Show your painted and patched mich/ ach helmets.

VE45

LetsGo82nd

Here a couple of USMC lids from the GWOT. The first one comes from a MARSOC veteran and has seen lots of service with a couple different paint jobs. Helmet was used in Afghanistan. -Jeremy

USMC%20GWOT%20Helmets00001.jpg

USMC%20GWOT%20Helmets00002.jpg

USMC%20GWOT%20Helmets00003.jpg

USMC%20GWOT%20Helmets00004.jpg

USMC%20GWOT%20Helmets00005.jpg

USMC%20GWOT%20Helmets00006.jpg

USMC%20GWOT%20Helmets00007.jpg

USMC%20GWOT%20Helmets00008.jpg

LetsGo82nd

The 2nd one is nice USMC LWH with cover and goggles. Looks to have had lots of combat service. -Jeremy

USMC%20GWOT%20Helmets00009.jpg

USMC%20GWOT%20Helmets00010.jpg

USMC%20GWOT%20Helmets00011.jpg

USMC%20GWOT%20Helmets00012.jpg

USMC%20GWOT%20Helmets00013.jpg

USMC%20GWOT%20Helmets00014.jpg

USMC%20GWOT%20Helmets00015.jpg

USMC%20GWOT%20Helmets00016.jpg

Really like this helmet set. Here are a couple of photos of this exact type of helmet in use in Iraq during the 2003 invasion. -Jeremy

The Soldiers in both of those pics from OIF I are wearing the old Kevlars, not ACH/MICH helmets. The 101st deployed to OIF with Kevlar helmets. Sometime after they reached Mosul, The Division received a small number of ACHs to give out to key leaders. However, the ACHs did not come with helmet covers and the Kevlar covers do not fit the ACH. 101 Soldiers wearing the ACH in OIF I wore them without covers. The 101st did not receive ACHs for the entire Division until we received our RFI draw for OIF 05-07 in May 2005. At that time we received ACUs and wore ACU Covers. To my knowledge, there were no legit, 101st battle worn ACH helmets with DCU covers.

STRIKE!

Wade

Here a couple of USMC lids from the GWOT. The first one comes from a MARSOC veteran and has seen lots of service with a couple different paint jobs. Helmet was used in Afghanistan. -Jeremy

Jeremy, both these helmets are really nice, thanks for sharing :)

LetsGo82nd

The Soldiers in both of those pics from OIF I are wearing the old Kevlars, not ACH/MICH helmets. The 101st deployed to OIF with Kevlar helmets. Sometime after they reached Mosul, The Division received a small number of ACHs to give out to key leaders. However, the ACHs did not come with helmet covers and the Kevlar covers do not fit the ACH. 101 Soldiers wearing the ACH in OIF I wore them without covers. The 101st did not receive ACHs for the entire Division until we received our RFI draw for OIF 05-07 in May 2005. At that time we received ACUs and wore ACU Covers. To my knowledge, there were no legit, 101st battle worn ACH helmets with DCU covers.

STRIKE!

Wade

Great info. The helmet in this thread is also a kevlar helmet so it seems like this is exactly correct for a 101st OIF1 helmet set. -Jeremy

TransCorps

STRIKE!

Wade

Wade agree with Kevlars being only issued to the Infantry Brigades. I arrived to the 101st in late summer of 2003 and deployed right away to Mosul. The unit I was in, the 101st CSG, were issued Kevlars with no helmet patches. 101st DIV HQ units did not get them till later, much later than the combat brigades. Some special units as you mentioned were issued MICHs. One good picture of early MICHs being worn in OIF1 by 101st Soldiers is the below photo of a 1LT in the 101st Pathfinder Company.

I was able to purchase a pathfinder used MICH back about 9 years ago, soon after the Div came back from OIF1. The helmet is a early CGF manufacture, dated 04 29 2002 so early enough to be used in the initial invasion. Also notice the use of a Kevlar NVG mount, due to the fact that MICH/ACH ones were, as I assume, not available.

post-3697-0-67838600-1400169723.jpg

post-3697-0-90842000-1400169752.jpg

post-3697-0-82655300-1400169759.jpg

post-3697-0-13724700-1400169764.jpg

post-3697-0-14435000-1400169769.jpg

TransCorps

Sometime in mid to late 2004 after OIF1 the 101st began issuing MICH helmet in larger numbers At this time though the new ACU uniforms and helmet covers were not being issued. I deployed again back to Iraq in September of 2004, just after coming back from OIF1 in February of that same year. I can recall many Soldiers wearing the newly issued MICH helmet with the woodland/Desert covers. I myself was still had my Kevlar from OIF1, but we had added the 101st Division patch to our helmets. I did though acquire a new MICH in the summer of 2005 with the woodland/desert cover.

