Help with USS Oklahoma Flat Cap

Manchu Warrior

Manchu Warrior

I was playing around on the computer tonight waiting for the Ravens game to start when I came across this flat cap at a local auction. The auction had started at five and I did not see the photo until well after 6. I was hesitant to go because I figured I had already missed it and than decided to go check it out. I got to the auction and within 15 minutes the cap came up for sale. There was a left bid and I beat the left bid and I almost had the cap at $32. However, when it was all said and done I ended up paying $65 for the cap. I do not buy a lot of Navy items but I figured with the USS Oklahoma's history at Pearl Harbor the cap had to be worth what I paid for it. The cap looks dirty in the photo and after I took the photo I took a damp cloth to it and it really cleaned up nice, and it has no holes in it. This is my first flat cap and I just want to know what era it is from and did I pay a fair price for it?

post-1412-1284439116.jpgpost-1412-1284439126.jpg

post-1412-1284439131.jpg

My guess is that this dates from very early in the Oklahoma's career - just before WWI - when she was homeported at Norfolk. The Geo. Weinberg outfitters shows up in a 1917 Virginia Corporation register.

Very Nice Cap, It is a private purchase cap that dates to around WW1. You got it for a very good price as I have seen similar caps sell in the $150 to $200 range. :thumbsup:

Manchu Warrior
You wouldn't be interested in selling it would you?

Not at this time. I appreciate all the information. Thanks! :thumbsup: