Recent goodwill/surplus finds. DCU's ERDL

anelles

Had some good finds recently.

The best of the bunch:

1 - A modified DCU named to a 1Lt. Uremovich. (Paid $20 at a local surplus store that I've snagged several modified DCU's from)

I believe it may have belonged to this guy: http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/heraldn...ICH_S1.article#

0913mil_001.JPG

2- Very salty Navy DCU cap - (Paid $5)

0913mil_002.JPG

3- A complete 1st Cav DCU - (Paid $20, a little steep but patched DCU's have dried up around here)

0913mil_003.JPG

4- A Paraclete SOF BDU in Tan. Only info I could find one these were some that sold on Ebay for ridiculously high prices. (Paid $30)

0913mil_004.JPG

5- 50's Shirt ($5 at goodwill)

0913mil_005.JPG

6- Mystery patch, can anyone ID it? (Paid $2)

0913mil_006.JPG

7- Army Driver Swim Trunks ($5 at goodwill)

0913mil_007.JPG

8- 2 pairs of green dom ERDL pants (Paid $15 per pair at a surplus store)

Misanthropic_Gods

Which surplus store and thrift store are these? I have a hard time finding anything like this in the Chicago area myself

Great haul BTW...just some outstanding stuff for great prices!

Came from a variety of places, a new surplus store I found in Waukeegan, Army Navy Sales the surplus store at Belmont/Lincoln in Chicago, Goodwills in Arlington Heights, South Elgin and Bartlett, Belmont Army, and a few vintage clothing stores near Belmont Army,

If you're in the Chicago area Army Navy Sales, 3100 N Lincoln Ave, has several duplicates of the 1st Cav DCU, a few other patched DCU's, and some maybe legit SEAL uniforms, stripped of all patches except the trident. I've snagged almost all my modified DCU's from them.

Any idea if the Recondo patch is legit? It was in a bucket of patches ripped from shirts.

It looks okay to me. That patch could be no older than 1959 but I'd hesitate to make a guess on the exact date. I don't suppose there were extras of those diver trunks at the thrift store? I'd love to have a pair!

Misanthropic_Gods
Came from a variety of places, a new surplus store I found in Waukeegan, Army Navy Sales the surplus store at Belmont/Lincoln in Chicago, Goodwills in Arlington Heights, South Elgin and Bartlett, Belmont Army, and a few vintage clothing stores near Belmont Army,

If you're in the Chicago area Army Navy Sales, 3100 N Lincoln Ave, has several duplicates of the 1st Cav DCU, a few other patched DCU's, and some maybe legit SEAL uniforms, stripped of all patches except the trident. I've snagged almost all my modified DCU's from them.

There is also a goodwill in Lake Zurich, not much farther north on Rand (rt 12) than the AH one :D

Im going to check the Army Navy sales in the next couple of weeks, do you have the name for the one in Waukegan?

There is a place called Army/Navy supply Depot in Des Plaines, but I have decided to never go there again. The owner is a very vocal and obvious White Supremest. He wont be getting my buisness

There is a place called Trader John's in South Elgin I have never been too, I might have to check it out one of these days.

The place that gets most of my business is AWOL Army Surplus up in McHenry. The owner is a good friend of mine and he has some good deals on some things. He doesnt have TOO much that is unusual but there is the occasional gem. Thats for sure

patch is legit from what I see. Plus it still has the threads hanging off of which I love. Means it was definitely sewn on somewhere.

Could we get some more pictures of the Paraclete top? I havent really seen many of those but heard about them from a few people.

There is also a goodwill in Lake Zurich, not much farther north on Rand (rt 12) than the AH one :D

Im going to check the Army Navy sales in the next couple of weeks, do you have the name for the one in Waukegan?

There is a place called Army/Navy supply Depot in Des Plaines, but I have decided to never go there again. The owner is a very vocal and obvious White Supremest. He wont be getting my buisness

There is a place called Trader John's in South Elgin I have never been too, I might have to check it out one of these days.

The place that gets most of my business is AWOL Army Surplus up in McHenry. The owner is a good friend of mine and he has some good deals on some things. He doesnt have TOO much that is unusual but there is the occasional gem. Thats for sure

Don't know the name of the Waukeegan one off hand, one word of warning, a few pouches I bought today have cat piss odor I did not notice until I got home. They had cats in the store. Will be doing washing. The guy working at the shop was nice and prepared to haggle on prices, which were a hair high.

I actually think the swim trunks came from the Lake Zurich Goodwill, went to like 5 in one day, lost track.