Photos from this period post OIF1, late 2004 and into 2005 seem to be hard to find. Still the number of reversible patched woodland/desert covers that I found around Fort Campbell after my return in December 2005 and then after meant they were used quite a bit until the issue of the first ACU covers. Many I bought were very well used and faded, meaning they had seen substantial field use. Of course I found many patched woodland patched Kevlar covers too, so I assume not everyone was initially issued a MICH.

Below is one of my mannequins dressed up from that late 2004/2005 time after OIF1 when the division wore BDUs again before being issued the ACUs. Also the other photo are just some of the patched MICH covers I bought back then.

post-3697-0-48661300-1400171893.jpg

post-3697-0-89681200-1400171910.jpg

post-3697-0-24003900-1400171918.jpg

avidcollector

USMC%20GWOT%20Helmets00001.jpg

USMC%20GWOT%20Helmets00002.jpg

USMC%20GWOT%20Helmets00003.jpg

USMC%20GWOT%20Helmets00004.jpg

USMC%20GWOT%20Helmets00005.jpg

USMC%20GWOT%20Helmets00006.jpg

USMC%20GWOT%20Helmets00007.jpg

USMC%20GWOT%20Helmets00008.jpg

In the 3rd picture what is the budgie cord used for? Was it used to retain a strobe of some kind?

LetsGo82nd

In the 3rd picture what is the budgie cord used for? Was it used to retain a strobe of some kind?

An IR strobe, a battery pack or communications equipment I would imagine. -Jeremy

...or these....

a Kevlar cover for EOD guys....

post-9167-0-25784600-1400907045.jpg

a regular Woodland cover...

post-9167-0-87518600-1400907066.jpg

....and a hand-painted multi-cam style PASGT

post-9167-0-09722600-1400907076.jpg

avidcollector

Were do you guys find these amazing helmet, I really want some combat/soldier used helmets!!! PLEASE HELP!!!

• 2 weeks later...
avidcollector1

well I feel dumb I passed up a CVC helmet with all communication equipment in it for $20 at the local surplus store about a week ago, went into day to see if they still had it, it sold :'(

An AFSOC (CCT/Pararescue/TACP/JTAC) used ACH with velcro modifications. This specific modification has been seen being used by ASFSOC in the past.

This is an MSA/Gallet helmet that is heavily used as evidenced by the paint chipping on the sides and top. Date of manufacture is February of 2003. Manufacturer tags are almost completely unreadable.

02110.jpg
02210.jpg
02310.jpg
02410.jpg
02610.jpg

Pictures of similar velcro modification in use with the 320th Special Tactics Squadron (Pararescue and CCT).

10032710.jpg
10032711.jpg

DAEGU AIR BASE, Republic of Korea -- Pararescuemen and a combat controller from the 320th Special Tactics Squadron approach a simulated wounded soldier during a mass casualty exercise here March 27. The scenario is part of the 353rd Special Operations Group’s annual operational readiness exercise. (U.S. Air Force photo by Tech. Sgt. Aaron Cram)

Thanks for the comment, RedLeg. I have had this helmet in the collection since February, but haven't posted it. I knew it was AFSOC when I originally bought it, but I wanted to have photographic evidence of a similar velcro modification in use (especially seeing how this is a fairly obscure helmet modification).

I know that this helmet isn't painted or patched but I wanted to share it because this is the helmet I use for ROTC, yes I'm in high school I'm only 15. The school don't the program no more sadly but when we had it and I signed up for it the helmet I was going to be using a PASGT and I don't like them what so ever because of weight and the suspension system and luckily I had a ACH I bought off a friend of mine and I put a NVG mount and and ARM on it to make it look cooler than everyone's PASGT. So I hope you guys enjoy the pictures.

