Show your WWI Studio Photographs

Jeffrey Magut

world war I nerd

Here is a nice portrait of Private Thomas W. Lacy Jr., 47th or 49th Company, 5th Marine Regiment wearing a Liberty Loan 2nd Division SSI.

Photo courtesy of the National World War I Museum

post-5143-0-64213200-1454995048.jpg

Here's my favorite in my tiny studio photo collection.- I call it "Brothers in Arms". Left: 374th Aero Sqdn. Support/service group at Issodun France

Right 2nd Division- I think 17th F.A.

Unnamed

post-2137-0-51079500-1455044193.jpg

GWS: Stunning image. Really like the combination of Aviation insignia and squadron designation. I dare say, if someone posted that fellow's tunic on the forum, there would be all sorts of comments about how it couldn't be correct--This photo shows the strength of images as primary sources.

Here's an oddball for today:

post-949-0-14547100-1455057245.jpg post-949-0-10255600-1455057251.jpg

Identified as Cpt Otis Brown of the 33rd Infantry Brigade, the officer is wearing an early British PH pattern gas hood. Not sure why, but I supsect he was demonstrating different gas masks, as I have another image of him in the same studio wearing an SBR gas mask.

The 33rd Brigade is a puzzler too...it was constituted as a component of the 17th Division (5th and 83rd Infantry Regiments and 50th MG Bn) but was never assigned a headquarters. These units never went overseas, so I suspect the identification is totally off. Perhaps, 33rd DIVISION?

GWS: Stunning image. Really like the combination of Aviation insignia and squadron designation. I dare say, if someone posted that fellow's tunic on the forum, there would be all sorts of comments about how it couldn't be correct--This photo shows the strength of images as primary sources.

I have to agree with you, until you mis-interpert what you see----which is exactly what I did. I stated that the right side brother in my photo was 17th F.A. WRONG! Instead of the background being a projectile(as I assumed) it is actually a shield. Thanks to the eagle-eye of one of our forum members here for sending a PM to correct me. I also did a bit more research and found a photo of a 17th F.A. patched soldier and the background projectile or shell was pointing down, not up! Since it's a black & white photo the actual outfit this man belonged to cannot be accurately named, but it is in fact a shield. Your's is a neat photo too--suprised to see that they used a studio for an equipment demo and photo shoot, but, as you said, the photo shows the strength of images as primary sources.

post-2137-0-22086200-1455131751.jpg

Identified as Cpt Otis Brown of the 33rd Infantry Brigade, the officer is wearing an early British PH pattern gas hood. Not sure why, but I supsect he was demonstrating different gas masks, as I have another image of him in the same studio wearing an SBR gas mask.

The 33rd Brigade is a puzzler too...it was constituted as a component of the 17th Division (5th and 83rd Infantry Regiments and 50th MG Bn) but was never assigned a headquarters. These units never went overseas, so I suspect the identification is totally off. Perhaps, 33rd DIVISION?

Hmmm... PH helmet and an SBR, two British gas defenses. Could he have been attached to the British 33rd Infantry Brigade?

mysteriousoozlefinch

A pair of brothers for my first post, great-great uncles of mine. Top is Captain Walter M. Higgins, Ordnance Department, French Warfare Division. He served his entire tour in Washington, DC and the picture frame is marked with the famous Clinedinst Studio imprint. Below is his younger brother, 2nd Lt. Jesse A. Higgins, Machine Gun Company, 313th and 44th Infantry Regiments.

post-161905-0-45217000-1455135240.jpg

post-161905-0-76764100-1455135247.jpg

Hmmm... PH helmet and an SBR, two British gas defenses. Could he have been attached to the British 33rd Infantry Brigade?

Interesting notion...I thought of that as I was staring at the ceiling last night. It is a path worth exploring.

The bugger of it is, the identification isn't in a period hand, but rather, MY OWN! I don't recall how I came up with the identification. So, I am blushing at my own sloppy research.

A pair of brothers for my first post, great-great uncles of mine. Top is Captain Walter M. Higgins, Ordnance Department, French Warfare Division. He served his entire tour in Washington, DC and the picture frame is marked with the famous Clinedinst Studio imprint. Below is his younger brother, 2nd Lt. Jesse A. Higgins, Machine Gun Company, 313th and 44th Infantry Regiments.

Strong images made doubly important by being family pieces.

Jesse's path was interesting. Was he in the 44th Infantry first. They were a west coast unit at Camp Lewis and the Presidio.

Thanks so much for sharing.

Good thought! Do I see a medical caduceus on the collar behind the US?

mysteriousoozlefinch

Strong images made doubly important by being family pieces.

Jesse's path was interesting. Was he in the 44th Infantry first. They were a west coast unit at Camp Lewis and the Presidio.

Thanks so much for sharing.

Other way around. He was drafted in September of 1917 from Maryland, was assigned to the 313th and later served with the 44th on the west coast. Interestingly, he would go on to be a Lieutenant Colonel in the Army Air Forces during WWII as part of the 4020th Base Unit at Wright Field near his home in Cincinnati. In civilian life he was a contractor.

Salvage Sailor

I've been posting photos from the 2nd Infantry regiment at Fort Shafter circa 1915-1918. The other regiment assigned to the Territory of Hawaii in the Great War era prior to the formation of the Hawaiian Department (Division) was the 4th US Cavalry. They were posted to Hawaii from 1913 to 1919 after service on the Mexican Border (1911-1913). These are not all studio photos, but they're representative of another seldom covered regiment during the Great War years.

