USS Avoyel

hink441

This is a ship's plaque that I bought in the early 80's at a flea market in Norfolk. The chair was also purchased there and is a WW2 era USN bridge chair. I got these two items for $20 then. I have always wondered about the value. The Avoyel (ATF-150) was a fleet tug used primarily in the Pacific fleet late in the war. I would love to hear your comments. Thanks. Sorry for the fuzzy picture.

avoyel003.jpg

avoyel.jpg

Salvage Sailor

Ahoy Hink,

Nice photo of the Avoyel in her WWII color scheme (and brand spanking new too). She had a very short career in the USN (1944-1947) and was laid up during the Korean War.

USS CHILULA (ATF-153) & her sister ship USS AVOYEL (ATF-150) spent most of their careers as USCG cutters. They were both pulled from mothballs and sent to the yards in Curtis Bay, MD in 1956 for conversion (see photo below, AVOYEL is astern of CHILULA)

(dead link)

Yards.jpg

Salvage Sailor, thank you for that great link. It was great to see those pictures. I wonder what happened to the Avoyel after her USCG career was over, and how did her plaque end up in Norfolk? Really a mystery but I love a good mystery. Do you think the "USS Avoyel" plaque would have stayed aboard her during the USCG years, or would it have been removed prior to transfer to the USCG? Thanks again from a ret. USN CPO.

Salvage Sailor
Salvage Sailor, thank you for that great link. It was great to see those pictures. I wonder what happened to the Avoyel after her USCG career was over, and how did her plaque end up in Norfolk? Really a mystery but I love a good mystery. Do you think the "USS Avoyel" plaque would have stayed aboard her during the USCG years, or would it have been removed prior to transfer to the USCG? Thanks again from a ret. USN CPO.

Well,

There are several possibilities.

Most likely it was removed when she was scrapped.

It may have been removed during the 1956 conversion or during a regular overhaul. The renovating yard sometimes adds their own plate next to the original, but builders plates are typically left alone.

It may have been 'liberated' by a sailor or yardbird. It's happened before & will again.

There ya go.....

• 6 years later...

Updating this old thread with pictures of the builder's plaque and two pictures of the Avoyel (ATF-150) at sea.

post-10825-0-10543700-1498429915_thumb.jpeg

post-10825-0-34869600-1498429925.jpegpost-10825-0-33692700-1498429935.jpeg