Show your WWI Studio Photographs

Jeffrey Magut

I think this picture and statue is from the ww1 era. I'm picking up a army one on Saturday, was told they came together. They are probably brothers. Will post that one on Saturday.

post-2501-1315600469.jpgpost-2501-1315600460.jpg post-2501-1315600481.jpg

Jason

Very cool photo!! If you need more info on him let me know and I'll try to find out more about him.

Rogier

Thank you,

Anything you can find out about him would be greatly appreciated!

I received some transcripts of Newspaper clippings, that appeared in the Blue Hill Leader after Arthurs Death. In those Articles it says "Charles is in France with Co. G, 58th Inf." (It could also be the 55th Inf. there are 2 Articles that talk about Charles one says 55th and the other Says 58th)

here is another quote that maybe useful

"Both Shirley boys are former members of Co. K. They enlisted in Blue Hill before the company was mustered into federal service and were with Co. K at Camp Cody, New Mexico."

Thank you,

Anything you can find out about him would be greatly appreciated!

I received some transcripts of Newspaper clippings, that appeared in the Blue Hill Leader after Arthurs Death. In those Articles it says "Charles is in France with Co. G, 58th Inf." (It could also be the 55th Inf. there are 2 Articles that talk about Charles one says 55th and the other Says 58th)

here is another quote that maybe useful

"Both Shirley boys are former members of Co. K. They enlisted in Blue Hill before the company was mustered into federal service and were with Co. K at Camp Cody, New Mexico."

Good morning,

Ok, here's what I found about Charles.

He's listed in the 58th Infantry Unit History as Private 1st Class Charles Albert Shirley, 58th Infantry, Company G.

Here's a copy of his WW1 Registration Card:

post-3838-1316764646.jpg

Rogier

Good morning,

Ok, here's what I found about Charles.

He's listed in the 58th Infantry Unit History as Private 1st Class Charles Albert Shirley, 58th Infantry, Company G.

Rogier

Amazing, Thank you very much!

Do you have the 58th's Unit history? I would love to read it.

Not technically a dough-boy....but someone whose service on the home front earned him a very expensive medal! A Boy Scout @ 1918 wearing the rare Liberty Loan Medal.

post-4995-1317327816.jpg

Not technically a dough-boy....but someone whose service on the home front earned him a very expensive medal! A Boy Scout @ 1918 wearing the rare Liberty Loan Medal.

McCulloch,

That is one of the coolest photos I have ever seen and as much as the Boy Scouts did for the war effort, I am sure it fits in the topic. I wonder a) how many requests you will get from people wanting to use your image in books, articles or for their personal collections or B) how many will just copy the image and never ask or credit you? :think:

If you ever decide to sell this one, keep me in mind! :thumbsup:

Allan

Trick of the camera- unsettling though-isn't it?

Another dough-boy....I love the patch-

Nice GHQ patch shot! I think you bought that one from me :)

Nice GHQ patch shot! I think you bought that one from me :)

:w00t:

Really???/ I thought I got it at a local flea market @ 4 years ago. Are you up here in Maine?

Here are 6 photos of my grandfather, Walter Fields. From Kentucky, he enlisted in April 1918, spent time at Camp Taylor and then transferred to the 83rd Division in Ohio to serve as a Wagoner (mule driver) right before they went overseas. He had more studio photos made of himself than I did when I was in!
I've attempted to post his photos in the order of which I think they were taken and it is apparent to me at least that he changed in appearance over the 1 year period he was in the service. Although he was a member of Supply Company, 322nd Field Artillery, you will notice that his last photo shows the 32nd division patch on his uniform along with the 322nd FA collar disk. His unit was attached to the 32nd at the end of the war and the return to the States.
Kim

post-22-0-42358700-1400613044.jpg

post-22-0-88743000-1400613046.jpg

post-22-0-87896000-1400613048.jpg

post-22-0-05855900-1400613051.jpg

post-22-0-65005400-1400613053.jpg

post-22-0-39518300-1400613056.jpg

I'm not sure this is a 'doughboy' given the collar. But he's wearing medical insignia and the photo is from Portland, Me. @ 1918.

post-4995-1317586478.jpg

I'm not sure this is a 'doughboy' given the collar. But he's wearing medical insignia and the photo is from Portland, Me. @ 1918.

He his displaying his shirt collar with discs over the standing collar of the coat. I have seen this practice in other WW1 US soldier images.

Ist ID- note additional ribbons besides the Victory ribbon (3 stars?)-probably the French inter-allied one and a town medal from Biddeford, Maine.

post-4995-1317993099.jpg

This is my grandfather - unit was 77th Division. Medical branch collar brass. Good resolution and large file size reveals the caduceus under the sergeant stripes, and detail in the hat cord.

ZZW8h.jpg

• 3 weeks later...