British Pat. 1908 and US M1913 sabers

45Auto

Other than both having straight blades, they have little in common.

Patton was an Anglophobe...if he had copied a design, it would most likely not have been British.

Anglophobe or not, if I can see the similarities, George could have seen the similarities.

Marv

And other than both having a straight blade, what might those similarities be?

The notion that the M1913 is a copy of the P08 is simply ludicrous. Gripes, guard, blade grind and design, are nothing alike.

It appears to me that the Pattern 1908 and the Model 1913 came out of the same general stratagy or theory; that a cavalry saber should be used for thrusting rather than slashing. Each designer or group of designers embodied the theory in different ways.

That George Patten spent time in the saddle with a sword is clear, the mouth of the scabbard is extra large so that a sword could be put back more easily while in motion. The Patt. 1908 has a wide mouthed scabbard but not as big as the Model 1913. The only similarity is the double

The blades are not at all the same. The 1913 blade is wider and stronger than the 1908, and of a double edged appearance. The 1908 blade is more thin and light. The 1908 blade is more like that of a modern day fencing saber.

It appears to me that the Pattern 1908 and the Model 1913 came out of the same general stratagy or theory; that a cavalry saber should be used for thrusting rather than slashing.

Absolutely. There are French, Austro-Hungarian, Nordic, and, of course, Spanish expressions of this idea from that period.