WWI wrist watches

45Auto

Does anyone here collect WWI watches? Here are a couple of interesting examples:

dsc010802.jpg

A Swiss made souvenier wristwatch of circa 1917 - 1919. This type of wristwatch, also called a wristlet by the English, was popular with the troops in WWI. Prior to 1914 - 1918, real men did not use wristwatches. WWI era wristwatches are not hard to find with ordinary dials, but colored dials like this one are rare. Note that the flags are fired into the enamel, fake dials are made of plastic.

MVC-639X2.jpg

This is a U.S. Army Signal Corps wristwatch from 1917-1918. The AEF ordered wristwatches from several Swiss watchmakers, each dial has the name of the watch maker and "signal Corps USA" fired onto the dial. Some of these are thought to have been issued to American pilots, given that Army aviation was at that time a division of the Signal Corps.

MVC-638X2.jpg

This image shows a common type of watch band used at that time. There is a narrow strap through the wire strap lugs which is also laced through a wide under band. This type of arrangement kept the watch from being in direct contact with the skin, so that persperation would not eat away at the case.

Here are a few of my WW1 watches the first is a Illinois movement in a Depollier waterproof case has a crown that works like the canteen watch but stays on the watch the US Army signal Corps issued them.

P2022895.jpg

003-20.jpg

Here is a Elgin with a Pershing Dial both watches have what are called wire lugs that the part you attach the strap to.

Are these all from your collection?

At http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=47241 we show some WWI trench watches with protective metal grills - trench guards - over the face.

WWI vintages watches can be all over the place in value. I a quick check I found a recent Ebay sale of a WWI Cyma Signal Corps for under $90, but I found elsewhere two 2004 sales of the same watch, each for over $400.

Any watch I post is in my collection I collect some other military stuff but military watches and clocks I know what I am doing and when I stray I get took some times on collecting other stuff probably why I joined this forum because I am adding stuff that go along with the watches like wings patches knifes and it's good to know what the real ones look like.For prices it depends how rare the watch is I saw a depollier that needed a lot of work before the recession sell for big bucks they still are a high price watch the Elgin with Pershing dial sell between 200-400 here is one that sold on the MWR PX

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...mp;hl=WW1+wings

And that a nice Signal Corps issue watch.

I have been trying to buy a couple WWI watches, nothing fancy or exorbedently expensive but have had no luck. I tried schooling myself up, but can't seem to make the comitment because I'm afraid of being had, I know nothing about watches. Nice watches by the way.

Any watch I post is in my collection I collect some other military stuff but military watches and clocks I know what I am doing and when I stray I get took some times on collecting other stuff probably why I joined this forum because I am adding stuff that go along with the watches like wings patches knifes and it's good to know what the real ones look like.For prices it depends how rare the watch is I saw a depollier that needed a lot of work before the recession sell for big bucks they still are a high price watch the Elgin with Pershing dial sell between 200-400 here is one that sold on the MWR PX

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...mp;hl=WW1+wings

And that a nice Signal Corps issue watch.

Here is the right link on the Elgin that sold at the MWR forum

http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=37442

This relic was once worn by John Lallack, 113th Engineers, 38th Division. I can not make the name of the manufacturer, so if you recognize who made this, or can provide other details, please let me know.

post-203-1284811917.jpg

And the back:

post-203-1284812061.jpg

Under the 6 o'clock position on the dial it says: "Swiss" So the real maker could be a problem given that the Swiss had lots of small watch makers and a few big ones back then. Sometimes it's possible I.D. the maker by looking at the movement of the watch.

About the hands being rusted away: One of the types of plastic used to make watch crystals gave off vapors which caused the hands to rust. I change out such crystals when I get a watch with them. These crystals are often yellow in color from age. They are found on watches from 1914 up into the 1950's.

The watch looks authentic and of a style used in the WWI era. Nice inscription.

Nice watches!

I have 3 or 4 WWI era watches and I'll dig them out tonight and take pictures.

One is an Elgin, engraved on back with my grandfathers name and date. It was given to him by his college buddies when he went off to war.

Kim

This relic was once worn by John Lallack, 113th Engineers, 38th Division. I can not make the name of the manufacturer, so if you recognize who made this, or can provide other details, please let me know.

post-203-1284811917.jpg

Beast.

Looks similiar to an Elgin I have that came in a box of stuff from a WW2 vet

RD

Here's 3 WWI watches that I have.

The top one and the one on the right are Swiss made.

The bottom one is an Elgin and was given to my grandfather by his University of Illinois buddies when he entered the military.

Kim

post-60-1285202535.jpg

post-60-1285202563.jpg

post-60-1285202572.jpg

Wheres the best place to find watches like this? None of the antique stores in my town have anything military in them and its frustrating. Thanks

Wheres the best place to find watches like this? None of the antique stores in my town have anything military in them and its frustrating. Thanks

Here is something I posted above it's a WW1 era Pershing dial Elgin that sold at the MWR forum join the MWR forum PM the seller of the watch Scott Mccoy he service all the watches he sells I bet he has another he also has a lot of WW2 watches but it will save you money getting one from him if it's service that cost about 50.00-150.00 you will not have to spend on a service here the link of the last one he sold on the PX just tell him you want a WW1 military watch you never know what he has for sell.

http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=37442