Show your WWI Studio Photographs

Jeffrey Magut

Salvage Sailor

481975672_USNEM1FortShafterStudio001.jpg.3d6a83c4f267c4cb3c2d21a287b61f93.jpg

US Navy Electrician's Mate 1st class taken during a port call

Post Studio Fort Shafter Honolulu

AustinO - gonna be hard to top that one! That portrait has it all...

I kinda like this one from a studio in Trier, Germany. It shows a bunch of enlisted aviation guys wearing the early winged globe insignia on their caps & collars. An old argument used to be this insignia had such a short 'window' (roughly 80 days in the Spring/Summer of 1918), that it didn't see much use in the States before being quickly replaced by the standard winged propeller. Thus, it was somehow believed the winged globe insignia wasn't worn overseas because of its limited use Stateside. The argument went something along those lines...
In the intervening years, I have found several examples of the winged globe being worn in the AEF/AFG to include this post. I have even seen it painted on unit signs. Here's to learning such fascinating history together - CHEERS!

CT_Enlisted Aviation in Trier (note winged globe collar & cap insignia) 1.2.jpg

Salvage Sailor

I've contributed posts & photos about my Grandfathers WWI service with one of his cousins.  This is one of my Grandfathers brothers (there were seven) who served in WWI.  He shipped out for France on September 17th, 1918 & returned on June 26th, 1919.  Company E, 109th Engineers, 34th Division.

1410412009_WWIWHRothhammer001.jpg.dd850b7b2583fb7830cadf317986321e.jpg

H.B. Harrison Studio

1686442796_WWIWHRothhammer002.jpg.6359a1c05944fdb8ab9120b4b0190384.jpg

On 11/14/2022 at 1:28 PM, devildog34 said:

Recent acquisition ID'd to a Marine from Headquarters Co., 5th Marines who made every campaign.

Edwin Hight Hdqtrs 5th Marines (2).jpg

This is an absolute stunner. One of the best USMC portraits I have seen in quite some time. Congrats. 

I haven't been participating much on this thread though I have been following and enjoying it for years. I suppose that it is time to stop lurking and start contributing. I landed this studio photo of two S1/c sailors from the Denver Class protected cruiser, USS Tacoma (C-18). One of my areas of collecting focus, outside of baseball militaria, is this ship that during WWI, participated in five round trip North Atlantic convoy crossings.

52438340624_da8d3352a5_b.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Salvage Sailor

A photograph of a dogtired doughboy with a bad haircut in his worn out uniform taken at a Manila studio in 1920.

Why would I post it on this WWI studio photography topic?

538034281_Page0130003WM.jpg.bdabe4ebe22f93deef089f7597501852.jpg

He's a 27th Infantry Regiment 'Wolfhound' recently arrived from Vladivostok, Siberia, soon to be continuing on to duty in Hawaii.

• 2 months later...

I am not 100 percent certain that this dates specifically to WWI, but certainly is close to that period. I have a pair of USS Tacoma (C-18) studio photographs. This one and the previous image (post #1033) are both real photo postcards.

USS Tacoma Sailors Portrait RPPCb.jpg

• 1 month later...
gearhead1968
6 minutes ago, Eric Queen said:

Outstanding. Looks like this one is at a show? 

Yes, a friend of mine got it at the MAPS show in Akron and knows what I collect. He always lets me know what he finds. So he got it from him, should be here tomorrow. 

A Painted Portrait, Brig Gen Harry Hill Bandholtz,wearing the GHQ Patch in 1919,  Done actually in Hungaria, as Bandholtz was a member of the  Inter-Allied Military Mission in Hungaria.

Stetka_Bandholtz.jpg

Major General James Harbord, who as a brigadier came to France as Chief of Staff, A.E.F. working closely with GEN John Pershing.  Though an Army general, he for a time commanded the 4th Marine Brigade, and lastly was the third and final man to command the Services of Supply, the logistics operation of the AEF.  Bringing about instant improvement, he was awarded both the Army and Navy Distinguished Service Medals, his second star, and was promoted to Lt. General on the Retired List.

Harbord-James-wwi-SOS.jpg

ticking with the Generals theme, here's one of Richard W. Young, Brigadier General of the 65th FA, 40th Division.40thDivBrig.GenRichardW.Young65thFA.jpg.30f9d2bd1b8de250fca3ad97e9d0b546.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
JMcCulloch
On 1/17/2017 at 11:20 AM, cthomas said:

An interesting assortment of war veterans.

Front Row: Spanish American War veteran from Maine(always loved those Span Am vet medals), and a 1st Div doughboy wearing what appears to be a Croix de Guerre ribbon bar w/ bronze star.

Back row: Enlisted Air Service pilot with winged 4-bladed prop on his upper right sleeve, followed by three other doughboys (haven't been able to determine their unit affiliation). Note they are all wearing the same town medal.

I can't help but wonder if these are all local Maine men posing together.

post-518-0-57842700-1484669913_thumb.jpg

note the SpanAm vet also wears the Maine Guard medal. I suspect, given the town medal shape, they are from either Biddeford or Saco- or South Portland.