I wanted to address this as maybe no one else has. First of all as an Infantryman of 22 years, there is no exact science to painting things or exact codes. When a soldier gets back from the field or combat or whatever, all of the equipment gets inspected by the Squad Leader on up to the CO. Remember the old WWII maxim: "if it moves salute it, if it doesn't, paint it". So the following things get painted. The E tool, always black. Yes they used to be OD, but you paint it black. Helmet, Whatever color of OD paint that you have around. Yes, OD, sure the new color is Foliage green, but they just normally get painted OD green. Never black, never tan. This of course is for regular infantry, not SF. Because the cover goes on it eventually, so it does not matter what color it is. Back when we had the ALICE pack, the frame got painted too, either OD or black was acceptable. So ACH helmets, and that is really what they are called in the regular infantry, Rangers and SF call them MICH but we call them ACH get painted in whatever color OD you get the paint in. The supply sergeant may or may not have paint, normally they do not, so you take your happy goat smellin rump over to the PX and pick up some OD paint, most of the time it is that commercially available rustolium or whatever they actually have in stock, usually you would combine this purchase with some hater air and some dip or smokes, like a good grunt. Turn in, so if you are turning your gear in to CIF, that is the Central Issue Facility, you MUST as in REQUIRED to paint your stuff, or it will not pass inspection to turn it in. They don't care if it is foliage or OD green, just as long as it is and that is that. If for some reason you managed to paint it coyote tan or put velcro on it. All that must come off. So the question is, do you want to restore your helmet to the original factory or finish? Or do you want it to look like a soldier used it? Then you can go down to Lowes, Home Depot or Ace or Wally World, and pick up a can of OD paint and go to town., Oh yes, one other thing, CVC helmets. These along with all other BII for a combat vehicle, can be whatever color you want, as long as it is either black, tan or OD. They can even be glossy finish too, It all depends on what color your TC or BC or whatever bought that day prior to the inspection. Normally the stencils with the vehicle number are whatever color your platoon is, like red blue or white, etc. Like first platoon will be white, so the number B-12 may be painted in white on the front or back of the helmet shell, etc.

That is my view as a Sergeant First Class 11B48B4, Hooah.

avidcollector1

I wanted to address this as maybe no one else has. First of all as an Infantryman of 22 years, there is no exact science to painting things or exact codes. When a soldier gets back from the field or combat or whatever, all of the equipment gets inspected by the Squad Leader on up to the CO. Remember the old WWII maxim: "if it moves salute it, if it doesn't, paint it". So the following things get painted. The E tool, always black. Yes they used to be OD, but you paint it black. Helmet, Whatever color of OD paint that you have around. Yes, OD, sure the new color is Foliage green, but they just normally get painted OD green. Never black, never tan. This of course is for regular infantry, not SF. Because the cover goes on it eventually, so it does not matter what color it is. Back when we had the ALICE pack, the frame got painted too, either OD or black was acceptable. So ACH helmets, and that is really what they are called in the regular infantry, Rangers and SF call them MICH but we call them ACH get painted in whatever color OD you get the paint in. The supply sergeant may or may not have paint, normally they do not, so you take your happy goat smellin rump over to the PX and pick up some OD paint, most of the time it is that commercially available rustolium or whatever they actually have in stock, usually you would combine this purchase with some hater air and some dip or smokes, like a good grunt. Turn in, so if you are turning your gear in to CIF, that is the Central Issue Facility, you MUST as in REQUIRED to paint your stuff, or it will not pass inspection to turn it in. They don't care if it is foliage or OD green, just as long as it is and that is that. If for some reason you managed to paint it coyote tan or put velcro on it. All that must come off. So the question is, do you want to restore your helmet to the original factory or finish? Or do you want it to look like a soldier used it? Then you can go down to Lowes, Home Depot or Ace or Wally World, and pick up a can of OD paint and go to town., Oh yes, one other thing, CVC helmets. These along with all other BII for a combat vehicle, can be whatever color you want, as long as it is either black, tan or OD. They can even be glossy finish too, It all depends on what color your TC or BC or whatever bought that day prior to the inspection. Normally the stencils with the vehicle number are whatever color your platoon is, like red blue or white, etc. Like first platoon will be white, so the number B-12 may be painted in white on the front or back of the helmet shell, etc.

That is my view as a Sergeant First Class 11B48B4, Hooah.

Thanks for the information on this real interesting, and The helmet I do use, and I painted it for the terrain I live in, I have had to replace the chinstrap in because I broke the old one when I was running a shooting course me and some older friends of mine setup, and just to ask your basically saying I should paint my helmet the original OD instead of the custom camo job? I'm not taking any offence to this just asking about my helmet. And again great info.

Thanks for the information on this real interesting, and The helmet I do use, and I painted it for the terrain I live in, I have had to replace the chinstrap in because I broke the old one when I was running a shooting course me and some older friends of mine setup, and just to ask your basically saying I should paint my helmet the original OD instead of the custom camo job? I'm not taking any offence to this just asking about my helmet. And again great info.

