Do you know what this patch is?

vostoktrading

I've had this patch for about 25 years and I've never been able to identify it.

The way it's made kind of reminds me of some Vietnamese patches.

Anybody have any ideas? Thanks, Jon.

post-7885-1284494080.jpg

post-7885-1284494098.jpg

Hey there,

Don't feel bad. I tried putting this patch on the "other forum" a while back and still don't have ID on it. I do not think it is ARVN. It is much too thick and soft, very cottony, in my opinion. Anyway, it is very similar to the other swallow patch on this link....that one got no ID, either, unfortunately.

I hope we both find out what it is!

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/sho...hlight=all-bull

Bob,

You know I am the last person to question you, but if you look at my link, our patch has a four digit number at the bottom. I have never seen an ARVN unit with that, but maybe it is something late war?? or very early?? Ours does not have the "feel" of an Arvn patch. It is much thicker, softer, and flimsier. Whenever I can get my hands on it, I will send it to you, haha! Seriously, though, I have never seen numbers on an ARVN patch where the maker name generally is. I would like to know more information on who made them and when, if you have any info. Thanks again!

Thanks for all your input.

I know what you're saying, all-bull. It does seem different from what other ARVN patches feel like but then again, those are the closest I can compare it to. I think Bob is right. Now we still don't know what it's for... An airline logo? Mail service? Cargo? Kind of reminds me of LaPoste logo in France.

Anyway, thanks and keep your eyes peeled. Jon.

Where on earth did you find that?

I had two of these about 15 years ago. I sent them off as a "good faith" trade to a military shop owner in Las Vegas, NV and of course never heard from him again.

I'd never seen another one and to this day I regretted not keeping at least one copy.

When I had them, I was quite sure they were Vietnamese made. I wondered about the "Sea Swallows" as well, but this does not match the documented versions. It's not Air Vietnam, but I wonder if there were any other carriers operating over there.

This is proof positive that despite Cecil Smyth's efforts, there are still many Vietnam era patches that have been lost in the sea of history. This is especially true with designs that came out after the US withdrew.

I was sure I would never see this again. Thanks for sharing!

It could be Vietnamese but not military.

I have seen other examples of such. One was "COGIDO", green and white with a stylized stag. This was long ago being passed of as RARERARE Special Forces Recon Spy Commandos. COGIDO was a paper company.

I also remember seeing one that was, in sad fact, for a freight forwarding/customs bonded warehouse firm (worked with BEKINS the American van lines outfit).

• 6 years later...
hochiminhtrail

the patch might be civilian, Vietnamese workers tend to use patches on their company outfit, this is current even to this day