'Nam Army Chopper Pilot Grouping

36-tex

Cobrahistorian

It looks like he flew with 7/1 Cav (1st Aviation Brigade), 1/229 Assault Helicopter Battalion (1st Cavalry Division), 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (101st Airborne Division), and the 11th ACR.

The Warrant Officer rank insignia on the right is post-Vietnam era, so he was in after the war. Since the 1st Avn Bde patch is in-country made, my hunch would be that he flew in combat with 7/1 Cav and served with the others postwar.

Great stuff Mark!

Thanks for the comments and info guys! Some of the wings and pins have the posts broke off their backs. I think all of these must have been mounted at some time. The 33 on the Air Medal did catch my eye!

Cobrahistorian
Thanks for the comments and info guys! Some of the wings and pins have the posts broke off their backs. I think all of these must have been mounted at some time. The 33 on the Air Medal did catch my eye!

It was common for Army Aviators in Vietnam to rack up amazing amounts of Air Medals. I believe the standard was 5 combat hours flown per AM. I'll have to double check that. One of our recent retirees from my unit earned 69 during his time in Vietnam.

Jon

• 3 years later...

As a Huey Pilot for the 1st Cav Div A Co. 229th Tah Ninh 69'-70'

The Pilot above was in the Dark Horse Unit D co. 1/7 1st inf Div, 229th 1st Cav, 101st Airborne. Small patch on left is Flight school Ft. Wolters, Tx. Then Ft. Rucker Alabama.

AM's are counted every 25 combat missions.

http://www.229thavbn.com/JimWilson/

Welcome Home.