No not at all, The best thing about modern militaria is that it is not so collectible yet that you have to restore it or keep it mint. As long as you like using your helmet and you are happy with it, then paint it and use it for what it is meant to be used for. My commentary on paint is just a tutorial on how helmets are painted in the Regular Army. Now as far as my helmet for my post-apocalyptic preparation, it is painted camo, and is a custom SF style cutdown helmet. no cover, has camo, velcro, helmet decking and the whole nice yards. So you have to decide are you using a helmet for real world contingency and training, in which it could be whatever color you think you need, or are you collecting it for you own personal museum. I posted some pics of my collectible helmets on this post, mine from Iraq, and some custom MiTT helmets I have, whose will remain exactly like I had them back in the day, then I have my usable modern when all hell breaks loose helmet. And you are going the right track with the helmet color being the terrain you live in. That is the key to camo. Sure desert or whatever looks great, but if it does not match where you are operating, then you have to ask yourself, is it just for looks or is it for true camo. Kind of like the Navy's blue digital uniform, utterly worthless, just for looks. Bottom line is paint it the original color if it is a collectors item and if you are keeping with how is was worn when in service, or if you are using it, then go with what you are doing now. Attached is my post modern, custom militia helmet, not painted desert like the trend is with helmets, because I don't live in the desert, I live in Northern California grasslands, and woodlands. post-130463-0-36181800-1402499918.jpg

avidcollector1

No not at all, The best thing about modern militaria is that it is not so collectible yet that you have to restore it or keep it mint. As long as you like using your helmet and you are happy with it, then paint it and use it for what it is meant to be used for. My commentary on paint is just a tutorial on how helmets are painted in the Regular Army. Now as far as my helmet for my post-apocalyptic preparation, it is painted camo, and is a custom SF style cutdown helmet. no cover, has camo, velcro, helmet decking and the whole nice yards. So you have to decide are you using a helmet for real world contingency and training, in which it could be whatever color you think you need, or are you collecting it for you own personal museum. I posted some pics of my collectible helmets on this post, mine from Iraq, and some custom MiTT helmets I have, whose will remain exactly like I had them back in the day, then I have my usable modern when all hell breaks loose helmet. And you are going the right track with the helmet color being the terrain you live in. That is the key to camo. Sure desert or whatever looks great, but if it does not match where you are operating, then you have to ask yourself, is it just for looks or is it for true camo. Kind of like the Navy's blue digital uniform, utterly worthless, just for looks. Bottom line is paint it the original color if it is a collectors item and if you are keeping with how is was worn when in service, or if you are using it, then go with what you are doing now. Attached is my post modern, custom militia helmet, not painted desert like the trend is with helmets, because I don't live in the desert, I live in Northern California grasslands, and woodlands. attachicon.gifDSC07589.JPG

Ok good, because it would be hard to find that MSA gray/green color they paint their helmets in factory, and even at 16 now I love going out to the range and shooting/training. And as I said I got the helmet off my friend how is my age, he sold the helmet mainly because he needed money to fix his ATV. I paid $75 couldn't pass it up, and its better feeling than my upgraded PASGT.

avidcollector1

No not at all, The best thing about modern militaria is that it is not so collectible yet that you have to restore it or keep it mint. As long as you like using your helmet and you are happy with it, then paint it and use it for what it is meant to be used for. My commentary on paint is just a tutorial on how helmets are painted in the Regular Army. Now as far as my helmet for my post-apocalyptic preparation, it is painted camo, and is a custom SF style cutdown helmet. no cover, has camo, velcro, helmet decking and the whole nice yards. So you have to decide are you using a helmet for real world contingency and training, in which it could be whatever color you think you need, or are you collecting it for you own personal museum. I posted some pics of my collectible helmets on this post, mine from Iraq, and some custom MiTT helmets I have, whose will remain exactly like I had them back in the day, then I have my usable modern when all hell breaks loose helmet. And you are going the right track with the helmet color being the terrain you live in. That is the key to camo. Sure desert or whatever looks great, but if it does not match where you are operating, then you have to ask yourself, is it just for looks or is it for true camo. Kind of like the Navy's blue digital uniform, utterly worthless, just for looks. Bottom line is paint it the original color if it is a collectors item and if you are keeping with how is was worn when in service, or if you are using it, then go with what you are doing now. Attached is my post modern, custom militia helmet, not painted desert like the trend is with helmets, because I don't live in the desert, I live in Northern California grasslands, and woodlands. attachicon.gifDSC07589.JPG

Ok good, because it would be hard to find that MSA gray/green color they paint their helmets in factory, and even at 16 now I love going out to the range and shooting/training. And as I said I got the helmet off my friend how is my age, he sold the helmet mainly because he needed money to fix his ATV. I paid $75 couldn't pass it up, and its better feeling than my upgraded PASGT.

• 2 months later...