GAR Medal

emccomas

Can anyone identify this GAR medal. I can't find a picture or reference to it anywhere.

Very unusual style for a GAR medal. I have researched the various types of membership badges

and encampment badges. Nothing comes close.

Anybody?

post-12036-1284467395.jpg

post-12036-1284467408.jpg

post-12036-1284467417.jpg

The style is similar to a number of National Guard regimental medals of the 1910-1930 era. It's nothing from the national-level GAR, but probably a department-level (i.e., state level) or possibly a post-level award. The layout of the reverse and the use of oakleaves would make me lean toward an award rather than an encampment badge.

I would agree with Jeff. With the scrolling ribbon on the back, this type of medal would most likely have been engraved with a person's name, a date, and probably a salutation for services to the Post.

That being said, I haven't seen many of its type and it is not listed in Bishop & Elliot's American Society Medals. It is a very nice example!

Kevin

• 2 weeks later...

Nice medal!

I just dug out a mess of GAR and other medals and ribbons for our local Historical museum to have out at the open house they had yesterday and there wasn't any near that.

Terry

Hi Kevin,

Yes, if I don't forget my camera. Next time I am up there I will take some pics. Many are for IL. Deptment. I think the one man that most of this stuff came from was commander of the local post and he knew all kinds of people in the national GAR.

Terry

Here are some medals on display at a local Historical Society.

Sorry for the bad pics, battery was low, so I hurried. I can take better and close ups if needed

post-629-1285695666.jpg

post-629-1285695689.jpg

post-629-1285695723.jpg

post-629-1285695780.jpg

post-629-1285695878.jpg