Show your painted and patched mich/ ach helmets.

VE45

Mercenary25, do you have to take offence every time you see one of my posts? I never claimed to be an expert, I didn't even criticise nkomo, I just like unmessed with stuff better and made that comment in hopes that nobody would be taking the cover off of every helmet they find in the rare chance that it is painted underneath.

Offended, no. Let me explain my position on this issue.

As Brent and Arch said, you can look in foliage slits or back flap for any possible painted camo or graffiti under it without ruining the unmessed and nicely shaped cover. When you do find signs, it is entirely up to you to make decision whether to remove cover to reveal it or leave cover as is. There is no wrong and right because there is still a history either ways and underneath could even tell more story about the helmet itself.

That is akin to WWII helmet collector finding the sign of 501st PIR tactical marking on the M1 helmet that was over painted and used in combat in late war. There are no wrongs and rights and it is up to owner of the helmet whether to start doing goof off project.

As I said, there are no wrongs or rights as it has history either ways, everyone has their own opinion on this issue. And it is entirely up to owner of the helmet to make that call. Nkomo and others like myself, would never impulsively taking off unmessed covers for very little chance of paint underneath. You can say your opinion, but your comment implied that you are righteous and we are wrong for doing it. Frankly, we probably have been in this hobby much longer than you have been, so we know what we are doing.

Thanks guys, yep it was a Cadex mount, still haven't figured out the light on the side but have ruled out surefire and sidewinder.

Yes most of us won't remove a cover (or pads) that have been used on a helmet but a lot of the helmets you encounter at surplus, pawn and gun shops are pieced together. For example there is a surplus shop a couple of towns over and not one of that guy's helmets look to have been used in their current configuration. If I picked up a camo helmet from him I would probably have the cover off before I made it to my car. A lot of the these guys will look at a deployment used or painted helmet as ugly and will try to make it look better by removing the original parts and adding a new cover, pads and chinstraps. The sad truth is that this more often than not will pay off for them. Your average guy buying a helmet wants it current and clean. On the upside you can still find real camo helmets on the cheap and with regularity because they cost about the same as any other helmet in most areas.

Indeed. It always help if ask sellers if they still have original and trashed pads/suspensions. Not always but occasionally we might get lucky.

Sometimes it were soldiers themselves who tampered with covers and stuff before selling helmets.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Offended, no. Let me explain my position on this issue.

As Brent and Arch said, you can look in foliage slits or back flap for any possible painted camo or graffiti under it without ruining the unmessed and nicely shaped cover. When you do find signs, it is entirely up to you to make decision whether to remove cover to reveal it or leave cover as is. There is no wrong and right because there is still a history either ways and underneath could even tell more story about the helmet itself.

That is akin to WWII helmet collector finding the sign of 501st PIR tactical marking on the M1 helmet that was over painted and used in combat in late war. There are no wrongs and rights and it is up to owner of the helmet whether to start doing goof off project.

As I said, there are no wrongs or rights as it has history either ways, everyone has their own opinion on this issue. And it is entirely up to owner of the helmet to make that call. Nkomo and others like myself, would never impulsively taking off unmessed covers for very little chance of paint underneath. You can say your opinion, but your comment implied that you are righteous and we are wrong for doing it. Frankly, we probably have been in this hobby much longer than you have been, so we know what we are doing.

I forgot about the radio? flap on the back, nkomo and Ben@HI reminded me of this and made very good points, you only told me to shut up.

I wasn't directing my comment towards nkomo. I was directing towards any new collector who may be reading so they would consider both sides of the issue, and then chose what to do, rather than going out there and taking the cover off every helmet the find in hopes that they will find something cool, only to be left with a messed with helmet. I remember when I first started, I messed with things, took them apart, left pin holes in things by putting on ranks too make them more interesting, came pretty close to removing the damaged chinstrap of a WWII helmet and sewing on a new one, thought about replacing the snaps of a 1st pattern USMC canteen cover with the lift the dots of a gasmask bag to make it "correct". If I could make a comment that would stop just 1 person from messing with 1 thing before carefully thinking about and doing research it's worth it to me.

If I came off as righteous I apologize, that was not my intent. You are right, nkomo at least has been collecting longer than I've been alive.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Actually when i was still in when we turned stuff in to CIF we would repaint things like helmets, as well as E-tools and Alice pack frames if we marked them or the paint was worn heavily and sometimes if we didn't feel like scrubbing every speck of dirt off. LOL if you walk around motor pools, company area's and barracks and look at the side walks and parking lots you can see the outlines of countless turn in items painted there. I would assume the SOF guys did the same thing with camo helmets for turn in at the time. Things have changed though, my wife has been dragging the same helmet around since 2011, going on 3 PCS's without doing a full CIF turn in. The Army has folks carrying a lot of stuff forward to their next duty station these days, from what I understand it's in an effort to save money.

post-153751-0-17512600-1508451745_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

I recently bought this helmet used in Iraq. Unfortuantely the 3rd Infantry patches have been removed but there is some graffiti on the cover. The soldier wrote "Kill Bin Laden on the right side.

Jacob Anderson

post-162535-0-44704700-1516901992_thumb.jpg

post-162535-0-44704700-1516901992_thumb.jpg

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Here is my earliest painted MICH Helmet. It is a CGF production helmet from 2000.

post-153751-0-30304600-1552680419.jpg

post-153751-0-57965700-1552680339_thumb.jpg

similar raised ridge camo on a CGF Gallet Spectra Shield High Cut

"Special Forces Soldier prepares to breach an entryway while training in close quarters battle tactics at Fort Bragg, N.C. 18 May 1999"

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

This is the webbing on the rear that I had not seen before.

post-153751-0-51370500-1552681991_thumb.jpeg

similar 1 inch green nylon webbing between the screws but on the front of the helmet.

post-153751-0-27357900-1552682012_thumb.jpg

Delta Platoon, Seal Team 3, Ramadi Iraq 2006.

• 4 months later...
ClaptonIsGod

Just picked up this patched 3rd ID woodland cover, close enough in vintage and might as well not discriminate against the earlier Kevlars. Any way to get a rough date on it? Googled the NSN but know that is just a generic stock number, not a contract number

58siSO2.jpg

T6GpEcq.jpg

61jprzR.jpg

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

contract is off to the right on the 2nd line, obscured in your photo by the fold. SPO 100 ## (year). Anyways being System Program Offices contract it is some time from 1994 to 2003

• 8 months later...

2010 Gentex "Tactical Ballistic Helmet"

Came from The Austin Texas area. Has been painted black and has an Ops Core Shroud. If I had to guess, I'd say it was AFSOC used. Still has the Original Gentex pads and chinstrap.

IMG_0852.JPG

IMG_0853.JPG

2002 CGF MICH helmet

Cames from the Fort Bragg area. Has been painted desert tan. Modified Oakley goggles. Gentex chinstrap (broken).

IMG_0845.JPG

2002 CGF MICH helmet

Direct acquisition from the original owner who was Army Special Forces. Has been painted desert tan.

IMG_0956.JPG

• 1 month later...
saxecoburg

MSA 2004 MICH helmet

Naval Special Warefare, SEAL helmet. Came from the Norfolk Virginia area. Factory tan that has been painted black and later painted desert tan. Velcro residue on the back and top. 3-hole Norotos mount.

IMG_0910.JPG

saxecoburg

2005 Gentex "Tactical Ballistic Helmet"

Came from The Dallas Fort Worth area. Has been painted desert tan and has a Norotos Shroud. If I had to guess, I'd say it was AFSOC used. Still has the Original Gentex pads and chinstrap.

IMG_0838.JPG