Show your WWI Studio Photographs

Jeffrey Magut

OK, not a studio shot, but I couldn't think just where this one belongs, let alone coming up with a title for it!

post-203-1206146677.jpg

This is a reproduction printed by the Wildwood Design Group in 1989.

I have a couple studio photos as well but have posted them already on another photo thread. After reviewing all of these great photos, I am struck by the same feeling I had and made a comment about on the other thread.

When you look closely at the facial expressions of many of the combat vets pictures posted here, you can clearly see the hauntingly vacant, 1,000 yard stare sneaking through on their faces. Even the smiles look strained and rather put on. It is documentation of men who have been changed forever by the hell that they went through.

Here's my grandfather, David A. Weir of Fairfield, CA. The group shot was taken in the hospital in France, he was gassed. The back has the men's names and units. Love the hair.

post-1414-1206483770.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

All these pics are great! You all seem to have great collections (especially to someone just starting)! As soon as I can, I will post a pic that I just got of my grandfather. He was a member of the 79th Division, 316th Infantry, Company B and the 316th Infantry Machine Gun Company.

Thanks for sharing all your pics!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Well I'll share a couple postcard portraits I have . Picked them up at the flea market (Nashville Fairgrounds) a couple years back. Both have names attributed to them but I have no way to know where they were from. The gentleman they were purchased from told me he had an antique shop in Springfield, TN. The back of the card of the soldier with pistol belt identifies him as "Uncle Tom Lambert", the other as shown in top margin , "Waldo Johnston"...

post-3078-1236653033.jpg

post-3078-1236653071.jpg

Also, I got a kick out this at the time, but Tom Lambert was evidently at the same studio as the soldier in this image I captured from an eBay auction.

post-3078-1236654423.jpg

Also, I got a kick out this at the time, but Tom Lambert was evidently at the same studio as the soldier in this image I captured from an eBay auction.

Good catch 'beckster', both for picking these neat images up & for spotting they were taken in the same studio.

I'm glad to see there are more WWI photos out there. C'mon guys...let's see some more!

-Chuck

Greg Sebring

These pictures are of my Great Great Uncle, Jess Coller. All I remember my Grandmother telling me was that he was a cook at Camp (Fort) Custer in Battle Creek, MI. I wish I knew more about him. One of the photos shows he is missing his index finger on one hand.....hope it didn't end up in his cooking.

Greg

post-118-1236900516.jpg

post-118-1236900539.jpg

post-118-1236900557.jpg

post-551-1236904430.jpg

This is a picture of my Grandfather and friends. He is second from the right. This picture was taken at Ft Riley, Kansas in 1908 during yearly training of the SD Nat Guard. I know many have pictures of their relatives that they didn't know. I was lucky. He raised me until he died when I was 16 so I got to know him well. Robert

Some very nice pictures guys!

Here is my favorate WWI picture of Sgt Alex L. Arch.

Sgt. Alex Arch of South Bend Indiana was credited for firing the first American shot into hostile lines on the morning of oct. 23, 1917.

post-176-1236905293.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

OK Gents, I got off my butt and scanned in my favorite photo find. WW1 Naval aviator George Clark Mosely, ex Lafayette Flying Corps. Note the LFC ribbon with the Indian head pin below his wing. Also note the would stripe on the right sleeve. This is the same photo in the front of his book "Extracts of the War Letters of George Clark Mosely". I had the photo for several months, didn't know who it was and then showed it to a friend who had gotten Mosely's LFC badge, etc. plus duplicate copies of his book from the family! I bought one of the extra cased, uncut copies of the book from my friend and keep the photo with the book.

Charlie W.

post-3912-1238810802.jpg

Charlie,

My wife gave me this photo of a WWI American pilot five years ago for our 25th wedding anniversary. It's still in the original 10" x 20" frame (approximately). I'd love to find out who it is!

post-70-1238848014.jpg

Very nice! He looks familiar, however I'm not sure I can place him. The angle makes it tough to see, but can you tell if the French wing is an issue version?

Charlie

Croix de Guerre
OK Gents, I got off my butt and scanned in my favorite photo find. WW1 Naval aviator George Clark Mosely, ex Lafayette Flying Corps. Note the LFC ribbon with the Indian head pin below his wing. Also note the would stripe on the right sleeve. This is the same photo in the front of his book "Extracts of the War Letters of George Clark Mosely". I had the photo for several months, didn't know who it was and then showed it to a friend who had gotten Mosely's LFC badge, etc. plus duplicate copies of his book from the family! I bought one of the extra cased, uncut copies of the book from my friend and keep the photo with the book.

Charlie W.

post-3912-1238810802.jpg

Wow! Man that is a killer portrait! Great score Charlie! Now you have to talk "your friend" into selling you the LFC Badge! :lol:

GB

Your pilot looks like Harold Willis of the Lafayette Escadrille. P. 468 of Dennis Gordon's book on the Lafayette Flying Corps has a photo of a guy labeled as Willis that has similar hairdo and mustache.

Dennis' book is a bit vague as to whether or not Willis was actually commissioned as a USAS pilot, so more research is needed. I haven't checked Hall & Nordhoff yet, so will keep looking.

Charlie

Charlie,

My wife gave me this photo of a WWI American pilot five years ago for our 25th wedding anniversary. It's still in the original 10" x 20" frame (approximately). I'd love to find out who it is!

post-70-1238848014.jpg

Fat chance of getting the LFC badge from him.... There were actually 2 LFC badges in the lot and he thinks he knows the ID of the pilot that owned the 2nd one.

Charlie

Wow! Man that is a killer portrait! Great score Charlie! Now you have to talk "your friend" into selling you the LFC Badge! :lol:

GB

Your pilot looks like Harold Willis of the Lafayette Escadrille. P. 468 of Dennis Gordon's book on the Lafayette Flying Corps has a photo of a guy labeled as Willis that has similar hairdo and mustache.

Dennis' book is a bit vague as to whether or not Willis was actually commissioned as a USAS pilot, so more research is needed. I haven't checked Hall & Nordhoff yet, so will keep looking.

Charlie

Charlie,

That would be GREAT, if you can identify him. Thank you!

316th FS 324th FG

Here are a couple I picked up last week. These will be going in the for sale section soon.

This one scanned this way - even on the actual pic his legs look silvery.

post-2463-1239981387.jpg

• 1 month later...