Trader Johns was near where I grew up, a good chunk of my collection came out of there. I've only been to Army/Navy supply Depot once, the owner was more than willing to haggle which was nice, but your findings may keep me from returning. I've also only been to AWOL once, the worker cut the price on some (overprices) patched BDU's for me, seemed like a good guy.

Misanthropic_Gods
Don't know the name of the Waukeegan one off hand, one word of warning, a few pouches I bought today have cat piss odor I did not notice until I got home. They had cats in the store. Will be doing washing. The guy working at the shop was nice and prepared to haggle on prices, which were a hair high.

I actually think the swim trunks came from the Lake Zurich Goodwill, went to like 5 in one day, lost track.

Trader Johns was near where I grew up, a good chunk of my collection came out of there. I've only been to Army/Navy supply Depot once, the owner was more than willing to haggle which was nice, but your findings may keep me from returning. I've also only been to AWOL once, the worker cut the price on some (overprices) patched BDU's for me, seemed like a good guy.

Wow..nice find at the LZ Goodwill! I have gotten an M-4 Bayo with an M-8 sheath there for $5 and a 1st Gen Woodland Goretex jacket there for $25. No other militaria though.

Trader Johns is on my list for sure now :D

If I go to the waukegan one, I will give the items a good sniff before I buy them. I LOATHE the smell of Cat piss

A bayonet at a goodwill? Wow!

Trader Johns use to be a gold mine, for many years. Good finds are tough these days. They use to always have millions of fully patched BDU's but they seem to have got in the habit of tearing them off, or their uniform source has.

Last good find I had there was an 82nd AB marked M1950 rifle jump case for $35 and a mint US Navy stenciled RDF jacket. That was early this year.

I'd also recommend the Salvation Army store near the surplus store in Waukeegan, found a SEAL modified BDU there for $4 once.

Misanthropic_Gods
A bayonet at a goodwill? Wow!

Trader Johns use to be a gold mine, for many years. Good finds are tough these days. They use to always have millions of fully patched BDU's but they seem to have got in the habit of tearing them off, or their uniform source has.

Last good find I had there was an 82nd AB marked M1950 rifle jump case for $35 and a mint US Navy stenciled RDF jacket. That was early this year.

I'd also recommend the Salvation Army store near the surplus store in Waukeegan, found a SEAL modified BDU there for $4 once.

Ha ha, yeah..a really nice one too! I just recently sold it here on the forum. But my best goodwill find nonetheless

The only surplus place in Waukegan im seeing is Military Supply Corporation on Grand Ave, is that the one? There are 2 Salvation Army shops in Waukegan, one on Sheridan rd Just north of NTC Great Lakes, the other one is a little bit west on Green Bay

Ha ha, yeah..a really nice one too! I just recently sold it here on the forum. But my best goodwill find nonetheless

The only surplus place in Waukegan im seeing is Military Supply Corporation on Grand Ave, is that the one? There are 2 Salvation Army shops in Waukegan, one on Sheridan rd Just north of NTC Great Lakes, the other one is a little bit west on Green Bay

That's the one, the Salvation Army is just further west of Grand, might be in a different town.

Whats funny is I used to know the person who owned those Diver trunks. 1SG Phillip Mondrowski. He was in the Psyop BN that I was in when I first joined the Reserves. He also had a CIB, Pathfinder, and HALO wings.

Misanthropic_Gods
Whats funny is I used to know the person who owned those Diver trunks. 1SG Phillip Mondrowski. He was in the Psyop BN that I was in when I first joined the Reserves. He also had a CIB, Pathfinder, and HALO wings.

Ha ha, wow...Small world!

Some more recent finds:

1- 24th Div 6 color PASGT cover and 3rd Div 3 color cover

mi_01.jpg

2 - Seabees DCU with stenciled name tapes

mi_02.jpg

mi_03.jpg

3- North American Rescue Products CASEVAC medic bag

mi_04.jpg

mi_05.jpg

Misanthropic_Gods

Great finds! I saw the Seabees DCU before, I have always liked the stenciled ones.

Was the 24th Div Helmet cover the one with the corporals rank, or another one with just the "V"s

Great finds! I saw the Seabees DCU before, I have always liked the stenciled ones.

Was the 24th Div Helmet cover the one with the corporals rank, or another one with just the "V"s

Just the V's

Went back to the surplus store and dug more, I was delighted to find a second 1LT. Uremovich modified DCU and a BDU belonging to him also. The BDU had a laundry tag with the first name, positively IDing the set to the soldier in the previously linked article. Pretty impressive history, two purple hearts, bronze star, and a later career with a ranger battalion.

I will probably be selling the duplicate modified DCU. PM me with an offer if you're interested.

dcubdu.jpg