grunt Gear" it shows some of the various patterns

Welcome to the fold...cant wait to see your cammo.

RD

RD,

Here you go. I will start out with the first item I got which is this set of P44 trousers. They are well used and there are a few field repairs.

post-3828-1284683758.jpg

The next three items I picked up on Monday. First up is another pair of P44 USMC Camo trousers. The buttons and belt loops on this set of P44s is different from my other pair.

post-3828-1284683910.jpg

And here we have a USN camo poncho, I guess this is more field gear than uniform but since it came with the other items I thought that I would throw it in. I also have a camo shelter half and shovel cover but I already posted those up in the Equipment and Field Gear Section.

post-3828-1284684061.jpg

Jeremy,

Compare the weave of your Army camo HBT to your USMC HBT. They should be very similar if not the same. The USMC weave can best be seen on the standard green P41s as compared to the camo items. Hope that helps? It also appears that your P44 pants have what collectors call 'tent' type buttons on the fly. A bit harder to find if one is so inclined to collect the different variations.

If you can, get a copy of "Grunt Gear"... it explains the USMC HBT camo stuff in detail.

I have read the book a dozen times and every time I find something else I had not seen the last time.

It usually means less in the bank account when I see something pictured in the book then find it for sale. It is great stuff to have though.

The Army camo is really tough to find, not saying that USMC stuff is easy...the early patterns are a bit scarce, plus the Para smock is quite rare.

You have some awesome camo there...good work!!!!!

Can anyone else clarify the US Army vs USMC HBT weave? Thanks.

-Jeremy

Jeremy,

Here are some close up photos showing that the WWII Army and USMC camouflage cloth HBT weaves were identical. The cloth on the left of the photos is the back of an Army Camouflage Jacket. The cloth on the right is one of the legs of a pair of USMC P-42 Trousers. I picked the same pattern area to show the weave and the slight variations in pattern spots as a result of different runs of printed camouflage cloth. Hope this information helps.

Army-USMCWeave.jpg

Army cloth on left, USMC cloth on right.

PatternVariations.jpg

Slight pattern variations.

Thanks guys for all the great info! This was exactly the type of information that I need. I kept trying to find differences in the weaves on the camo items and just couldn't figure it out, which now makes sense because there is no difference! I will have to pick up a copy of that book, I also just order the new 782 Equipment Book. Thanks again. -Jeremy