They arrived in Honolulu aboard the USAT SHERIDAN

USAT SHERIDAN 1912 001.jpg

....and in 1913 began to acclimate themselves and their mounts with route marches

4th Cavalry Waikakalow Gulch 1913 001.jpg

In 1915 they participated in a Honolulu Parade

4th Cavalry Mid Pacific Parade 1915.jpg

.....with the band playing from the saddle

4th Cavalry Mid Pacific Parade 1915 002.jpg

...and posing for a few outdoor glamour shots

I Troop 4th Cavalry 1915 001.jpg

...upon their mighty steeds

I Troop 4th Cavalry 1915 003.jpg

I Troop 4th Cavalry 1915 005.jpg

....with a little dress up too

I Troop 4th Cavalry 1915 002.jpg

....and now to the studio photos

I Troop 4th Cavalry 1915 004.jpg

one for the folks back home

I Troop 4th Cavalry 1915 006.jpg

last one.....4th Cavalry Baseball Team

L Troop 4th Cavalry Schofield Barracks Baseball Team 001.jpg

I've been posting photos from the 2nd Infantry regiment at Fort Shafter circa 1915-1918. The other regiment assigned to the Territory of Hawaii in the Great War era prior to the formation of the Hawaiian Department (Division) was the 4th US Cavalry. They were posted to Hawaii from 1913 to 1919 after service on the Mexican Border (1911-1913). These are not all studio photos, but they're representative of another seldom covered regiment during the Great War years.

They arrived in Honolulu aboard the USAT SHERIDAN

Indeed, you seem to have quite the collection of various scenes of a little know part from that time period. Have you thought about starting your own thread on Hawaii in the Great War?

Here, we are focusing solely on studio portraits...

-Chuck

"I dare say, if someone posted that fellow's tunic on the forum, there would be all sorts of comments about how it couldn't be correct"

John (and all) -

This aviation guy's uniform is actually text book!

From Special Regulations #41:

"Enlisted men in the Aviation Section will wear a white, embroidered insignia with crossed propellers, with the number of their squadron above, on blue background, on the upper right sleeve."
-Chuck

John (and all) -

"Enlisted men in the Aviation Section will wear a white, embroidered insignia with crossed propellers, with the number of their squadron above, on blue background, on the upper right sleeve."
-Chuck

Chuck-I certainly appreciate this information, I too was a bit skeptical. Where are the Special Regulations like this found? I'd like to add a copy of them to the photo for future reference. Thank you.

Steve

John (and all) -

-Chuck

oh very cool! Now you have me going to my albums to see if there are any similar image in my scant aviation collection. Really enjoy the information in this thread. The learning curve is steep and exciting. Thanks for taking the time to dig out the reference and sharing it, Chuck.

John

Harumph....I feel like the old elephant that just discovered his trunk was good for picking up peanuts! A quick scan of my hard drive turned up at least two guys with this configuration. Live an learn...live and learn! Thanks Chuck, for pointing out what I should have already known!

post-949-0-48073300-1455198911.jpg post-949-0-32238700-1455198924.jpg

world war I nerd

I know I shouldn't post this here, but I can't resist ... aero squadron insignia on the left sleeve, the right sleeve and both sleeves!

Left hand photo courtesy of the National World War I Museum

Center photo courtesy of the John Adam-Graf collection

By the way, great images John.

post-5143-0-42129100-1455199895.jpg

I know I shouldn't post this here, but I can't resist ... aero squadron insignia on the left sleeve, the right sleeve and both sleeves!

Left hand photo courtesy of the National World War I Museum

Center photo courtesy of the John Adam-Graf collection

By the way, great images John.

Oh no! Not to mention that wild revolver and pistol belt! I am afraid you have reopened the "studio prop" can of worms too!

I didn't post this one because I didn't know how to explain the left-sleeve insignia.

post-949-0-53655300-1455203732.jpg

world war I nerd

In respect to the placement of the aero squadron insignia, the only mention of it I have been able to find so far appeared in Special Regulations No. 42, Change No. 6, dated October 15, 1918. It stated the following:

INSIGNIA, SLEEVE ,FOR AIR SERVICE. - Aviation mechanician. - A navy-blue cap let in at the sleeve-head seam and extending down the sleeve 5 1/2 inches from the point of shoulder. A four bladed propeller with center 3 1/4 inched from point of shoulder, embroidered in white; the propeller to be 2 inches in diameter, two of the blades horizontal and the other two vertical; with a white embroidered circle added, inside of circle to be 1 1/4 inches from center of the propellers; outside of the circle to be 1 3/8 inches from the center of the propellers.

The change to the regulations did mention's how the insignia was to be situated on the sleeve. However, it failed to mention on which sleeve - left or right, it was to be placed. Perhaps this why there is a certain degree of confusion in regard to which sleeve the insignia should be worn?

The other possibility could be that both the aero squadron, and the aero squadron mechanic's emblems were considered by some men to be a "chevron" which, according to regulations was to be worn midway between the elbow and the shoulder seam on the right sleeve.

Meanwhile, others may have perceived the emblem to have been an "insignia", as in Army, Corps and Division insignia, which regulations stipulated were to be worn with the upper edge of the insignia touching the shoulder seam of the left sleeve.

Aside from the left vs. right sleeve debate, I assume that those with no unit number designation above the prop were unassigned? Or maybe just couldn't wait to be photographed with their new "patched"

uniform????