Show your painted and patched mich/ ach helmets.

VE45

• 1 month later...
Cap Camouflage Pattern I

post-153751-0-87722600-1480461658_thumb.jpg

2004 dated commercial Gentex Tactical Ballistic Helmet. Painted tan, 1 hole NVG mount drilled, with Velcro glued on for an IR flag on the back, and velcro for IR squares on the top and sides, the side velcro was removed. It was set up on the inside for a Headset.

• 10 months later...

Another one of my favorite helmets I've picked up over the years. This helmet has some amazing tribal art work on it. On the front of the helmet is a stylized skull above the word DEATH. On the left side of the helmet is a stylized sun with the words WAR and PEACE written above it on opposite sides. The back portion of the helmet has a stylized scorpion with it's stinger dripping out what appears to be poison. On the right hand side of the helmet is written C-33.

This helmet belonged to a soldier in the 30th Infantry Brigade Combat Team, 1st Battalion, 150th Armor Regiment.

The Sgt. whose name was mentioned on the helmet as being KIA, was one of five casualities the brigade suffered during their deployment to Iraq. He was killed July 27, 2004 in Baladruz, Iraq when an IED went off near his vehicle.

dscn2449.jpg

dscn2450.jpg

dscn2451.jpg

dscn2452.jpg

dscn2453.jpg

dscn2454.jpg

dscn2455.jpg

I know this is a bit late to the party, but this should be that Talbert: http://thefallen.militarytimes.com/army-sgt-deforest-l-talbert/280827

Very nice.... looks like the helmet might have been worn with a cover.

Thanks kindly. Absolutely worn with a cover. No way that a unit would allow something like that to be worn out in the open. That is why you always look under the cover. Can't tell you how many helmets I have found that are painted underneath a cover.

Thanks kindly. Absolutely worn with a cover. No way that a unit would allow something like that to be worn out in the open. That is why you always look under the cover. Can't tell you how many helmets I have found that are painted underneath a cover.

Thanks for editing you first comment, my remark was just an observation.

Since we are talking about the ACH/MICH, most of them have either slits on the helmet cover or a flap on the back of said cover that can be lifted, checking for evidence of it being painted is relatively easy.

I wouldn't look under the cover unless it is obviously not original to the helmet or has already been disturbed.

Oh, shut up. Nkomo wouldnt have found the art if he hadnt inspected inside.... Criticizing people and acting like an expert is not contributing to the forum.

You Find all kinds of strange stuff under covers. You don't have to remove the cover, I typically look through the slits or open the back flap but haven't been anywhere near as lucky as Arch. Normally all I find is a aggravated seller telling me the size is on the inside ?

Thanks for editing you first comment, my remark was just an observation.

Sometimes when we post something online, it sounds good in our mind. However, when putting ourselves in the shoes of those reading said comment, you can see where it can be taken as rude. That is why I edited my comment. I thought that my comment could be construed as being rude, even though that was not my intention. I apologize if it was taken that way.

As far as your observation, you are spot on. With the wild graffiti on that helmet, there is no way a unit would ever allow that to be worn. There is no doubt in my mind that this helmet had a cover on it and this is one of the reasons why the graffiti is in such good condition and not sun faded like Cap mentioned.

Furthermore, with all the graffiti on the outside of this helmet, there is no way CIF would ever take that helmet back. That is why I think this particular helmet ended up at the local surplus shop. Whomever did the artwork basically bought themselves a very expensive canvas.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Oh, shut up. Nkomo wouldnt have found the art if he hadnt inspected inside.... Criticizing people and acting like an expert is not contributing to the forum.

Mercenary25, do you have to take offence every time you see one of my posts? I never claimed to be an expert, I didn't even criticise nkomo, I just like unmessed with stuff better and made that comment in hopes that nobody would be taking the cover off of every helmet they find in the rare chance that it is painted underneath.

Actually when i was still in when we turned stuff in to CIF we would repaint things like helmets, as well as E-tools and Alice pack frames if we marked them or the paint was worn heavily and sometimes if we didn't feel like scrubbing every speck of dirt off. LOL if you walk around motor pools, company area's and barracks and look at the side walks and parking lots you can see the outlines of countless turn in items painted there. I would assume the SOF guys did the same thing with camo helmets for turn in at the time. Things have changed though, my wife has been dragging the same helmet around since 2011, going on 3 PCS's without doing a full CIF turn in. The Army has folks carrying a lot of stuff forward to their next duty station these days, from what I understand it's in an effort to save money.

This is a no hole CGF I got a couple of months ago, from the other items the guy was selling and the area he was in I would bet it was used by a SWCC guy.

post-100928-0-36987400-1508302576.jpg

post-100928-0-38837500-1508302587.jpg

post-100928-0-37133300-1508302599.jpg

post-100928-0-42214200-1508302642.jpg

post-100928-0-75740300-1508302674.jpg

This is a no hole CGF I got a couple of months ago, from the other items the guy was selling and the area he was in I would bet it was used by a SWCC guy.

Very nice, looks like it had a CADEX mount.

Mercenary25, do you have to take offence every time you see one of my posts? I never claimed to be an expert, I didn't even criticise nkomo, I just like unmessed with stuff better and made that comment in hopes that nobody would be taking the cover off of every helmet they find in the rare chance that it is painted underneath.

The problem is that most modern collectors won't take a cover off a helmet. This would be akin to taking helmet cover off a Vietnam helmet that has clearly been on it for 40+ years, and losing the 'shape' that its settled in to. While the paint may look tantalizing from what you can see, the fact is that the helmet has a cover on it at that point in its life, is just how most collectors are going to leave it. For example I've got a named EOD lid that has a really unique paint scheme, but that is covered by a reversible DCU cover. It sucks I wont ever see that camo, but its now how he wore it last.

Actually when i was still in when we turned stuff in to CIF we would repaint things like helmets, as well as E-tools and Alice pack frames if we marked them or the paint was worn heavily and sometimes if we didn't feel like scrubbing every speck of dirt off. LOL if you walk around motor pools, company area's and barracks and look at the side walks and parking lots you can see the outlines of countless turn in items painted there. I would assume the SOF guys did the same thing with camo helmets for turn in at the time. Things have changed though, my wife has been dragging the same helmet around since 2011, going on 3 PCS's without doing a full CIF turn in. The Army has folks carrying a lot of stuff forward to their next duty station these days, from what I understand it's in an effort to save money.

Good information, Ben. I used to see freshly painted helmets down around Ft. Campbell and always figured they were desert painted underneath. Your comment just basically confirmed my thoughts.

That is a great helmet as, Ben. As RedLeg said, looks like a Cadex mount was attached at one time. Thanks for sharing.

Again.....this thread is about the painted MICH/ACH . With modern helmet covers, most have slits and have a flap in the rear. You do not have to take the cover off to see if it is painted underneath.

Here is a nice example that illustrates the point. Paint spied through a foliage slit. Luckily the soldier didn't loop his chinstraps through the cover, which allowed me to slide the cover up a bit.

post-5712-0-06877900-1508334131_thumb.jpg

post-5712-0-97753400-1508334136_thumb.jpg