Show your WWI Studio Photographs

Jeffrey Magut

Hello all,

I recently purchased some photos in a lot on Ebay. Although the one below has not realy my interest, I'm curious enough to find some info and ended up here.

Sadly there is no identification on the back but sofar I know it's a young man from the USA in his militairy uniform from WWI, probable artillery and a corporal.

His uniform is most close to the one of Clarence Moser, posted by cthomas.

The only reason I signed up on this forum is that I wanted to share the picture with you.

Greetings from the Netherlands

post-6929-1245223722.jpg

Hello all,

I recently purchased some photos in a lot on Ebay. Although the one below has not realy my interest, I'm curious enough to find some info and ended up here.

Sadly there is no identification on the back but sofar I know it's a young man from the USA in his militairy uniform from WWI, probable artillery and a corporal.

The only reason I signed up on this forum is that I wanted to share the picture with you.

post-6929-1245223722.jpg

Hi Thunder,

Welcome to the forum! As you already know, your photo was taken during the First World War. He is an officer in the US Army and by the arrow on the shoulder of his left sleeve, you can tell that he is a member of the 32nd Division. The two "V" shaped chevrons at the base of his left sleeve indicate that he has been overseas for at least 1 year. Each chevron is equal to 6 months. There are two pieces of insignia on his collar; one is a "US" and the other is crossed cannons showing that the officer served in the artillery. He wears a "Sam Browne" belt which shows his status as an officer. These belts were only authorized to be worn overseas. The horizontal stripe on his cuff below the chevrons also indicates that he is an officer. His rank is on his shoulder and it appears that he is a Captain, but on this I can not be sure.

This is a very nice photo, thank you for posting it here!

Hello BEAST

Thanks for your reply and information.

I didn't know what the 2 "V" shaped chevrons stand for, just thought it had to do with his rank.

That explains the German word "unaufgezogen" on the backside.

He must have been in Germany and the photo was made there.

The word was added by the photographer and has to do with the photo and not with the sitter.

• 4 weeks later...
BigJohn#3RD
Hello.

To continue the series.

78 HT Inf.Div. - 312 HT Inf - Co "C" or "G". Oversea Stripes

What means the piècede fabric with the bottom of the left sleeve?

regards sol.

post-241-1185725631.jpg

I could be a designation fro a soldier serving as a runner :think: Can anyone else on the forum provide any information? :unsure:

John

Hello all,

post-6929-1245223722.jpg

I meant to bid on this photo myself.....but c'est la guerre.

The officer is probably in the 322d, 323rd, or 324th Field Artillery. All three were essentially Ohio units from the 83rd Div that were attached to the 32d for the duration of their service. They always were 32d patches on their uniforms.

Well, I have three portraits I recently picked up at the flea market that I plan to post in the near future, but I am posting for now a portrait of my Great Great Uncle Rolland Glenn Beck. I was excited to find a portrait of him at the local historical society while on vacation back home this past week. They were kind enough to scan it and e-mail it to me. I was also pleased to see that he was wearing the local medal presented by the citizens of Salem, Ohio. I had acquired one of these off Ebay about four years ago and I plan to work it into some kind of display with the picture.

post-3078-1248240982.jpg

• 1 month later...

Today took a few photos, made some scans and re-sized them in preparation for some posting. Thought I would add three more to this thread which were picked up at the flea market a couple months back.

post-3078-1252375282.jpg

post-3078-1252375316.jpg

post-3078-1252375333.jpg

• 11 months later...
gauthieb3sxz

Hey Guys,

Glad to be a part of the forum. I just started collecting WWI photography and have fallen in love with it. I only have a few dozen shots but am beginning to get addicted! Here is my favorite so far....

post-10756-1282703970.jpg

• 4 months later...

these two photos came with a uniform I purchased a month or so back. It's of the fellow to whom the uniform belonged to...Bruce J. Softley - 42nd infantry 12th Division.

post-22-0-98127000-1400612295.jpg

post-22-0-97456200-1400612297.jpg