Mexican War era Uniform - Daguerreotype

Austin_Militaria

Can anyone ID this uniform as being US?

The Daguerreotype case is written on the inside 2.50 B. Johnson.

At first I thought he was Mexican but the B. Johnson name is throwing me off and the Mexican army primarily wore shako's.

post-2578-1284264374.jpg

Can anyone ID this uniform as being US?

The Daguerreotype case is written on the inside 2.50 B. Johnson.

At first I thought he was Mexican but the B. Johnson name is throwing me off and the Mexican army primarily wore shako's.

Are you sure that is a dag? Does the image look shiney like a mirror in the light? Is the back tin or glass? Tin would be tintype and glass could be Daguerotype or ambrotype . If it is a dag it would be pre or early Civil War. His jacket looks like a Civil War jacket but his kepi doesn't. I don' think the image is Mexican War.

Its definately an Ambrotype or Tintype. That places it in the late 1850's through the Civil War. My guess is Militia or Confederate too. Confederate images are commonly ambrotypes.

Kurt

Austin_Militaria

Sorry, I got the Dag confused a bit with the Ambrotype. Yes this is an Ambrotype. A few others that have seen it felt that this is a Confederate soldier as well. Thanks!

• 3 years later...

This most definitely looks like a Confederate soldier serving in the WESTERN theater of operations (west of the Ohio). The uniform is very typical of what was produced in this theater early in the war - and my guess is that the band going around the base of his cap is a branch color.

These early war images from the west are actually very scarce, and just adds to the desirability of the image.

Of note: The uniform is nothing like what was worn during the Mexican War, nor anything that was worn by Mexican troops at any time during this period.

• 1 year later...

I believe it is a tintype? Tintypes are reversed images. The case is a dated 1860's because of the designs. 1850's are different. You can see that the image has been in the same preserver since made. He is a Confederate. Bill

• 5 months later...